Thanksgiving bonus: Austria!

ainwood

Consultant.
Administrator
As mentioned in the COTM 07 pre-game thread, this is a bonus game to allow you to take the Austrian Civ for a quick test-drive on a small map.

This map is a completely random map. I have done nothing to it, not even deleted any goody huts.

The games can be submitted, and we will release the results. Normal GOTM rules apply (Reloading, utilities etc), however the game WILL NOT count towards global rankings. Any awards will be largely symbollic bragging rights (won't go towards the Pantheon of Heroes), but we are dividing them into 3 classes: Conquest, Open and Predator.

Conquest class: Plays the game on Monarch Level.
Open class: Plays the game on Emperor Level.
Predator class: Plays the game on Demigod Level.

All classes play the same map.

The starting saves:
Conquest save

Open save

Predator save

You are welcome to use this thread for pre-game discussions, but please do not post spoilers in it!

Submit by the normal GOTM Submission form, entries close December 6th!

Thanks ainwood. I have just finished GOTM 37 and wondered what to play thru the weekend. Will there be also QSC or should I keep my timeline brief?

Thanks for this, ainwood :goodjob: I'm still inthe depths of a crisis in the current GOTM and I also have to SGOTM as well but I'll be sure to give this a go before the next COTM!

BTW are the map settings the same as COTM 7 or are all features random?

Thanks, Ainwood, for all your hard work! I just finished and submitted COTM6 (was going for Cultural Victory and just barely salvaged a Space Race Victory, but that story will be posted in the final spoiler). Playing Austria in a "test drive" gives me an excellent opportunity to become acquainted with them. Thanks! :goodjob:

You wouldn’t believe how close I came to my first ever Deity win last night, especially after I absentmindedly let India walk into my undefended capital :rolleyes: (Well not quite undefended, but I’ll go into that in more detail in the relevant thread).

So that was a pretty agonising end to all that time and effort, and I am left to wait five more days until COTM07, but what’s this? Ainwood has made me a special test game to pass the time! :D I may even give this a go on Demigod, that way the COTM will seem bit easier in comparison. Thanks Ainwood.

horragoth said:
Thanks ainwood. I have just finished GOTM 37 and wondered what to play thru the weekend. Will there be also QSC or should I keep my timeline brief?
I haven't enabled QSC submissions for this game as it's just a quickie, but if players would like it I can do so.

Please let me know here or by PM if there are any issues with submissions for this game. As it breaks new ground, with difficulty varying with player class, the changes I've made to handle it might cause problems, but I'll resolve then fast if I know about them. Please note that I rely on you to test it as I can't play Conquests and submit C3C games myself :eek:

Nice map, any spoiler thread open for this somewhen like Gotm or can I comment the map here?

Edit: I guess I am missing some pediaicons file that is edited, cause as soon as Hussars come around.

Sorry, just read first post so no spoilers anywhere I guess.

TheArchduke said:
Edit: I guess I am missing some pediaicons file that is edited

PM ainwood if you are having problems. As far as I know this game should play on C3C in its out-of-the-box state.

TheArchduke said:
Nice map, any spoiler thread open for this somewhen like Gotm or can I comment the map here?

Edit: I guess I am missing some pediaicons file that is edited, cause as soon as Hussars come around.

Sorry, just read first post so no spoilers anywhere I guess.
Another benefit of having a bonus game - get the tech support out of the way before the 'real' event! :D

Can you tell me the error you get please?

BTW - I'll open a spoiler tomorrow. :)

Edit:

I got a base biq that had austria included, and it installed a new pediaicons.txt file automatically. You can get it here. Unzip it and put it in your Civ3\conquests\text\ directory (overwrite the existing file).

Those of you who are comfortable editing the pediaicons.txt file, all you need to add is:
Code:
#ANIMNAME_PRTO_Hussar
Hussar

That is *cough* *cough* a challenging map, at least on Predator.
Lost 4/5 of my Army to an unexpected flip in the Ancient Age; since I only play this game to familiarize with the Hussar, I did reload an earlier save; of course, this completely excludes me from submitting, but the real problem with this map is not something you could influence at all anyway...

My pediaicons lacked all Austria icon texts. I added a few lines.
warning may contain typos :)

Code:
#START LEADER/RACE ART
#RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory neutral.pcx
art\advisors\x2_Charles_V advisor.pcx

# Happy Icons  (conquer/domination/space winner)
#HAPPY_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory happy lg.pcx

# Small Happy Icons  (defeat)
#SHAPP_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory happy sm.pcx

# Large Kiss Icons  (Culture/diplomatic Winners)
#LKISS_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory kiss lg.pcx

# Small Kiss Icons (diplomatic losers)
#SKISS_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory kiss sm.pcx

# Small Angry Icons (domination/space losers)
#ANGRY_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory angry sm.pcx

# Small loving Icons (Cultural Victory Loser)
#ILOVE_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory heart sm.pcx

# Small loved Icons (Cultural Victory Winner)
#LOVED_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory heart tiny.pcx

# Large Beaten-up Icons (defeat)
#LHURT_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory beatup lg.pcx

# Small Beaten-up Icons (conquered/eliminated)
#HURTN_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\leaderheads\x2_Charles_V victory beatup sm.pcx

#start races
#ICON_RACE_AUSTRIA
art\civilopedia\icons\races\x2_Charles_V civpedia lg.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\races\x2_Charles_V civpedia sm.pcx

That line is included in the extra text that Kuningas has posted. You need to edit the pediaicons.txt file and add all the text in Kuningas' post.

[EDIT] For those who don't like editing the files, I've added Kuningas' lines to the file posted by ainwood and attached it. It will now contain all ainwood's typos plus Kuningas' typos :D

Unzip this file and use the pediaicons.txt file inside the folder to replace your previous one.

Attachments

• C3C_pediaicons.zip
    13.2 KB · Views: 237
ainwood said:
As mentioned in the COTM 07 pre-game thread, this is a bonus game to allow you to take the Austrian Civ for a quick test-drive on a small map.QUOTE]

Ahh, well tried the bonus, starting position looks nice too on the site.

Boy was that an overstatement. Hemmed in between two agressive civs, jungle one one side, desert on the other and ocean on the other two borders I never reached cav to try the UU. Will try again of course but if this is any indication for the real thing we are in for one hell of a struggle.

MPF

MPF said:
ainwood said:
As mentioned in the COTM 07 pre-game thread, this is a bonus game to allow you to take the Austrian Civ for a quick test-drive on a small map.QUOTE]

Ahh, well tried the bonus, starting position looks nice too on the site.

Boy was that an overstatement. Hemmed in between two agressive civs, jungle one one side, desert on the other and ocean on the other two borders I never reached cav to try the UU. Will try again of course but if this is any indication for the real thing we are in for one hell of a struggle.

MPF
This was purely a random map. The 'real' one is designed.

Not sure which is easier... :mischief:

ainwood, I'm in the IA and there's a slight difference to the tech tree. This was a bit of a surprise as I wasn't expecting the game to be any different from the standard C3C set-up. Is this intended? (Further details if required but I didn't want to post a spoiler!)

Top Bottom