Gauntlet Suggestions

There has been a lot of discussion in the past month about how wide to play for culture victory, especially with Napoleon. Might be an interesting experiment to see who can pull off the fastest CV with a wide-friendly civ like France, Maya, or Celts on Emperor difficulty or higher.

There has been a lot of discussion in the past month about how wide to play for culture victory, especially with Napoleon. Might be an interesting experiment to see who can pull off the fastest CV with a wide-friendly civ like France, Maya, or Celts on Emperor difficulty or higher.

Start a new thread, set parameters: any leader, culture vc, emperor, pangaea (for example) and let's try it out.

This doesn't seem to preclude a Any Leader minus Issabella.

Yeah, I dont see why "Any leader except spain" would not be a nice option

It is the question of enforcement. The gauntlet setup options don't include an option for "Any Leader except Leader X". We only have "Any" Leader or a specific leader as options. Anything else would have to be coded for first.

I agree it might be a good option but not as a last minute change. Especially, if I take it to the next level and make it possible to exlude more than one. A list is more complex than just one. Better to do it right the first time if I am going to do at all. So a little forethought is required to implement something that is flexible and actually works. ;)

Personally I do NOT like rules excluding certain leaders. I really enjoy a competition where everyone assumes one specific combination of options is "the best" and then someone else, thinking out of the box, beats that 'best' combination. Even if Spain is the best of the best, it is still fun playing other leaders. In the last minor, I managed to do the best with Ramesses and got my first Silver medal. Just limit the number of any leader competitions or create them in a way that increases the odds of Spain NOT being the best.

I never liked the no INCA rule in CIV IV either. It became a standard, and was specified even in competitions where INCA would not be the best.

So even if you decide to occasionally exclude Spain, don't make it a hard and fast rule, please.

I never liked the no INCA rule in CIV IV either. It became a standard, and was specified even in competitions where INCA would not be the best.

For Civ IV Gauntlets, Inca was banned, because otherwise when Any Civ was specified, everyone played Inca in order to be competitive.

I believe the Inca ban applied to all Gauntlets, even those where Inca had no particular advantage was because the ban on Inca was hard-coded. A flag to set or unset the ban might have been more flexible.

Hopefully for Civ V, the Gauntlet Player Civ (preferably Leader) can be defined to be any non-empty subset of all possible leaders. This would allow any set of leaders to be allowed or banned as desired. Could be implemented as an array of bits; when "on" the corresponding leader is allowed; when "off" the corresponding leader is banned. When published of course the Player Leader entry would simply show a list of all allowed leaders.

Sun Tzu Wu

Even if Spain is the best of the best, it is still fun playing other leaders.

i don't think anyone will beat my gminor xlv finish time with spain using any other civ. GBR + spain is just way too ridiculously strong

the worst part is it's completely random, it's probably at least 1 in 100 of getting a start equivalent to what i did that allowed me to settle GBR with a second city within the first 10 turns.

winning being so heavily favored by map luck is unhealthy for competition.

Is it possible to have gauntlets which do not allow huts. The luck factor of getting the favorable huts seems to make the competition more about luck in the early game rather than any amount of strategy or skill. Playing on a more even footing would make the competition more interesting.

Is it possible to have the HOF check for the no hut option to be checked?

I disagree. I find huts to be a wash most of the time, since unless you get extremely lucky/unlucky, they generally balance out, and you'll get 1 of each type on average.

Petra is beginning to be the big problem for me. Desert/Petra starts are simply so powerful, I can't justify playing anything else, especially when you add in Desert Folklore.

So I tried to play G-Minor XLVII as my first Gauntlet. I spent like 40 minutes rerolling starts to get a nice hilly desert with a mountain. That's not fun.

Why don't you guys post a save file like the GOTM guys do? That way everyone has the same start, thus eliminating the rerolling and most of the luck factor?

Am I missing the point? How can you truly compare games that were started with completely different map conditions?

Why don't you guys post a save file like the GOTM guys do? That way everyone has the same start, thus eliminating the rerolling and most of the luck factor?

Am I missing the point? How can you truly compare games that were started with completely different map conditions?

this is not gotm. gotm has no way of preventing foreknowledge or replaying.
the hof is supposed to highlight the best times possible for whatever vc/leader/map type/etc combination, with the gauntlets just highlighting a particular combination.

for next gauntlets i suggest domination games. see my earlier naval or germany marathon suggestions

Is it possible to have gauntlets which do not allow huts. The luck factor of getting the favorable huts seems to make the competition more about luck in the early game rather than any amount of strategy or skill. Playing on a more even footing would make the competition more interesting.

Is it possible to have the HOF check for the no hut option to be checked?

While it would make the competition more interesting, I would wager it would make the games themselves less so. Games need some level of randomness (and with 100 HP combat doesn't exhibit this enough in my opinion) to retain long term replayability. The gauntlets would largely become so uniform they would lose their appeal without something as random as the huts.

In short, I see them as a necessary evil.

In most cases, getting two huts with free techs will result in a faster finish time than someone that does not get any free techs from huts regardless of how well they play. Randomness is nice, but the winner of the gauntlet should not be decided by whoever gets the best huts IMHO,

Could we have a Deity gauntlet next update? I have few options here: [unfolds the tissue]

Carthage, Archipelago, domination, all standard. (always fun)
Sweden, Fractal, diplomacy, marathon.
Austria, Small Continents, domination, all standard.
Netherlands, Continents, science, all standard.

Carthage, Archipelago, domination, all standard. (always fun)

i posted this basically earlier, i'd addend opponents must be:
elizabeth, suleiman, william, theodora, washington, napolean, alexander

Top Bottom