Turn Discussion Thread I - Turns 1-50

as things look now, im already happy if we get 4 more or less decent cities on our insland:crazyeye:

I think it will be possible, but we will have a lot of coastal cities, that might pose a huge problem, on the side note, we don't have to be afraid of Amazons anymore. And +1S here!

We are only seeing 41 land tiles right now. Niklas already pointed out that the total land area = 781; that would average to 130 per team... I think something Hub-like is quite probable, with a substantial in-between area. Either we'll see the spoke in the next couple of turns, or the Hub zone is off-island...

I don't see the point of going into ICS here, given our extremely high early happy cap. There should be more land available to claim, and early MC will hopefully give us a bit of an edge claiming it. Our first two cities are pretty excellent, fast-growing ones and hopefully with forges, so we can produce for fast expansion in the post-2000 BC era easily.

Edit: @Chimera, can't place cities less than 3 tiles apart. ;)

Edit: @Chimera, can't place cities less than 3 tiles apart. ;)

...I'm pretty sure it was two...I'll check up on that though.

Also, forgive the noobness here, but what is "ICS"?

I think it stands for "Infinite City Spam" (?) Strictly speaking, it means cities on a 3-tile grid, I guess. Here I just meant very tightly packed.

ICS means "Infinite City Sprawl", originally a term from Civ3 where you could pack cities with only 1 tile between them. It's less extreme here in CIV, but used to mean packing cities as tight as you can.

In CIV you can have cities 3 tiles apart, i.e. with 2 tiles in between them. For some reason I think you were referring to different things when you said "apart". :)

The island to the SE confirms what we (or I, at least) thought from the omission of the GLH - that the map is heavy on islands that are reachable by galley. This moves Sailing way up the priority list, and gives us potential 2 commerce (or possibly even 3 commerce, depending on city sizes) trade routes.

I'm also a fan of the Colossus - they might be silly food-neutral tiles, but what else are our cities going to work? We're very cramped for space, and 3:commerce: per citizen through multipliers is nothing to be sneezed at.

The main thing, though, is that we need to explore the other island. Any way we can get a work boat out without compromising our Oracle gambit?

Niklas said:
For some reason I think you were referring to different things when you said "apart".
I was referring to the 2 red dots in the SW, ofc. :)

v8 said:
The main thing, though, is that we need to explore the other island. Any way we can get a work boat out without compromising our Oracle gambit?
I agree. There was some discussion in the Sandkasten thread today. I think we should at least try running some tests with this goal, for sure. Be nice to know what it means relative to Oracle-forge dates.

The island to the SE confirms what we (or I, at least) thought from the omission of the GLH - that the map is heavy on islands that are reachable by galley. This moves Sailing way up the priority list, and gives us potential 2 commerce (or possibly even 3 commerce, depending on city sizes) trade routes.

I'm also a fan of the Colossus - they might be silly food-neutral tiles, but what else are our cities going to work? We're very cramped for space, and 3:commerce: per citizen through multipliers is nothing to be sneezed at.

I agree with what the poster said. I also think the red city should be on the coast. There is a VERY SLIGHT chance that this isn't as small a land mass as we think it is though.

I suspected as much. Chimaera did say he had marked those red because they were mutually exclusive. Hence I think he read your comment to mean something else. :)

Oh...i see...yeah those were both red cause settling one would exclude the other...;) EDIT: x-post with niklas

Getting a workboat out might be good. Today I decided to finally give the game a test run to see how fast I could get the oracle, and I remember building several warriors to let the city grow, but that was while getting to priesthood. (for the record I had oracle around t47 or so...can't remember specifically.)

1 south or south-west...both achieve pretty much the same thing I believe

1 S for the hills line-of-sight.

It appears there is at least a couple extra tiles of land on our southern coast.

1 S for the hills line-of-sight.

It appears there is at least a couple extra tiles of land on our southern coast.

I think you might be right. Hopefully there is more dye down there. :lol:

...team sirius logged in a few mins ago...hopefully they'll play their turn soon.

BTW my vote is now wholly 1 S

Straight south.

I really like that central plains hill for a beefed-up commerce Bur capital. Who needs that many dyes anyway? We should put cottages on half of them!

Straight south.

I really like that central plains hill for a beefed-up commerce Bur capital. Who needs that many dyes anyway? We should put cottages on half of them!

Really? I couldn't quite work out whether you were joking? If resources continue to be concentrated over the whole map, we're going to need something to trade.

Top Bottom