America's Voice Acting

MerchantCo

Merchant
I hate it when America says this [when they are defeated]:

"You have mistaken our love for peace as weakness!"

America declared war on me, got killed, and then that's what he says? Ha. Washington always manages to piss me off. Anybody else hate Washington?

I'm sure many of the other leaders say just as hypocritical things, we just don't understand what they're saying.

The voice itself just sounds unbelievable to me as George Washington. I imagine him having a more stoic voice, not the whiskey-swigging oil tycoon voice he has in the game.

I imagined Washington to have a British accent as well, since he WAS British.

And don't give me crap saying that that accent haven't been perfected at that time, because they have been around for 400-600 years before America have been founded, so they had to sound like something.

Yeah. Washington's high-and-mighty and "noble" demeanor in game gets on my nerves pretty quickly.

How about Askia saying that he loves peace when he greets the player? And in the background are several fortresses that he razed... that's rich!

Hallo im askia and i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE peace :troops kill civilans in the background :rolleyes::

I imagined Washington to have a British accent as well, since he WAS British.

The voice actor for America isn't trying to use Washington at all; he's trying to imitate Bill Clinton.

And Washington wouldn't have sounded like RP either. Virginia was largely settled from the rural West Midland region of the UK. But the West Midland region itself has shifted since 1700.

Also the voice actor for England isn't trying to sound like Elizabeth the 1st either; she's trying to imitate Elizabeth the second C. 1950.

There's probably some other time period problems in the other languages, but I'm not familiar enough with how those have changed.

I agree that if we could understand exactly what every leader was saying, we would be pissed off at alot of them. I for one can understand four of them: Washington, Elizabeth, Bismarck, and Maria Theresa. Maria Theresa is quite a snotty little witch, even the way she talks. She is very arrogant and condescending. Bismarck, on the other hand, tends to be incredibly over dramatic. All of them are, really. I don't know why they play the same scene they play when the player is eliminated from the game when you simply kill one of their spies, (ie Bismarck says "Germany is destroyed, I cry for the future generations" if you so much as kill his spy).

Heh. I always manage to at least once (since she arrived in G&K), able to put Maria Theresa over my knee with my military might (no innuendo here... ;)), she always end up either eliminated or with a single city in a crappy location somewhere.
Elizabeth's snobbiness, and her quick denouncements are usually a big target on her chest, and I always end up taking her out eventually (she went hostile while I was 1st in military... I'm glad I had enough pikes for the English soldier's heads!), so she's barely a threat unless she is in the next continent, then she's kinda scary.
I tend to always ally and fight alongside of Bismark, so I ever so rarely see the wrath of his might. The way Bismark stands, looks like he has a stick stuck up his butt or something.
Does their snootyness of how they talk have anything to do with it? Maybe. Elizabeth has the tendency of denouncing early, and I always wind to building up forces to take her out first.
On the side note, I hate how Nebuchadnezzar is always grumpy, but he's a wimp when I outtech him and use my forces against him.

Washington's voice has always bugged me a little, but not enough to be upset about. I guess they wanted him to sound more "American."

A little off-topic here, but Assassin's Creed III did the exact same thing, making Washington sound American and not British. Now that I think about it, all of the "good guys" all sounded American, and the evil Templars, British...

Washington is definitely one of the more annoying civs in my experience. He invariably over-settles the map (except for one strange BNW game) and whenever I fight him and his peace-and-freedom people, its always because he declared war on me after doing something obnoxious.

I'm pleased to say that I'm one city away from a domination victory in my current game as Russia. One capital remains. Vienna. I will take pleasure in capturing it.

The voice actor for America isn't trying to use Washington at all; he's trying to imitate Bill Clinton.

Does this clinton-esque accent made on purpose? Washington was born in Virginia, should he have virginian accent instead (if there is any virginian accent) ? I'm not american, I just discover this detail when I came on civfanatics.

By the way, Napoléon shines by his non-corsican accent !

I always wondered why Theodora speaks greek instead Latin. Latin was offical language of Byzantine Empire during Justinian era. don't say because Byzantine became greek. in that case, Darius has to speak Persian instead Aramaic.

It also transfers to William. He speaks in an old-fashioned Dutch which is at one hand good, but he was said to have a heavy German accent, given that he was born and raised at castle Dillenburg, in Germany. So yeah, I think it goes for just about every leader, really.

I always wondered why Theodora speaks greek instead Latin. Latin was offical language of Byzantine Empire during Justinian era. don't say because Byzantine became greek. in that case, Darius has to speak Persian instead Aramaic.

Greek was the "official" language of byzantin empire, rather than Latin, which was more common in the Western Empire (and become inused by the 7th century, replaced by Medieval greek)

Greek was the "official" language of byzantin empire, rather than Latin, which was more common in the Western Empire (and become inused by the 7th century, replaced by Medieval greek)

No, it wasn't. at least during Justinian-Theodora era. greek became offical language of Byzantine Empire after 620. and if you want to know, Theodora lived in 6th century (500-548) and in her era Latin was offical language of Byzantine Empire.

Top Bottom