Reduce Turn Timer to 22 hours?

Should we reduce the turn timer to 22 hours?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Niklas

Fully Functional
GOTM Staff
BCLG100, captain of Team CDZ, has proposed an official rules change that means reducing the turn timer to 22 hours (roughly 24 hours real time) instead of the current 40 hours.

We as a team should decide whether we agree with this, or whether we want to keep it at 40 hours. Note that, as pointed out in that thread, this decision needs not be final for the entire game, only for the early game where little needs to be done each turn. There are arguments for and against in the thread linked to.

The poll includes an 'abstain' simply because I want to reach a conclusion as fast as possible, so we can give an official vote and (if that's the way it swings) effect the rules change as soon as possible.

If you don't see a poll yet, you've clicked this thread too early. :)

I voted no. Turn Timer should always be kept to a reasonable maximum just incase it is needed, turns can just be made quicker if people just played it and clicked end turn at this early stage.

It doesn't matter to me right now.

Then please vote abstain, to get a speedier resolution on the issue. That's why I put it in as an alternative. :p

no for me. as soon as we are out with a souct-boat or meet others with our scouting warrior, i dont see how we can have official messages done and confirmed within 24 hrs.

getting contact to other teams might come faster as we think, and, besides that its a demo game where we play as team and there is no reason to rush...

teams just have to hit enter, when turn is done -> faster turns

I voted to shorten it, just because of how little happens at the opening of the game.

I would like to move it back to 40 at 1 AD, or some other appropriate time. Things right now are just slooooow. Imagine how TMIT is dealing with this -- he is obsessed with playing fast, right? :lol:

I voted to shorten it, just because of how little happens at the opening of the game.

I would like to move it back to 40 at 1 AD, or some other appropriate time. Things right now are just slooooow. Imagine how TMIT is dealing with this -- he is obsessed with playing fast, right? :lol:

1AD is turn 116, by that time I suspect we will meet at least 3 civs and will need a lot of time to discuss diplomacy, and change of plans if something doesn't go down the lines of what we planed. We cold play faster, but timer was voted before of the game and it SHOULD remain at 40 hours! This game will last around a year, if I thought that this is too slow, I wouldn't join it. I enjoy our pace as it is right now!

No. Diplomacy takes time. 22 hours with everyone scattered over various time zones is going to be putting communications in a squeeze. Nice idea to speed the game up, but 22 hours is a bit drastic.

Got to say yes.

Looks like at least 15 turns till we meet anyone, if not many more. Once teams meet it should be kicked back to 40. Why take 24 days for the fist 15 turns when nothing happens.

Vote yes, with the caveat that it's kicked back to 40 once teams meet.

Voted no. I sorta agree with what Morgan said (and others, too), but I don't see much of a problem here. The turn timer hasn't really run out yet, so we'd save, what, maybe a day or two on a year+ long game? And it just adds further complications and polls later, when people want it back to 40. :rolleyes:

I will defer to the judgment of the more experienced MTDG players here. I'm fine with keeping it at 40.

Then please vote abstain, to get a speedier resolution on the issue. That's why I put it in as an alternative. :p

Well I think it's too late now for that, since from the public forums it seems things are going now fine without any time extension, so the whole vote/rule thing is not effectively OBSOLETE.

And when I was indifferent, I was indifferent only as far as our team was. If we did have to make a real vote together, and even if we were totally indifferent, I'd make sure we always make a choice.

NEVER leave your choices undecided, doing so only allows your opponents to bias their own rules choices in their favour. This is where the Amazons made yet another mistake in their map choices. Going random/leave it up to the maker... definitely isn't that wise a decision. And now they will particularly pay for it heavily on this map (unless Dave really gave them killer resources to make up for it).

Notice how Ragnar wanted Archipelago so badly? There should be a good lesson learned there. I think the Amazons are going to learn a lot other lessons this game too.

I wouldn't say it's obsolete yet, the vote is still on.

I would like to do a bit of a back-flip on this one. The current official team vote is 3 vs 2 in favor of keeping the current pace, with us left to vote. If we were to vote to reduce the timer now, hilarity would surely ensue, but I'm not sure that's really worth it. We are clearly divided on the issue, but I get the feeling that none of those (myself definitely included) that have voted to reduce the timer feel very strongly about it, or at least haven't posted as such. Several (again myself included) would want caveats with that vote, to ensure that we get back to 40 hours soon again. Also, like obsolete points out, the game is moving nicely again, reducing the need for this vote.

The Mike already retracted his vote, making it officially 9-7. If I were to change my own vote, we would be at 8-8. By the constitution I would then as mayor have the power to break the tie in favor of keeping the current pace. This is what I will do, unless someone violently complains over the next 12 hours or so about my underhanded dealings.

I voted before reading the thread, and since I've never played pitboss I didn't actually know the turn ends prematurely when all have played their turn :mischief: So I voted yes, but had I actually RTFM I would probably have voted no.

So, I'm one of these:

Niklas said:
but I get the feeling that none of those (myself definitely included) that have voted to reduce the timer feel very strongly about it, or at least haven't posted as such.

and certainly won't complain if our "official" decision is no :)

I have reported our vote, which was largely unnecessary at the time, to be to keep the 40 hour timer. The official team vote was thus 4-2 in favor of keeping the timer. Poll concluded, thanks team. :)

Top Bottom