SGOTM 14 - Fifth Element

I can agree with this. Move 1W and post a screen. I still think we will need to complete the move 1NW since by losing 1 turn on settling we gain a much broader understanding of the surroundings but in general 1 W to start is a prudent move.

The gamble payed off. Moving 1W revealed nothing more than a silk on the plains forest. Knowing that everyone would say to just keep going to the hill, I did. The result: gamblers pulled an ace. Gems on grass. A massive boost for tech. What's the best way to to utilize it in city placement. That's going to take some time to ponder.

Attachments

• Sparlies!0000.JPG
    Sparlies!0000.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 120
  • Sparklies!20000.JPG
    Sparklies!20000.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 125
Sweet! :goodjob:

Without spending oodles of time poring over this my first thought is yay for commerce/happiness resources, food, and riverside grass, but where's the production?

If there were some other hills I would say settle the ph, but I think settling the desert 1w would be best. Fresh water, 2ph as well as the mystery plains resource if there is one for production, enough food, and perhaps more gems in the jungle tiles to the west. Interested in hearing others takes on this.

Excellent!

Now we need to decide where to move the warrior next, so that he can reveal the masses of food and commerce resources surrounding the oasis ;P

Should we now end this turn, then move the warrior? This gives additional info before we begin testing our various options Moving the warrior 1 NW onto the oasis seems like the logical move, but I'm just going by screenies - haven't opened the save.

1W for a starting city is interesting. That city would have 5 resources, however three of them require Calendar! It's quite food poor, with only the 5F sheep, and 3 irrigatable grasslands, although putting farms on riverside grass means we can't cottage them. Our happy cap will be, I think, 7. This is worth considering due to the low food and the low number of pre-calendar tiles. Even once we get calendar there's not 10 nice tiles to work here, so in the medium term we'll be a bit limited (but by that stage we'll have lots of other cities).

I don't think we'd want to get too whip-happy, but perhaps instead build up our capital for an early Academy, working gems, sheep, and some cottages and hills. If we settle on that desert, we can always rapidly turn forests into settlers to establish better production and food cities.

Not really sure where to settle. Though I agree on ending the turn and moving the warrior 1NW is the way to go. Perhaps when people check on that they can give a hand count on ending the turn and moving the warrior.

I agree. Lets end turn and move warrior 1NW on to the oasis.

I agree. Lets end turn and move warrior 1NW on to the oasis.
Let's do it!
I agree that the PH is production poor. But let's wait to see what the warrior move reveals before start discussing.

1W for a starting city is interesting. That city would have 5 resources, however three of them require Calendar! It's quite food poor, with only the 5F sheep, and 3 irrigatable grasslands, although putting farms on riverside grass means we can't cottage them. Our happy cap will be, I think, 7. This is worth considering due to the low food and the low number of pre-calendar tiles. Even once we get calendar there's not 10 nice tiles to work here, so in the medium term we'll be a bit limited (but by that stage we'll have lots of other cities).

I think in the short term and long term though it makes a really good city. Working the Sheep, one farm, the gems, two cottages, and two ph (or one ph and horse/copper) takes us to happy cap for the early game and puts us at +0 food or +1 food depending on if there is a plains resource. So the last pop growth would be slowish, yes, but I agree with what you said: the main focus of this capital is going to be chopping out early settlers/workers so we probably won't grow past 5 for a while. We will have CS before calendar if all goes according to plan, and at that point we can chain a few more farms to get the calendar resources worked for $.

But I digress, let's move the warrior and find out about the lands around the oasis first.

Since dredd voiced enthusiasm and I don't think beestar would object, and everyone else is on board. I'm moving the warrior. I'll be back in a few.

Moved the warrior. Nothing exciting. A plains and a plains forest.

