Building a Better Civilization

REDAF

Chieftain
Building a Better Civilization

Little background...
I have been a Civ fan since Civ2 on PC and jumped on CivRev since it's launch on 360. I learned the nuances of the game and through my own methods, increased my skill against the AI all the way through Deity, got all the 360 Achievements and completely filled my trophy room, including all gold on the heads and victories... I thought that I had mastered the game. I felt I could win with any civ against the AI barring horrific starting locations.

Then, I started reading some strategies on this site as well as 2kforums...

To name a few;
Madjinn's Mongols Strategies (1&2)
GGrayson's Spanish Strategies
Pedal2Medal
elthrasher
eireksten
MorteEterna's many, many strategies...

Not taking away from any players I have listed or that I haven't, but MorteEterna's level of comprehension of this game is phenomenal. And for all players out there who are having trouble on Deity or lower, take advantage of the information that these top ranked players have offered up. Their strategies and tips extremely valuable for improving your game, no matter what level you are playing at, there is always room to improve.

A few examples of how my game has changed...
I used to build around 7 cities total in any game. Now I routinely have 12 prior to 0AD and never stop building more.

I used to tech as fast as I could to Democracy so I could try to keep pace with the AI in tech. Now I am 20 techs ahead of them and still in Republic or Fundamentalism.

I used to focus my early production and gold on libraries, granaries and temples. Now I never build temples, rarely build granaries and only have 3 or 4 libraries out of 20+ cities.

I used to build a defensive army in every city, sometimes more, with catapult armies for additional defense against seiges. Now, I have maybe 3 defensive armies at critical locations and pump out hordes of Legion (1000BC-Fuedalism) and Knight Armies.

I used to turtle, I would build all the buildings in almost every city, with defense and wait for the Modern Era when I was sure I could take the AI with Artillery defended by Modern Infantry and supported by a fleet of battleships. Now, I rarely get to combustion because the AI is already dead.

I used to rely heavy on culture, I wanted the big beautiful borders and elaborate cities, (which is still fun) but extremely unecessary. Now I steal great people and if a rival cities culture is expanding into my territory, it becomes the first city I take.

These strategies are free and available to everyone. Read them, digest them and then read them again. They will make you a better player and greatly increase your arsenal of knowledge in game.

Thanks again to all those I listed here, your names were at the top of my list, keep up the good work. I hope to offer a challenge to you at some point in MP...

Best,
REDAF
XBOX360

Top Bottom