Sailing Ships Reskins

Should be quite simple to add team colors to this units in a way, which pleases you: Open the alpha cannal in the main dds as a new layer over the texture. Everywhere where the alpha channel is black (R:0, G:0, B:0) the team color will be shown over the texture. Sometimes it might look better, if the texture is white were the team color is, but normally it is not nessassary. Everwhere where the alpha channel is white (R:255, G:255, B:255) no teamcolor will be shown, instead the texture will be fully visible. And everywhere where the alpha channel is grey (e.g. R:122, G:122, B:122) half team color and half texture will be shown, and so on.

However this does only work for units, which had team colors before I removed them. For units never had a team color the texture configuration in the nif file must be changed (look in Refars Tutorial for this). But for my reskins it should be that easy.

So they originally had teamcolor but you removed them? Why would you do such a thing? :dubious:

Anyway, I'll try and follow this formula, although if you used a specific texture originally (i.e. one that had the team color on it, before you removed it) couldn't I just plug that original texture in and do it that way?

So they originally had teamcolor but you removed them? Why would you do such a thing? :dubious:

Anyway, I'll try and follow this formula, although if you used a specific texture originally (i.e. one that had the team color on it, before you removed it) couldn't I just plug that original texture in and do it that way?

Yes, you can just copy and paste from the vanilla textures.

For the why: The plan was to create individual textures for different civs, so you don't need teamcolors anymore. Personally I dislike ships where half of the hull is green or purple or whatever and I prefer just to have a coat of arms or crest or something like this on the sails and different wooden colors. Just a matter of personal taste.

Yes, you can just copy and paste from the vanilla textures.

For the why: The plan was to create individual textures for different civs, so you don't need teamcolors anymore. Personally I dislike ships where half of the hull is green or purple or whatever and I prefer just to have a coat of arms or crest or something like this on the sails and different wooden colors. Just a matter of personal taste.

I much prefer your skins to the firaxis team colored ones. Team color was for back when there were no ethnic units.

Well I was going to use the teamcolor versions for some civs that don't have ethnic art. I agree that when there is ethnic art no team color is needed.

Hey JustATourist, Thank you for all your great ship reskins. I'll use almost all of them in my East Indies mod. (For colonization 2).

I am attempting to reskin these to be team-colored models for some civs with no ethnic art, and I seem to be hitting a snag. You told me to use the original texture but when I do the front sail seems to have a wooden texture (I posted a screen shot). Is there some different file I am not using? If so where is it? If not what can I do to fix this?

I also posted the files.

Please compare your texture (the original) with the texture, I use. As you can see, in the lower left corner, I added another sail. It's an unused part of the texture and I wanted to be able to have a different front sail with a crest, thats why I have edited the used part of the texture in the nif too. The attached texture should work without this problem.

Attachments

• galley_128.zip
    12 KB · Views: 132
Please compare your texture (the original) with the texture, I use. As you can see, in the lower left corner, I added another sail. It's an unused part of the texture and I wanted to be able to have a different front sail with a crest, thats why I have edited the used part of the texture in the nif too. The attached texture should work without this problem.

That was very nice of you, thanks a lot man. Awesome units, they are making quite an appearance in my mod (and I don't ONLY mean the Mediterranean ones). Thanks.

The correct for the Portuguese Carrack would be to have a red cross in the sales and the portuguese coat of arms in the top flag, but that model looks great anyway.

What I would definitely change is the sail. It should be more triangular shapped (the lateen sail), has you can easily see on Google or other source. That random flag firaxis' designers gave to the model is really poor.

Top Bottom