So I suppose we'll hear from people based on time. Five now in Italy. I don't know what part of Germany UncleThrill is in, so Thrill you're getting lumped in with Blubmuz. Dredd's in Oz so he's in bed. Even if he's an early riser, and checks the forum first thing, we won't see anything for another five hours. Beestar's a Brit so we're just waiting on him to get home, as he's only a couple of hours behind Italy/Germany. Which leaves myself and Meow. Sorry Meow, but I don't know where you're from. Ok, enough gossip. Here's the screen.

Attachments

• Plainsrevealed0000.JPG
    Plainsrevealed0000.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 80
I'm in KY ;)

Hmmm. . . I will need convincing that 1w of the settlers current position isn't our best option. Let the discussion begin :D

I wish the cows were 1N, but they're not. So I pretty well agree with MeowZeDung. The desert 1W looks to be the best available.

First, time zones: me and UT are on the same one, GMT +2 for Summer. Beestar is in GMT 0, but +1 for Summer.
Just back home from a ludicrous Ferragosto grill, destroyed some Fiorentine (not women from Florence, the best steacks in the world, 3 fingers high) there. Here is holiday.

Back on topic:
we have 2 options:
a) settle on the desert 1W of the settler, but with fresh water and 2 PHs
b) move the settler 1W1NW (or 1NW1W, changes almost nothing) looking for more food or even the coast with some seafood.

being normal speed this is a big investment, because we're goin' to settle on turn 2 but it can be worth if the coast is close. Settle as proposed in a) risks to block or to weaken a potential coastal city. A coastal Capital is always a good thing, mainly with fishing as free tech

My vote? let me think more (and see how the wind blows - i'm Italian, after all -)

My vote is 1W. Let's not overcomplicate things; it's an awesome site! I think coastal cities will be of limited benefit on this map - it's a flat map, so no circumnavigation, and naval travel will be very long with no world-wrap,

With Stone we could consider Pyramids.

By the way, I'm actually a Canadian, but tomorrow I'm writing the "Life in the UK" test which will allow me to stay in the UK ... I think orb was the real Brit! P.S. I thought a Florentine was a cookie! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florentine_Biscuit

We already took one gamble, and it payed off with gems, and perhaps more gems in the two jungle tiles west of the settler. I think another turn of settler scouting is too big a risk.

edit: mmmmmmmm steak. . .

Second Pyramids!

Since we know we are facing teams of ai, an early rush seems more improbable, and thus a SE more probable, however I think it would be stretching us pretty thin considering we will already be pulling hard for a oracle cs sling.

My vote is 1W. Let's not overcomplicate things; it's an awesome site! I think coastal cities will be of limited benefit on this map - it's a flat map, so no circumnavigation, and naval travel will be very long with no world-wrap,

With Stone we could consider Pyramids.

By the way, I'm actually a Canadian, but tomorrow I'm writing the "Life in the UK" test which will allow me to stay in the UK ... I think orb was the real Brit! P.S. I thought a Florentine was a cookie! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florentine_Biscuit
The risk is to lose 1 turn, no more. But i can see your point, in fact i'm on the fence.

Out of topic 1
i thought it's easier for a Canadian to be a British: isn't your "president" Queen Elizabeth?

Out of topic 2
i wrote Fiorentine (plural, singular Fiorentina) not Florentine!
all i can find is here, the english page addresses to the T-bone.

Actually it's a T-bone steack, but of a particular Tuscany breed, the Chianina. It MUST be 3 fingers high, so it can be grilled in vertical after a short horizontal grill. You simply have to taste it to understand.

I like settle 1W and get this thing going.
I doubt we will get much better than that.

As far as the oracle goes, I will run some tests but I think that around T70-72 will have to be our goal to get what we can get. After that it will be a lot of fail gold I think. Mids would be great but I think they may be a bit of a stretch.

VC! Wow this gonna be a tough decision. Lets see:
1. Culture : with no wonders
2. Space with the AI teching 2/3 faster than us
3. Conquest/Domination: with a likely well spread out AI with double soldiers

well we have a lot more to discuss but for now I vote settle 1W

Top Bottom