Gauntlet Suggestions

Not really a gauntlet suggestion, but more of an idea.

Would it be possible to have the gauntlet shown on the relevant table in the HOF? It would be interesting when browsing the tables to know which ones were gauntlets in the past and to be able to easily navigate the site.

For example, G-Minor C is Prince, Tiny, Standard, Archipelago, Diplomacy, Portugal. Would it be possible to have G-Minor C listed on this table along with a link to the gauntlet page?

Likewise, on the listed table of past Gauntlets, would it be possible to have a link to the relevant HOF table?

Is there enough support for two Major gauntlets split between Deity/Immortal and Emperor/King levels. The idea being that if you can play the more difficult one, you don't play the easier one. Deity level players get more difficult games more often. Others get a shot at gauntlet medal now and again. I may be necessary to run them for longer than a month but it might be worth it.

Is there enough support for two Major gauntlets split between Deity/Immortal and Emperor/King levels. The idea being that if you can play the more difficult one, you don't play the easier one. Deity level players get more difficult games more often. Others get a shot at gauntlet medal now and again. I may be necessary to run them for longer than a month but it might be worth it.

I think a key consideration is whether you can draw more regular immortal/Deity players to the gauntlets doing this. If this would do so, that would be great. As is, Deity/Immortal gauntlets often get a small handful of entrants.

How is the average cap calculated?

This is something which should probably be included in the formulas tab.

Looking at the VVV tables, average cap seems to drive placement on the tables more than anything else.

Austria, Science, Deity, Great Plains, Standard, Standard

I think Austria is a really interesting Civ. Its ability seems extremely powerful, but in practice it's difficult to use. I don't think there's much consensus on how strong Austria is or isn't.

The combination of the cramped Great Plains map with Deity AIs means that it'll be hard to expand normally. This should encourage using the Austrian UA. Deity difficulty also means that any CS you buy will be well-developed. With the generally friendly Great Plains map template, I think this Gauntlet could produce some cool results.

Japan Chieftain Diplomacy Large Quick "Small Continents."

Not a huge fan of warlike diplomacy games, but if we are going to do one, let's have a lower level one that everyone can take a shot at to learn the ropes and show some Samurai spirit..

Japan has lousy table entries; Let's use its combat UA with some possible help from its minor cultural UA. On Chieftain will probably not need Samurai but there is a chance they can be of use on a Large Map. Trying to get away from constant "Standard Standard" settings as well.

Sent from my SM-G9200 using Tapatalk

Japan Chieftain Diplomacy Large Quick "Small Continents."

Not a huge fan of warlike diplomacy games, but if we are going to do one, let's have a lower level one that everyone can take a shot at to learn the ropes and show some Samurai spirit..

Japan has lousy table entries; Let's use its combat UA with some possible help from its minor cultural UA. On Chieftain will probably not need Samurai but there is a chance they can be of use on a Large Map. Trying to get away from constant "Standard Standard" settings as well.

This sounds like fun.

I'd like to see a Culture game with any civ (like the Science game last month). It would be very interesting to see how some of the UA/UB combinations compare for an early Culture VC. Perhaps King or Emperor level to make it somewhat of a challenge, but accessible to more players.

Would there be any interest in a Time game? I was thinking about something like Babylon/Highlands/Duel, this combination could be interesting because of the future techs score. Babylon gets a ton of scientists, Highlands provides observatory spots, Duel has reduced tech costs, and future techs get you 10 points each. I wonder how far you can push the score with those.

I like time games. Unfortunately, the scoring in the game makes population the defining variable in a strong finish on a time game. Babylon or Korea might make fun variations to see if research can offset growth to attain high scores.

Yeah, I like Time games too, but I think we're most likely in the minority. :) The idea behind a Duel map is to minimize the space you have to settle, so that other factors start to matter more, like # of techs, policies, great works, food management etc. I checked Highlands in IGE though, those maps are gigantic. A Duel Highlands seemed bigger than Small Lakes from the recent G-Minor...

Higher difficulties might also make things more interesting - some actual competition for wonders, a strong AI religion and harder wars could add some variety to the gameplay.

Yeah, I like Time games too, but I think we're most likely in the minority. :) The idea behind a Duel map is to minimize the space you have to settle, so that other factors start to matter more, like # of techs, policies, great works, food management etc. I checked Highlands in IGE though, those maps are gigantic. A Duel Highlands seemed bigger than Small Lakes from the recent G-Minor...

