Tomatekh's Historical Religion Mods

Idolatry was known as "bałwochwalstwo"/(balvokhvalstvo) in Western Slavic cultures.

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't updated or responded in the thread. Truthfully, I just got swamped with work stuff and haven't had any time to mod. I'm going to try for sometime late next week to re-add slavic polytheism (thanks for all the name suggestions) and I'll probably add back the sunni/shia split in the update (to keep the numbers even).

Okay, I have some free time this week so I'll hopefully get the update out soon.

In the meantime, someone requested I make a mod tho re-merge the Christian denominations back into the single "Christianity" religion found in G&K. As that was relatively simply and quick to do, I put it together:

Christianity Merge (Historical Religions)

The mod works either stand-alone or as an add-on to my Historical Religion mods. In either case the religious preferences of the civs are correctly updated; with the latter, any additional modded Christian denominations (such as Oriental Orthodoxy) will also be removed.

My Christian Denominations pack is finished (it is of course mutually exclusive with my Christianity Merge mod).

Steam / Civfanatics

On Steam, I actually posted it over my old Schism Add-On mod that was still floating around. It was simply more convenient on my end, but as a result the mod won't be on the front page of the workshop.

As I said previously, the mod splits Christianity into 7 denominations:

Catholicism
Assyrian Church of the East (Nestorianism)
Oriental Orthodoxy
Eastern Orthodoxy
Protestantism
Anglicanism
Latter Day Saints (Mormonism)

It works as a stand alone mod or add-on with my Historical religions. It only adds the extra religions and nothing is doubled up depending on if you use the mod with G&K (adds all 7), BNW (adds 4), or my Historical Religions mods (adds 3).

Ethiopia's preference is updated to Oriental Orthodoxy and England's preference is updated to Anglicanism.

I know I said I was going to release a minor update for my Historical Religions mod. It's still coming. I just have been promising a Christian denominations mod forever, so I decided to get that out first before updating the main mod.

Wouldn't Anglicanism go in the main mod and the edit because it affects one of the original 43 civs?

Wouldn't Anglicanism go in the main mod and the edit because it affects one of the original 43 civs?

I would rather it not get added in, at least not in the edited version (1/6 of the edited version is already Christian denominations). Isn't Anglicanism a form of Protestantism? I think Protestant England works fine for the scale of that mod. The full mod has like 62 religions already, though, so I think its fine to add as many as you like in that one.

The Edit's religions are pretty much set (foreseeing any more official releases). The whole point was to minimize how many religions were added and at the moment it nicely doubles the official religion count.

As for the main version, I hadn't really thought about it. The Anglicanism/Protestant relationship isn't completely clear-cut. It's not incorrect to treat Anglicanism as a denomination of Protestantism, but its also not incorrect to treat them as completely separate denominations. Its not the same situation as with Ethiopia; i.e. Protestant England is not wrong per se (even if not as specific as it could be), whereas Catholic, Protestant, or Eastern Orthodox Ethiopia is wrong (Oriental Orthodoxy split off in 451, well before those branches).

In general, I've been feeling I should keep the denominations as options, but it ultimately depends on if enough people want me to add it in.

Also, several authors have released new civs so I will be adding support for them in the mod soon (my small update gradually keeps growing).

The main Historical Religions mod doesn't seem to be working for me. It's installed and shows up in the mod list just fine. And the various denomination add-on packs work fine, it's just the main mod that doesn't.
Any idea what's wrong?

The main Historical Religions mod doesn't seem to be working for me. It's installed and shows up in the mod list just fine. And the various denomination add-on packs work fine, it's just the main mod that doesn't.
Any idea what's wrong?

That sometimes happens if you're not using the latest version of all the mods, since the denomination packs reference the main version. So I would double check that first. The latest versions are: Historical Religions 42; Edit 30; Islam 20; Hindu 1; Buddhist 2; Christian 6.

Otherwise, I probably broke something with a update. I'll look through the mods and try to sort it out by tonight if that's the case.

That sometimes happens if you're not using the latest version of all the mods, since the denomination packs reference the main version. So I would double check that first. The latest versions are: Historical Religions 42; Edit 30; Islam 20; Hindu 1; Buddhist 2; Christian 6.

Otherwise, I probably broke something with a update. I'll look through the mods and try to sort it out by tonight if that's the case.

Mine are all up to date. I haven't tried disabling the denomination ones to see if that does anything, I might check that in a bit.

Edit: Disabling the denomination packs worked. So I guess it must indeed be something with one of them. Probably not the Christian one, though, as I had already been having the issue before I installed that one.

I'm going through my database log to find any errors that might cause game crashes (been having so many lately because of mod errors that I'm very jumpy) and I came across this code: [872430.750] columns Language, Tag are not unique
[872430.750] While executing - 'insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') values (?, ?);'
[872430.750] In XMLSerializer while inserting row into table insert into Language_en_US('Tag', 'Text') with values (TXT_KEY_RELIGION_CHRISTIAN_6_ANGLICAN, Anglicanism, ).
[872430.750] In XMLSerializer while updating table Language_en_US from file XML/Christian Denominations Mod Text.xml.
[872430.750] columns Language, Tag are not unique

I'm not sure if that's game breaking, but it probably indicates an error somewhere.

The 1) main mod, 2) the edit, 3) islamic denominations, and 4) christian denominations all have new versions. Additionally, double check that you are using the latest versions of the other mods as well (as since these mods all reference each other, not having the latest version of one can mess up the others). In some cases an error can happen if you still have an old version in your mods folder as well, so delete older versions just in case.

