College Football In Season Thread

Its too bad that its pretty much impossible to do for anything other than college football, since our minor league teams aren't really independent.
Well, if we're talking practically, it's impossible for college football too. But it's still a good idea. I've loved the whole concept of promotion/relegation ever since I first realized it existed.
As long as we're spitballing, fun quote from Spurrier this week, though I'm paraphrasing here: "I support the idea of a four team playoff. And when we go to eight teams in five years, I'll support that too." Now obviously, that's just Spurrier being Spurrier, but it's fun to think about how that would work. Clearly, a lot of people feel that wins and losses that occur within a playoff format count for more than wins and losses that occur outside a playoff format, so if we follow Spurrier's speciousness out to a 128 team playoff that's ultimately seven games for the two eventual national title contenders. How many regular season games do you see in that scenario, and would the regular season still be worth watching at that point . . ?

The MOST a playoff could ever grow to would be 16 teams, and I have a hard time seeing the playoffs expanded past 8. It hasn't ruined the D1AA regular season yet...

Well, yeah, I was being facetious about the 128 team model. It's hard for me to see it growing even to 8. That's a LOT of extra football. The only way I could see it happening is if the four team model isn't effective in spreading the titles out a little bit more among the conferences. If the SEC's dominance continues in the four team model, an 8 team model featuring major conference champions rather than the best available teams would likely follow, but otherwise I don't see where the motivation for expanding the playoff field would come from . . .

Plus since exams start just after the regular season (and are different for different schools) a large playoff is going to be tough. There would at least be a 2 or 3 week gap from the end of the season until playoffs could start. Then the students wouldn't be at the college anyway for the playoffs so kind of hurts any home field games for top seeds. :scan:

Well, the exam thing is really a non starter. Lots of exams happen during college basketball and baseball season (and those games are also often held when students are not on campus). IAA has a 20 team playoff I think, and they haven't ruined the student athlete.

We can always cut the 10 crappiest bowls and start the reguar bowl season a week earlier. Have the first round of the playoffs the week of Army Navy as well.

From what I have heard from school administrators the exam thing IS NOT a 'non starter'... in fact a large problem for a playoff system. Aren't the DII games done before exams start?

If that's such a crisis, why do we allow the basketball season to play right in the middle of exams? For students who attend schools on the quarter system (like Northwestern or Ohio State), the actual NCAA tourney occurs right before final exams as well.

I suspect because basketball makes the NCAA approx 450 Trillion Dollars.

Maybe... but that is exactly what I heard several saying on the radio. Also the head of the BCS has said the same thing.

The exams thing is a beard, I think. It's used by opponents of a playoff because it's hard to attack without sounding like you don't care about the first half of 'student-athlete', when, of course, the people using it as an excuse don't actually care either . . .

If that's such a crisis, why do we allow the basketball season to play right in the middle of exams? For students who attend schools on the quarter system (like Northwestern or Ohio State), the actual NCAA tourney occurs right before final exams as well.

I suspect because basketball makes the NCAA approx 450 Trillion Dollars.

The quarter system is coming to an end at Ohio State. This is the last year it will be used. This fall, they are switching to a semester system along with any other state schools in Ohio.

The quarter system is coming to an end at Ohio State. This is the last year it will be used. This fall, they are switching to a semester system along with any other state schools in Ohio.

Ahh, that's right, I knew that. Either way, I'm sure Northwestern isn't the only quarter system school, and the general point still stands. Winter exams happen right smack dab in the middle of basketball season, and even a semester school will have important midterms in late March. Plus, doesn't the college baseball season go into like, June?

8 team playoff starting on Jan. 1 and ending in mid-January. Keep the selection pretty much along the lines of the current BCS - no more than 2 teams from a conference and a way for one school from a non-Big 6 conference to get a bid if it meets certain criteria.

Have the 12 days of Bowl Season from December 20 to 31.

So I'm just going to say it.

Think we we're wrong about Kiffin. Kraz, don't claim to have known all along though.

No, we were right then, he's just got more of a muzzle on him now. It'll be interesting to see how he develops. He's young enough to be the coach at USC for another 30 years . . .

8 team playoff starting on Jan. 1 and ending in mid-January. Keep the selection pretty much along the lines of the current BCS - no more than 2 teams from a conference and a way for one school from a non-Big 6 conference to get a bid if it meets certain criteria.

Have the 12 days of Bowl Season from December 20 to 31.

How about like 6 automatic bids for the conferences and 2 at-large bids?

That makes the big conference's championship games relevant to the entire nation :scan: . Regular season also to some degree.

So I'm just going to say it.

Think we we're wrong about Kiffin. Kraz, don't claim to have known all along though.

They were good last year - but they still struggled in the 4th quarter when it mattered the most. We'll see how talented Kiffin truly is this year.

I don't know. They should be better than last year and their major opponents should all be worse than last year. They've got a good team and a soft road to the title game, so unless you mean we'll see whether he can keep them focused I don't think this year is going to be a particularly difficult test of his coaching prowess . . .

Top Bottom