Arioch's Analyst Thread

Arioch could you please include the Special Abilities' effects that we know of. They won't post them on the confirmed features here.

I know we what Rome's and the Iroquis' bonuses are, do we know any others?

Maybe you should add a page that analyzes all the various preorder options and what they come with... ;)

Nice work, will be bookamrking this,

I see your missing an ancient ruins picture, I found one on a great site with lots of pictures including some from an early "mock up's" of the game.

Feel free to look at all the pictures yourselfs :p, http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/album.php?albumid=36, I will clip off the ruins image for you to edit on your page.

There ya go,

Again lovely work, Nice Idea.

Also on your "tech tree" page you say "The Civ V tree is significantly condensed from the previous game, but most of the key technologies are the same." Which is true with some uncessary distinguishes being combined and relgious techs removed or combined. But with the assumption of Mech's in the game we can also assume the Tech tree will have more "future techs" So perhaps the line should be changed to,

"The Civ V tree is significantly condensed from the previous game, but most of the key technologies are the same. However the assumption is that it may be longer with a larger Future Stage than in previous Civ's."

Although nothing is confirmed so if you wish your site to be references on facts only and not assumptions then fair enough :).

2K Greg said:
Awesome work Arioch!
Thanks Greg!

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thyrwyn: Very cool, haven't seen that Social Policy image before.

Churchdown Yank: Thanks, I'll go scout WePlayCiv and see what they have.

What does the Iroquois' bonus do? Haven't seen that one.

12ag: thanks, certainly does look like a city ruins.

Dark Jedi06 said:
Maybe you should add a page that analyzes all the various preorder options and what they come with...
Too much work for one man, that. :D

On another topic, I found a bunch of new stuff in the second trailer at 1:28.

For starters, the city of Orleans has both a garrisoned unit (icon looks like Spearman) and a Musketeer sitting on the tile. So yes, you can have two units in the city. Notice also the Trading Post to the northeast.

The city-state of Geneva is in the background at top right. Note the fancy gold city UI border. I also notice that all the city-states appear to have black as their secondary colors.

At the far right is some sort of crater feature.

Below that is a jungle resource of some kind.

I think this may be the same thing I've seen at the edges of a few other shots.

to be precise thier units walk over forest with a terrrain penalty of 1 (same as walking on grasslands or plains.)

nice new pics there.

ooh on that link you posted, notice the options available for the musketeer (or not avaiable as there greyed out) fortify and below that, that looks like a merge with city command.

Love the site, thanks! That crater pic is probably a natural wonder, maybe same thing with those blue spikey things, can't really see them so well with the small pics.

Also about the tech tree, I watched that video that was posted a while back, and is now gone, the one someone made at a presentation. The tech tree doesn't have another tier so to speak at the beginning, it is just one tech, that I think everyone either starts with, or is the first one to be researched. There is no agriculture Fishing or huntig there. Maybe the first tech includes it. Also I'll try to find the post the video was first posted on here, I believe someone captured a screen shot of it.

Schuesseled said:
ooh on that link you posted, notice the options available for the musketeer (or not avaiable as there greyed out) fortify and below that, that looks like a merge with city command.
Yeah, good eye.

Tylerryan79 said:
Also about the tech tree, I watched that video that was posted a while back, and is now gone, the one someone made at a presentation. The tech tree doesn't have another tier so to speak at the beginning, it is just one tech, that I think everyone either starts with, or is the first one to be researched. There is no agriculture Fishing or huntig there. Maybe the first tech includes it. Also I'll try to find the post the video was first posted on here, I believe someone captured a screen shot of it.
Thanks, if you can find it that would be excellent.

There's a resource just right of Orleans which I think is Marble, but there is also one at the bottom of the screenshot, partially covered by the tile description overlay, which I haven't seen before and which could well be stone. (edit: probably iron actually)

Would the fancy gold border of Geneva mean that you have befriended them (or whatever the mechanism is called exactly)?

Earlier tile yield discussion confirmed here: no golden age, farmed riverside plains yield 2F1H1C as normal (see the overlay).

Note the yellow farm at the bottom. It doesn't have a resource, so maybe it is an indication it is still being build?

Lots of land still unclaimed in 1280AD, and, as we have seen before, unclaimed hexes within the civilization boundaries.

Very natural looking river shape, kudos for that. The water itself still looks a bit weird.

There is a special tile of some sort at the top, under the right two of the four scrolls, can't make out what it is.

Same area, there is a thin grey border outline going from the middle all the way to the left, but nothing corresponding on the mini map.

I think the icons on the right (pink hex, Musketeer, hammer) are the notifications that were talked about in the latest podcast. I.e. tile available to be acquired with culture, new unit build and ready to be promoted, and the city needs to have its production assigned.

At the far right is some sort of crater feature.

Natural Wonder - Meteor Crater in Arizona???