There was an xml conflict between two of the mods, which has been corrected. I've also double checked all the references and tried almost every combination of the mods and in every case they now load correctly with no errors in the log. If you're still getting errors with the new versions please enable logging and post anything that comes up in the database file.

- Fixed an XML conflict
- Added support for the new civs released by Hiram and LastSword
- Ibadi will now change to an alternate icon if you have loaded the Oman mod
- Re-added Slavic religion to the main mod

Is there a way to add the denominations to the main mod (for convinience purposes)?

Is there a way to add the denominations to the main mod (for convinience purposes)?

I do plan to release a "complete" version once I finish the last 2-3 denomination packs I've planned. Although, I know I've been very slow to release things lately so this doesn't help much.

In terms of adding them to the main mod at the moment, the answer is technically yes but not without a deal of work.

The art atlases in the main mod are sort of master atlases and do contain all of the denomination symbols. However, most of the denomination symbols aren't defined in the xml so you'd have to define them. Then it's a matter of making entries for the religions and then copying over the text and preferences from the individual packs.

The next time I update the main mod, I'll do all of this and then just comment out the denomination entries so all you'd have to do is un-comment them to activate it. I can't promise I'll get to this anytime soon, though, as I want to try and finish up one of my new civs before anything else.

That's fine. My main reason for asking was because I'm only using Anglicanism from the Christian pack and thought it might be easier just to put it in the main pack. What number would its portrait index be? In the main mod, I noticed you forgot to add Nabataea to the "delete civilization type" to Hiram's list, which may cause confusion sine there's an entry for it but no deletion. I was also wondering (because I'm a little confused) if in the Hindu pack Smartism is defined as RELIGION_SMARTISM or RELIGION_HINDUISM?

I'm only using Anglicanism from the Christian pack

If you're only looking to add one, I can easily put together the XML for you to paste into the mod, just give me a few minutes.

In the main mod, I noticed you forgot to add Nabataea to the "delete civilization type" to Hiram's list, which may cause confusion sine there's an entry for it but no deletion.

That is a mistake which I will correct right now. Since I just uploaded it, I'm not changing version numbers. Hopefully not enough people have updated yet where this will be a problem

I was also wondering (because I'm a little confused) if in the Hindu pack Smartism is defined as RELIGION_SMARTISM or RELIGION_HINDUISM?

It's defined as _HINDUISM to act as the default religion in case a mod civ prefers Hinduism. (Otherwise, it would find it doesn't exist).

Thank you.

Okay all changed and updated. This should add Anglicanism (if not, let me know):

Code:
In "Historical Religions Mod Art.xml" in the <IconFontMapping> section:

<Row>
			<IconName>ICON_HISTORICAL_RELIGION_MOD_ANGLICAN_CHRISTIANITY</IconName>
			<IconFontTexture>ICON_FONT_TEXTURE_HISTORICAL_RELIGION_MOD_FOUR</IconFontTexture>
			<IconMapping>7</IconMapping>
		</Row>

In "Historical Religions Mod.xml" in the <Religions> section:

<Row>
			<Type>RELIGION_ANGLICAN_CHRISTIANITY</Type>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_RELIGION_CHRISTIAN_PROTESTANT_ANGLICAN</Description>
			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_RELIGION_CHRISTIAN_PROTESTANT_ANGLICAN_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
			<IconAtlas>HISTORICAL_RELIGIONS_ATLAS_MOD_FOUR</IconAtlas>
			<PortraitIndex>6</PortraitIndex>
			<IconString>[ICON_HISTORICAL_RELIGION_MOD_ANGLICAN_CHRISTIANITY]</IconString>
		</Row>

In "Historical Religions Mod Text.xml" in the <Language_en_US> section:

<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_RELIGION_CHRISTIAN_PROTESTANT_ANGLICAN">
			<Text>Anglicanism</Text>
		</Row>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_RELIGION_CHRISTIAN_PROTESTANT_ANGLICAN_PEDIA">
			<Text>Anglicanism is one of the major branches of the 16th-century Protestant Reformation and a form of Christianity that includes features of both Protestantism and Roman Catholicism. Anglicanism is loosely organized in the Anglican Communion, a worldwide family of religious bodies that represents the offspring of the Church of England and recognizes the archbishop of Canterbury as its nominal head. It prizes traditional worship and structure but operates autonomously and flexibly in different locales.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]Although the Anglican Communion has a creed, the Thirty-nine Articles, it has been disposed to allow widely divergent interpretations. Thus, Anglicans see themselves as possessing a cluster of historic pieties and procedural loyalties but few firm rules. The Book of Common Prayer, a compilation of the church&#8217;s liturgical forms originally issued in 1549, represents the faith's independence from Rome and remains the hallmark of Anglican identity. The prayer book derives from ancient English spirituality and embodies the uniqueness of Anglican Christianity.[NEWLINE][NEWLINE]With a membership estimated at around 80 million members the Anglican Communion is the third largest Christian communion in the world, after the Catholic Church and the Eastern Orthodox Churches.</Text>
		</Row>

And then change England's preference in "Historical Religions Mod.xml":

<Row>
			<CivilizationType>CIVILIZATION_ENGLAND</CivilizationType>
			<ReligionType>RELIGION_ANGLICAN_CHRISTIANITY</ReligionType>
		</Row>

It doesn't matter where in the sections you put it. The rather long awkward XML names are just to ensure it doesn't overlap with any of the other religion mods (without me having to double check everything).

And thank you for pointing out my mistake in forgetting to delete the civ entries. I probably would have left that overlooked forever :/

I have a question, of the religions that are in your mod, which one would be closest to The Blackfoot civilization CL made? I'm guessing that it would be the Shoshone religion but I'm not sure.

Top Bottom