Higher difficulties might also make things more interesting - some actual competition for wonders, a strong AI religion and harder wars could add some variety to the gameplay.
A Duel map also means that you cannot capture wonders built in the AI capital because that would trigger a Domination VC. Normally, I think Duel games are a cheap way to get HOF entries (i.e. Duel Domination wins), but in the case of a Time VC game it may make things interesting.

I mentioned this in the gauntlet threads but want to reiterate it here. PLEASE reserve any-civ challenges for Majors!

The whole point of enjoyment of any-civ challenges is discussion of options and experimentation. Giving only 2 weeks curbs this way too much.

This month's Minor being an any-map challenge too screams out for experimentation, but Science games are generally longish and thus I doubt there will be time to try many combos. Most players will have to pick 1 or 2 possibilities and run with them.

Hi, looking through the Veni Vid Vici tables in the League of nations challenge, I see that several people who are very close to completing games with all the nations have no games with Turkey. They really jumped out as a nation which a lot of HoF players haven't played or submitted with. My own League of Nations score has Turkey as one of the lowest as well.

Turkey's UA of Prize Fleets and low naval maintenance means that a Domination win on a sea map would seem the most fun. Making it low level will encourage people to get a Turkey submission in for the VVV as well.

I'm not sure of the odds of a Large Islands or Archipelago map having a non-coastal capital. Tiny Islands would be safest, but I think Large islands or Archipelago would work too.

So,

Turkey (Ottoman Empire), Domination, Large, Standard, Warlord/Chieftain, Archipelago/Large Islands/Tiny Islands (whichever has fewest recent Gauntlets), OR
Turkey (Ottoman Empire), Domination, Huge, Quick, Warlord/Chieftain, Archipelago/Large Islands/Tiny Islands (whichever has fewest recent Gauntlets)

seconding the recent comments in the thread for a Japan (Oda Nobunaga) gauntlet
dip/dom/sci emp/king st/epic st/large has only 2 entries in the ad-hoc - would suggest a astronomy map too

I have Not played an OCC Game in a long time ... perhaps as one of the Minor Challenges - something quick and sweet
Diplo/Sci culture
And some civ with benefitial Traits aka Maya/babs/
theodora/pocatello/ would say Korea however i do recollect a korea occ in the records
Not sure other civs that might be fun William, Halle , Washington

+1 to a culture OCC game, a culture gauntlet with no Sacred Sites or Greek Liberation would be nice for a change. I'd suggest a continents map and King+ difficulty so you can't just kill everyone before reaching Astronomy and there's at least some competition for wonders from the AIs.

exactly what i had in mind vadalaz
maybe egypt with the wonder bonus plus a medium difficulty level to get more participants as well

I have Not played an OCC Game in a long time ... perhaps as one of the Minor Challenges - something quick and sweet
Diplo/Sci culture
And some civ with benefitial Traits aka Maya/babs/
theodora/pocatello/ would say Korea however i do recollect a korea occ in the records
Not sure other civs that might be fun William, Halle , Washington

+1 to a culture OCC game, a culture gauntlet with no Sacred Sites or Greek Liberation would be nice for a change. I'd suggest a continents map and King+ difficulty so you can't just kill everyone before reaching Astronomy and there's at least some competition for wonders from the AIs.

exactly what i had in mind vadalaz
maybe egypt with the wonder bonus plus a medium difficulty level to get more participants as well

I don't remember ever playing an OCC, and I'm betting there are hurdles I haven't even imagined, let alone unique. So, looking for some help.

With the several limitations one gets (relatively low pop, unit cap, to name a couple) I would think the diff level would play like it is at least a level higher (meaning, on King it would play like it's set on Emperor). If I were to just play an OCC (outside any competition), I think I would try it on King. But I don't want my fear to be the limit. Is King OK, or do we want Emperor?

I can't settle on a Civ. Looking over these suggestions, I'm thinking Pocatello. Both the expansion and the ruin flexibility would be significant early on, gets you off to a good start.

Game pace - is quick OK, or just stick with standard? Continents, standard size.

Victory condition - I'm okay with culture again, but what does anybody else think?

Top Bottom