The Civ Atlas: BNW Civs, City-States and Wonders on maps

A map like this already exists in another thread but I think it's not updated to BNW.

When I get some free time, I'll update it. I'll probably wait until the game is released, though, so I can the CS in too.

Thinking about it, how about a map with only the Civs' capitals, alongside the one of civs' rough territorial range? That's the method I used in the past to determine geographic balance in Civ4. It has its disadvantages compared to the current geographic distribution map, but, on the other hand, it also offers a different way of looking at things.

If I am not mistaken, civ's icons are already placed over their respective capitals in this map.

If I am not mistaken, civ's icons are already placed over their respective capitals in this map.

That was the idea, but I must say I didn't pay much attention to this, so I don't know if it's valid :)

The least I would ask is that huge tracks of white weren't left in regions clearly covered by current Civilizations. The most obvious are in the Caucasus, the Sub Continent and the Balkans.

But blank areas - specially if they're huge - are also interesting information. Actually, the original intent of the map was to illustrate the huge blank area in Africa (before Ethiopia was announced, iirc). Eventually it became a world map. Between leaving the Caucasus blank, showing us that Armenia or Georgia are not in, and adding a confusing lot of stripes to represent the Persian, Roman, Byzantine, Ottoman and Russian control of that region, I believe the first option is at least more interesting, if not relevant.

But I think I agree on India, though.

Maps updated to include Morocco, Indonesia, Buenos Aires and Kabul. Jakarta and Marrakech removed.

Let me know if I missed something!

Maps updated to include Morocco, Indonesia, Buenos Aires and Kabul. Jakarta and Marrakech removed.

Let me know if I missed something!

Venice as a Civ. It's pretty much confirmed now.

Venice as a Civ. It's pretty much confirmed now.

When Fireaxis releases a statement it will be confirmed. It better be.

Also, nice to see SE Asia getting represented!

While I do agree it is probably Venice, we should wait until Firaxis gives final confirmation.

great map.
what cought my eye was central-european area. czech republic, slovakia, hungary and some part of the balkan and italy were historicly part of austria, not germany (in a fact, austrian maria theresa was a queen of the czech kingdom back in the days). i would recommend for this area red horizontal stripes because of long shared history (at least from 16th century to 1918).

I was a little worried that Morocco and the Aztecs' colors were too close. But now I see that isn't the case.

great map.
what cought my eye was central-european area. czech republic, slovakia, hungary and some part of the balkan and italy were historicly part of austria, not germany (in a fact, austrian maria theresa was a queen of the czech kingdom back in the days). i would recommend for this area red horizontal stripes because of long shared history (at least from 16th century to 1918).

Those stripes are actually Hunnic, I left Austria and Germany restrained to their modern borders. I agree it can be confusing, Europe has so much overlapping... and now it's getting even more confusing, with a purple/white, small and fragmented Venice!

But I'm extremely happy with Venice, Morocco and Indonesia!

Just illustrates how sorely underrepresented Sub-Saharan Africa is... South America at least got Brazil, and as much as I appreciate Morocco and the Zulu, one's definitively Islamic, culturally, and the other isn't doing much to fill up the rest of the continent. :sad:

Those stripes are actually Hunnic, I left Austria and Germany restrained to their modern borders. I agree it can be confusing, Europe has so much overlapping... and now it's getting even more confusing, with a purple/white, small and fragmented Venice!

But I'm extremely happy with Venice, Morocco and Indonesia!

my bad, i didn't notice that. still i feel that austrian affect on the area is larger comparing to the huns. we had even some mongols here in 12th century, even celtics tribes in b.c. times. europe is so difficult it should have its own map. gif map! :mischief::lol:
note: this is not a challenge. ;)

Lake Victoria had been spotted tentatively some time last month in one of the Portugal videos.

Just illustrates how sorely underrepresented Sub-Saharan Africa is... South America at least got Brazil, and as much as I appreciate Morocco and the Zulu, one's definitively Islamic, culturally, and the other isn't doing much to fill up the rest of the continent. :sad:

I completely agree, though the map is filling up quite nicely though, and looking very handsome too. Africa is agonisingly empty, even now. Let's just hope for a DLC or two - just one of Kongo, Mutapa, or Swahili would go a long way. Not to mention Argentina and Australia helping out too. :p

Nice work Liex, these are fabulous resources for civfans. You should be very happy with them. Good job. :goodjob:

Argentina, Canada and Australia would not add much to the game. Boring civs with very little unique flavor. They are Spanish and English colonies, who are culturally European. I would even much rather have Hungary than any of these. Hungary at least has its own language, long history and unique culture.

Mapuche from South-America would be nice addition. Ashanti and Kongo would be solid choices from Africa.

Top Bottom