Hello from Christopher Tin

Aside from the general instruction of something pan-Western/African/Orchestral, there was little guidance as to the actual song. Soren, being a good musician himself, had one note for me as I was writing it. He said "I think you should write a bridge". That was a great note, as the 'Ufalme walko' section was written after that note.

I also wrote the music for the opening movie... where you're zooming in from outer space, into the coronation scene. But that was it.

One thing I forgot to mention that I thought you might like to hear: Civ IV was my introduction to the game Civilization. I bought the original on a whim. Warlords and Beyond the Sword I bought very soon after they were released.

Why do I mention this? Here's why: I was so disappointed with the intro movie and music to Warlords that I actually made the effort to change them back to the originals with your music. I found it funny that BTS was actually released with that as a built-in option. That Firaxis would go through the trouble to add that feature for the game fans I think is a huge compliment to you!

(Granted, the original intro movie was also the most inspired of the three!)

First of all, I would like to say that Baba Yetu is in the top five of my favorite songs - count me as one of your fans!

I also have a few questions:
1) What is your favorite part(s) of what you do?
2) What is your favorite color? Just curious.
3) When you go onto Civilization IV, do you listen to Baba Yetu, or do you just skip that?

Listening to God of Love, it seemed to me that there was a heavy focus on rhythm over, say, pitch (i.e. the songs were driven by their rhythmic characteristics). Was this intentional? Was it due to the influence of Kametron, his background being as a percussionist, or more just a feature of the genre?

For those interested, Padma and I have posted reviews of the entire album here. :)

If I was put in charge of such matters, your next project would be a collaboration with Stephin Merritt. Just for the record. Your talents strike me as complementary. Or, if you just want to do a cover of Busby Berkeley Dreams, that would work as well. I would love to hear what you'd do with his songs.

One day I'll take Calling All Dawns out of the CD player in the car, but I haven't yet. I'm afraid my first run at God of Love didn't click, but I'll take a few more.

Oh, while you mentioned that: Are there any new interpretations of you work which you like especially? e.g. I like this one, but it doesn't give me the same feeling like the original (don't know why).

...and the other way around: Is there anything you'd like to cover yourself? And for what reason?

Ah. Interesting that you bring that up. That's actually a completely different song, that uses a different version of the text of 'Baba Yetu'. The words are actually slightly different, and the melody, well, has absolutely nothing to do with my song.

HOWEVER, that song is the reason why I chose to use the words 'Baba Yetu' for my music for Civ IV.

Long ago, I used to music direct a singing group called Talisman at Stanford University. And Talisman sang this version of Baba Yetu that you're linking to here. So I knew of this version long before I wrote my own Baba Yetu.

When the Civ people approached me to write music for Civ IV, I knew that I was going to use my old singing group, Talisman, to record the vocals. And at this point, I had written a melody, but I hadn't any clue what lyrics to use. Well, since I knew that the group already sang this alternate Baba Yetu, I figured they already knew the pronunciation to all the words (even though many of the words are not the same). And so based on that, I chose to use the Baba Yetu text for my music.

So in fact, the two songs are totally different, only united by the use of some common phrases. ("Baba Yetu" being the most notable.) However, I was aware of that version before I wrote my own.

As for something I'd like to cover myself, well, I always thought it'd be fun to do an orchestral cover of Jimi Hendrix's 'Little Wing'. I'd call it 'Variations on Little Wing' or something like that.

One thing I forgot to mention that I thought you might like to hear: Civ IV was my introduction to the game Civilization. I bought the original on a whim. Warlords and Beyond the Sword I bought very soon after they were released.

Why do I mention this? Here's why: I was so disappointed with the intro movie and music to Warlords that I actually made the effort to change them back to the originals with your music. I found it funny that BTS was actually released with that as a built-in option. That Firaxis would go through the trouble to add that feature for the game fans I think is a huge compliment to you!

(Granted, the original intro movie was also the most inspired of the three!)

I hadn't really thought of it that way, but you're right. I'm flattered!

First of all, I would like to say that Baba Yetu is in the top five of my favorite songs - count me as one of your fans!

I also have a few questions:
1) What is your favorite part(s) of what you do?
2) What is your favorite color? Just curious.
3) When you go onto Civilization IV, do you listen to Baba Yetu, or do you just skip that?

1) Chatting with fans! No really... I really enjoy it. I don't have a ton of time to do it, but it's really enjoyable for me.

2) Orange! But kind of a dusky, dirty orange. Hard to describe. I had a train set growing up, and one of the cars was this orange, and so every time I see that color, it triggers childhood memories.

3) I really don't pay much attention to it any more. You have to understand that I've probably heard that song 1500 - 2000 times by now, in so many different incarnations!

Listening to God of Love, it seemed to me that there was a heavy focus on rhythm over, say, pitch (i.e. the songs were driven by their rhythmic characteristics). Was this intentional? Was it due to the influence of Kametron, his background being as a percussionist, or more just a feature of the genre?

