A comprehensive UU guide (the updated thread)

Interesting avatar. ;)

Welcome to the Forums SamuraiWarrior. :beer:

Engineering can come really early if you tech right. It's on the same path as Construction, so it comes right after catapults. If you don't have Metal Casting and need something stronger than Axemen, but don't want to wait for Machinery and Civil Service, this is the perfect unit to use.

Engineering requires Machinery.

A note on Panzers: I think their downside is that they can't be used in a stack, because a nuke (or two) can destroy a stack of any size. With Navy SEALs this isn't a problem, due to their cheapness, but all armor is pretty expensive.

Were Portugal's carracks mentioned in this thread? I fished through the first several pages and didn't see them mentioned.

florb - here's a link to one post in this thread that mentions. It appears that OP never got around to doing a Carrack entry.

(Note: You can search threads..see option at top right)

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6456341&postcount=277

I'll expand on that by saying the Carrack has value on watery maps for expansion since you can carry any unit in a Carrack as opposed to its Caravel counterpart. It holds 2 units instead of one.

Optics is often very easy to get early game if you use a GS bulb. Not hard to get Optics in the BCs, which on must levels will pre-date AIs getting Astronomy for a long time. (Ofc, it's possible to get Astronomy in the BCs too or circa 1AD) You have to avoid Meditation and Paper for Optics and Meditation and CS for Astro.

Another interesting little trick with the Carrack that is often overlooked is the fact that, like the Caravel, it can enter AI borders without open borders. What this means is that your Carracks will not get kicked out of enemy culture when you DOW, so you can basically do sneak attacks with carracks/armies, putting them in range to either directly naval attack (if feasible) or drop them on weak coastal cities) This can provide tactics on almost any map.

(Note: The East Indiaman (Dutch Galleon UU) has this feature as well and holds even more units that a regular Galleon)

Top Bottom