Unit Request: Greek Archer

aaminion00

Stoned
The Greeks are one of the most famous ancient civilizations of all time, so why not fill up their ancient age with flavor units? Utahjazz has already made a nice swordsman, and Atari already has the hoplite replacing the spearman. Forgetting the warrior for a second, the next most important ancient age unit is the archer. I think a Greek archer would be a nice addition to the game. I'd imagine him as a sort of mix between this guy:

Macedonian Archer

And this guy:

Spartan Hoplite

But hey, if it's completed and a Greek archer, I'd be happy whatever way it was made.

That said, this isn't just a request for a random unit. I actually found props for poser for making such a unit. They include:

- bow
- quiver
- arrow
- sandles
- greaves
- body armor
- greek helmets (3 in all)
- sword

This list is made for a Greek archer, and considering that this has been in the "research url's for mod-makers" thread for a while, I'm surprised this hasn't been made. Granted I'm not an expert in poser, but from what I understand, all someone would have to is to download and apply these props to a model, animate it, make the civilopedia icons and such, and bam, we have a Greek archer.

Here's the link

I hope one of the unit creators feels like making this unit a reality.

Hmmm...That Greek Archer kinda looks like a Keebler Elf to me!:lol: Though I must agree, firaxis should've made flavor units for all civs.:D I'd help, but I've undertaken my first unit project, the Myrmidon.

Aaminion00, the Spartan hoplite has been made by Kryten. Search the Unit graphics forum for his Eight New Hoplites (or something along those lines) thread.

But someone has to make that Macedonian archer

Originally posted by Mongoloid Cow
Aaminion00, the Spartan hoplite has been made by Kryten. Search the Unit graphics forum for his Eight New Hoplites (or something along those lines) thread.

But someone has to make that Macedonian archer
He did´nt say he wanted a Spartan Hoplite, he said that he wanted a mix between the two. Which would be a hoplite with bow(actually impossible since Hoplite means spearman;))

Here are the props that aaminion00 is talking about. I thought it would be helpful to show a preview to maybe grab one of the local artist's attention.

Click the image to go to the download page.

Oh look, Kal El would like this unit too :D

Yeah, I think people got it mixed up. I don't want those individual units but a sort of mix, as in, a guy in the hoplite armor with a bow and arrow. Now, maybe it's not historically correct, so if anyone wanted to make an archer just like the Macedonian guy, then go right ahead. I just said a mix because I found props for a hoplite along with some for a bow and arrow.

I've experimented with making an archer unit, but I don't like the look of the bow at civIII scale. Basically, from certain angles, you can't see it, and at the other angles it's very thin--almost shadow-like. Plus, it's almost impossible to see the string. I've tride thickening the props, but that doesn't help, unfortunately.

Originally posted by utahjazz7
I've experimented with making an archer unit, but I don't like the look of the bow at civIII scale. Basically, from certain angles, you can't see it, and at the other angles it's very thin--almost shadow-like. Plus, it's almost impossible to see the string. I've tride thickening the props, but that doesn't help, unfortunately.
Kinboat has made props before, maybe he could make a bow prop that works for civ units. I think quite a few unit makers could use that (I know embryodead has complained about thin bows, for example). :)

There are many bow props, most look bad, but some ok when resized. Making a new bow is pointless, because the problems will be always the same - in some directions it will look too thin or too thick. I always try several bows for a unit, not that I'm very happy with the results, but I think they're acceptable...

@embryo - any chance that you could combine your bow prop that you used for the elven archer and give it the greek props from the website? If you have the time of course.

I just tried and no success sorry. Breastplate and sandals don't conform or bend at all, so they are quite useless for animation. I don't have anything good to replace that - medieval plate and modern sandals don't fit well.

OK I tried with different stuff, this is the result. There is the Kinboat-style preview, I wanted to show what happens to the bow. Civ-color on the helmet turned out too dark, I'll fix it. (yeah, that's the medieval plate and modern sandals he's wearing).

Attachments

• greekarcher.gif
    greekarcher.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 230
I think that looks pretty good:) If it needs to be bigger then I think you just to make everything on the bow the same size as the handle(exept the string though).

Originally posted by Yoda Power
I think that looks pretty good:) If it needs to be bigger then I think you just to make everything on the bow the same size as the handle(exept the string though).

But that's exactly what I can't do ;)

I agree....go for it! :D

Remember that it won't look so thin once the unit is moving and animated. The movement alone will greatly help it be recognisable as a bow, no matter what the direction. :)

Nic flavor unit....Go for it!:goodjob:

Top Bottom