Weird graphics problem

dfnehring

Chieftain
I have a two-year old Toshiba Qosmio laptop with a GeForce 9700M GTS. While it's not the newest machine, fairly recent games like Mass Effect 2 or Dragon Age run fine on high settings. Fall from Heaven and Civ4 likewise are totally stable. I would love to try Wild Mana. However, after installing it, starting up, and starting a new game, the graphics of the intro movie and the in-game graphics are corrupted beyond any ability to play. Updating my graphics driver to the latest version has not helped at all.

Orbis and Rise from Erebus crash often with memory allocation faults (or such), but are otherwise fine.

Can anybody help?

sounds indeed weird, especially since wildmana does not use that many new or other assets then those mods. maybe your download was corrupt, did you install both the base wildmana version and the latest patch?

I deleted wild mana, dowloaded it again and re-installed it. The game now starts without graphics glitches, but I get five error messages after the game has started and once the map is displayed. All start with "failed to create .ini file" and all point to files in the wild mana mod folder. Any ideas on how to deal with this one?

Do you mean it's returning errors about files you've checked for and found in the folders?
What OS are you running?

My OS is Vista.

The files in the error messages are not in the specified folder.

The error messages are:

Bug options - failed creating .ini file '[path]\strategy overlay.ini'
Bug options - failed creating .ini file '[path]\event signs.ini'
Bug options - failed creating .ini file '[path]\more civ4lerts.ini'
Bug options - failed creating .ini file '[path]\civ4lerts.ini'

I also noticed that the game interface is incomplete, e.g. the buttons to adjust the tax rate are missing.

I don't know much about Vista but have you tried running the installer as administrator?

yeah i get those too, nothing spectacular it since it only BUG related stuff, which uses rarely anyway. your mod should run fine regardless of those errors.

I used to get those when errors when changing the view slider. I was informed I had to run the game as the administrator to avoid those BUG messages. Right click the exe and select "Run as Administrator".
PS I aslo have to run the installer as Admin or it doesn't always install correctly.

Ok, so I followed your advice and reinstalled Wild Mana as administrator. No weird graphics problems and no error messages at game start anymore. The only remaining problem is that the game constantly crashes with memory allocation failures, at random points after the game, almost instantly after starting. Any suggestions on this one?

Thanks for the previous advice!

Top Bottom