I don't know how many natural wonders there will be, but if they are more than a dozen,
there could be two or three famous landmarks from each continent. (there's already one from North America - Old Faithful)

The Iroquis bonus is quicker movement through woods. Yeah, it's not great.

A bonus like this can be great in wartime. A big part of tactical strategy is to use the terrain to your advantage. For example, putting an archer behind one tile of forest is great, because normal units will not be able to enter that forest tile and attack the archers on the same turn. But if your opponent can walk through forests like it ain't no thing, you're going to have to plan very differently. Especially when you can't do the same thing.

I think this may be the same thing I've seen at the edges of a few other shots.

Indigo??? But Indigo is a plant, and these images look like blue crystals...

There are some blue crystals associated with copper and Aluminium, but I don't think it makes sense to use them it to represent Copper and Aluminium. :confused:

Sapphires, maybe?

1. Would the fancy gold border of Geneva mean that you have befriended them (or whatever the mechanism is called exactly)?

2. Same area, there is a thin grey border outline going from the middle all the way to the left, but nothing corresponding on the mini map.

1. Interesting, it may well indicate relation to the city state yeah, would speed up noticing which city states are friendly and which are not. Possible that it utilises the traffic light colours, Green = Friendly, Yellow = Neutral, Red = Un-Friendly.

Also some other interesting things to point out.

The geneva tag has the following on it, bit blurry so its hard to see. Going from left to right.

"An Odd Symbol" - perhaps to easily indentify its "type" be that maritime/militaristic or cultural. On our civ in the screen shot that space is blank. I think the symbol shown might be maritime, it sort of looks like a boat or sea pendant.
"GENEVA" - The name of the city state
"(6/20) - its a bit hard to make out, but thats my guess at what it says, as to what this refers to, I have no idea, maybe the amount of conditions needed to be complete to make it friendly, i.e need to complete 20 favours and you have done 6. Thats possible, and fits in with my "Yellow = Neutal Theory"
"10" - The population of the city state.

Above the tag is "Shield Icon" 16 all coloured yellow. I have no idea what thats about other than my assumption yellow might mean Neutral.

Troops, You can see troops with the same colour Icon as Geneva's Tag, so this confirms that City States will have armies of their own. Attack them at your own risk :D.

2. This one is easy, The border is just like Geneva's all be it a different colour, this border type is different to that of the Civ, the civ's being double-coloured borders and the city state only having a single colour thin border, this seems to be a purposeful distinction to again ease the quick thought process "oh thats so and so"

So to clarify, I do tend to lose track of the point, That thin grey border belongs to another City State, one with a grey tag & grey icon troops obviously :). Though none of those are shown on the screen shot, I guess they are all just slighty north.

Excellent site Arioch.

A couple of us spotted Notre Dame as a wonder. I heard it in the bootleg audio from the E3 demo. I never saw the video before it was taken down everywhere so I don't know if it's there.

Link to the post from one guy who spotted it before I posted about it later:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9305045&postcount=937

Thanks for bumping my post.

Besides Notre Dame, that audio confirmation gems as they talk about a mine.

On the terrains page would the following changes make sense?
* Change mountains from a terrain feature to a terrain type. They are the base for a tile with 0 food, hammers or commerce and can't be improved. The only thing you could do in Civ 4 was run a road on the diagonal. There seem to have been some comments recently that you can't make roads on mountains in Civ 5.
* Change swamps from a terrain feature to a terrain type. Is there any evidence it is "on top" of plains, grasslands, etc? Is it possible there could be forest on swamp?
* Move the crater to the natural wonder section? I agree that it seems more likely that is the case.

If looking for potential image sources, in the closed demo video (if you have it) there were oases, ruins and Stonehenge.

I confirmed the social policies in this thread and mentioned a couple other subitems in Tradition: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9294071#post9294071 with the order relative to the screenshot being listed is here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=9304722#post9304722

I saw National Epic in the E3 demo I attended. Could it be one of the items you are trying to figure out on Education, Philosophy, or other tech?

In that demo there also was a nuclear symbol in the strategic resources bar at the top of the page. So its pretty clear that uranium is in the game. Expect it will limit the number of missiles and possibly certain ships.

As you are looking at the UI, the symbol for food is a green apple instead of bread this time. It is also the green dots in the city view (http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/62125/...page=mediaFull).

A few fixes:

* When you are on the terrain page, the link for buildings doesn't work as it is linked to the terrain page.
* There is a typo in Chichen Itza in your list of buildings (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichen_Itza)

Thanks for providing a picture of Oxford in the other thread.

From 2k Greg in another thread:
I just checked, and at least in the current build you can have up to 22 other civs (23 including yourself.) This is not necessarily the final number as I'm looking at a beta version of the game so don't depend on it and don't yell at me if it changes! I'm not sure if this number can be easily raised in lua or if it would require a source code modification to change; I'll look in to that.

Oh, and that number does not include city-states. You can have a ton of city-states (there are typically more city-states than civs.)
Emphasis mine.

Top Bottom