For those interested, Padma and I have posted reviews of the entire album here. :)

Yeah, it wasn't intentional. And I might argue that point a little too... sure, it's not as hyper melodic as some parts of Calling All Dawns, but I think that's a part of the genre as well, and the fact that I don't have an orchestra, with constant counterpoint and such, that I'm working with here. So I don't think that rhythm was an emphasis necessarily more than any other music of its genre, but compared to CAD, yeah... I can see that.

Oh, and thanks for reviewing the album!

If I was put in charge of such matters, your next project would be a collaboration with Stephin Merritt. Just for the record. Your talents strike me as complementary. Or, if you just want to do a cover of Busby Berkeley Dreams, that would work as well. I would love to hear what you'd do with his songs.

One day I'll take Calling All Dawns out of the CD player in the car, but I haven't yet. I'm afraid my first run at God of Love didn't click, but I'll take a few more.

Huh! That would be interesting. Maybe I'll write to him. :)

And thanks for giving GOL a chance! It's not everyone's cup of tea, but I appreciate you listening with an open mind.

What music did you grow up listening to and what music has influenced you, in any of your works?

Classic rock, man! Pink Floyd, The Who, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles...

They made GREAT concept albums. Fantastic albums with narratives, themes, recurring musical motifs... I loved all that stuff. And so when I went to make my own album, it was only natural that I'd incorporate all that into Calling All Dawns! (And now God of Love.)

Good question! Thanks for asking.

I'm surprised no one has asked me any Civ questions yet, or game related questions. I do play games from time to time too, you know. :)

I'm surprised no one has asked me any Civ questions yet, or game related questions. I do play games from time to time too, you know. :)

Weeeell, questions like "What is your favorite Civilization" or "Do you think Civ V is better or worse than Civ IV" feel too much like "What's your favorite color?" (sorry trexerix). :D

But since you asked for it: Did you play Civilization IV and it's expansions with mods or vanilla? :)
Personally I think that the only way to play Civ IV is by installing the dark fantasy Fall From Heaven 2 mod. Nice music on that one, too. ;)

By the way, have you all seen this?

Link to video.

My favorite cover of Baba Yetu, by far. This girl rocks. I've even been mentoring her a little, on the side.

What version of the game do you find most enjoyable to play with?
What civilisation do you play mostly as?
Have you played an MP game?

I really only play Civ IV, vanilla. I've played I, III and IV, but haven't played V, Revolution, World, or the expansion packs.

When I do play, I either play the English (for sentimental reasons... I lived there for awhile) or the Romans. (Praetorians, baby.)

And no, I haven't played MP! That's a boundary I don't want to cross, for Civ or other games, because once I do, I know I'll get obsessed.

Weeeell, questions like "What is your favorite Civilization" or "Do you think Civ V is better or worse than Civ IV" feel too much like "What's your favorite color?" (sorry trexerix). :D

But since you asked for it: Did you play Civilization IV and it's expansions with mods or vanilla? :)
Personally I think that the only way to play Civ IV is by installing the dark fantasy Fall From Heaven 2 mod. Nice music on that one, too. ;)

I've only ever played Vanilla. I've heard good things about Fall From Heaven, though! Even traded emails with Derek Paxton once.

By the way, have you all seen this?

Link to video.

My favorite cover of Baba Yetu, by far. This girl rocks. I've even been mentoring her a little, on the side.

I must say that girl is quite awesome. And I couldn't figure out how she made the initial sounds until she put that .... vibrator away. :D

And speaking of Koreans: Have you considered doing an Arirang? You'll be worshipped as a minor deity in korea or at least as a saint if you pull it off in Baba Yetu style. :D

I must say that girl is quite awesome. And I couldn't figure out how she made the initial sounds until she put that .... vibrator away. :D

And speaking of Koreans: Have you considered doing an Arirang? You'll be worshipped as a minor deity in korea or at least as a saint if you pull it off in Baba Yetu style. :D

Hah! Yes, I know all about Arirang, but I don't really see myself bringing the right vibe to it.

I really only play Civ IV, vanilla. I've played I, III and IV, but haven't played V, Revolution, World, or the expansion packs.

You should get both civ3 conquests and civ4 BTS, since both of them add so much to the gameplay that they are worth paying the price.

Ah. Interesting that you bring that up. That's actually a completely different song, that uses a different version of the text of 'Baba Yetu'. The words are actually slightly different, and the melody, well, has absolutely nothing to do with my song.

Oh god, how embarrassing :blush:. You can tell, I'm not that much into music. Just thought this was a very different cover (would not be the first one where the melody is quite different, and I don't pay much attention to the text).

But nice story about the origin of Baba Yetu :).

Oh, did you follow this years...er...I mean the 2011 grammies? (are previous award winners normally invited?)
Any opinions about this years winner, especially regarding "Best Instrumental Arrangement Accompanying Vocalist(s)", did you know any of them before?

Top Bottom