Memory Allocation Failures

This method fixed my MAF problem in Windows 7. I was experiencing a crash every other turn before, played from turn 230 - 260 without a crash afterwards. Can this be linked in the download thread for Windows 7 users? The currently linked fixes don't work since there isn't a boot.ini file in 7.

if you have a save where loading and then loading again in game produces a MAF, can you please try to to remove the Wildmana720.fpk file from mods\FFH Wildmana\Assets folder and test if you still get one by loading+loading again?

anyway, good to know that the crash happens while Graphics Initializing, that a first sign that my theory for the cause of the MAFs might be true.

I tried to move Wildmana720.fpk away but then the game just crashes during loading. No MAF just plain old CTD.

oh, didn't know that removing the fpk results in CTD. Thanks for testing.

I have uploaded a new patch 7.55 that doesn't break saves (tested). Some Feedback would be great if there are less MAFs now.

very good. Please keep up the testing and I hope others who experience MAFs test patch 7.55 as well and report back. This is very important to keep MAFs away in the future when more civs etc. are added.

very good. Please keep up the testing and I hope others who experience MAFs test patch 7.55 as well and report back. This is very important to keep MAFs away in the future when more civs etc. are added.

nothing kills products sales like product failures...... :crazyeye:

Sorry I don't have anything useful to contribute as far as solving MAF problems go but I thought I would chime in with this thread.

After a brief break I came back to Wild Mana so my problem has begun somewhere in the last 2-3 patches. The fact is I had no problem with and games (biggest maps & highest gfx settings) but since I have started playing again I have not finished one game due to repeated MAF's cauing CTD's.

I have tried everything including turning my graphics down and playing smaller maps - both of these have resulted in less frequent MAF's but have not nearly eliminated the problem. I have also followed the steps to optomise my PC for Civ.

I just wanted to get a head count and see how many people are actually experiencing such severe and frequent MAF's/CTD's.

As always, love the mod & keep up the good work!

Hi all,

i have many MAFs too, not just while loading or at the end of a turn, but also after trading a lot of techs and a map! In my last games with amurites i traded 4 of my techs for 5 techs and a worldmap from the Khazad-> MAF after 5 seconds.

MAFs less with 7.55 than with 7.54; however usually get MAF on game loads after an OOS (so now I quit the game and re-start the game whenenver a savegame load is required);

OOS are more frequent with 7.55 vs. 7.54 (when wraith attacks; oh I also noticed Corrindale cannot be turned into a Lich)

I'm playing on Vista, 2 Gb ram, 7.55. My impression is that the size of the game overall doesn't matter. I play both small and standard maps (normal speed). MAFs start to occur very frequently around turn 270 or so in both map sizes. At this stage, game saves are about 500 Mb (small) or 800 Mb (standard). It seems to be correlated with unit diversity (or some other correlate of game progress) but not so much overall game size, nor (I think) total number of units. I guess I could try a large or huge game to test this theory.

I'm playing on Vista, 2 Gb ram, 7.55. My impression is that the size of the game overall doesn't matter. I play both small and standard maps (normal speed). MAFs start to occur very frequently around turn 270 or so in both map sizes. At this stage, game saves are about 500 Mb (small) or 800 Mb (standard). It seems to be correlated with unit diversity (or some other correlate of game progress) but not so much overall game size, nor (I think) total number of units. I guess I could try a large or huge game to test this theory.

Pazyryk,

I think you meant KB rather then MB but I think you are correct. It isnt the size, All my tests are on Huge and I usually see them cropping in between 500kb to 600kb save size. Sephi has mentioned he suspects it has to do with the graphics in some way, and is working on a fix for the next version 7.6

KB, yes. (MBs when I get around to clearing out the 1000 gamesaves in the directory.) I played at least one huge game, several version back. It seemed like I got just as far in that game before MAFs shut me down.

I haven't had a MAF, but I have noticed that this version runs significantly slower then previous versions for some reason.

yeah, Sephi already stated that it's an error in the trade route calculation and that 7.60 will be a hell of a lot faster ;)

OK, I've read through this http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=224178 about 3 times but I can't seem to figure out:

1. Does this really apply to Vista? Some comments seem to imply that Vista does this on its own, no need to do it manually.
2. Does this 3 Gb switch make any sense if I have exactly 2 Gb RAM? (Does it allow the game to use extra virtual memory?)

Hello,
I 've finally tried the 7.56 and it didn't help with my loading MAFs at all.
I noticed slower turns too but I thought it is my fault because I tried altering some options to find if it is gonna help. I am happy it is known issue. :)

OK, I've read through this http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=224178 about 3 times but I can't seem to figure out:

1. Does this really apply to Vista? Some comments seem to imply that Vista does this on its own, no need to do it manually.
2. Does this 3 Gb switch make any sense if I have exactly 2 Gb RAM? (Does it allow the game to use extra virtual memory?)

1. I think it does help with Vista, judging from the majority of comments in similar threads.
2. No, it does not. That's why I decided not to go through with it. I would have to use the "/3GB /Userva=xxxx", xxxx -> value depending on your RAM, which has been reported to cause more trouble than its worth with RAM below 3GB (like video card memory not being allocated, shutdowns, etc).

Top Bottom