Civ V stopped working with Steam

rlmorgansc

Chieftain
Good day folks,

No changes to the box and I had been playing Civ V using Steam for weeks.

Now I get the option for DirectX 9/10 and regardless of what I choose, Civ V never comes up.

No changes to my hardware and no updates made to my drivers.

So how in the heck do I figure out what happened? I deleted the game through Steam and then reinstalled it but again, Civ V does not come up.

Anyone else with the problem?

Please note that I did read through answers to kind of similar questions first.

Richard

Only answer I can give: Steam fails.

Moderator Action: Please try to post in ways that answer the questions or further the discussion. Yours does neither.

Does it say something like "steam is already running, you can't run two instances of steam"...anything like that?

Good day folks,

No changes to the box and I had been playing Civ V using Steam for weeks.

Now I get the option for DirectX 9/10 and regardless of what I choose, Civ V never comes up.

No changes to my hardware and no updates made to my drivers.

So how in the heck do I figure out what happened? I deleted the game through Steam and then reinstalled it but again, Civ V does not come up.

Anyone else with the problem?

Please note that I did read through answers to kind of similar questions first.

Richard

I normally use steam offline and only choose online to download patches

I had to do this since the last time steam or my internet connection was down i couldnt play and it pissed me off really bad so now its offline for steam and problem solved

Cheers

Does it say something like "steam is already running, you can't run two instances of steam"...anything like that?

Try bringing up taskmanager (ctrl+alt+del) and checking the processes for Civ5's .exe file. If that is running terminate it and try again.

You can also try verifying the game cache (right click on Civilization 5 in your list of Steam games in Steam (might be the only name), select properties -> local files). You will need to be in online mode for that.

Check to see if your video card drivers need updating (if you have an NVIDIA card go to NVIDIA's website, and same for ATI, if you have an intel "graphics" card you might want to consider getting a real one).

As well try the fixes suggested here:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6218-USFX-5568

It's a rare bug i get with steam i think, usually with counter-strike source. I just have to close and restart steam usually, but as someone above said sometimes a process is running but not really running and i gotta close it through task manager.

Top Bottom