The West Tower

@ slaze:

great that you still keep it up. this sort of super-slow death is quite energy (and time) consuming i guess...

:goodjob: for everything you want to take / offer for any sort of longterm peace deal or new alliance... ...up to you, if you still feel like keeping up the fight, you really are the true:king:

Since repelling the attack seems to be out of the picture, any ideas on what can we do while we wait? Whip our cities to size 1? Use remaining workes to make farms out of towns, then delete them?

On another note, I've been wondering about playing more multiplayer. Can you recommend a place where I could start? Here on the forums?

Since repelling the attack seems to be out of the picture, any ideas on what can we do while we wait? Whip our cities to size 1? Use remaining workes to make farms out of towns, then delete them?

On another note, I've been wondering about playing more multiplayer. Can you recommend a place where I could start? Here on the forums?

In a year-long game, acting out of spite would be a tad ill-mannered. Sure, they behaved abysmally towards us earlier in the game, but that was many many months ago in the real world.

I suggest we gift what cash we can to the team that is not at war with us (while we still can), as a good-will gesture towards them, and leave it at that.

I agree with whb. If we're going to do anything with our current resources, the more sensible act would be to act honorably and perform an act of goodwill. :)

There's not much to do either way. We've been beaten down to scorched earth anyway, and the 50 or so gold we've got is hardly goodwill (but i might as well send it to cav scout the turn before death)

I agree with the good will gesture.

Sorry I have been missing for last 7 months but I think you all have done an incredible job surviving this long.

Well, it's been a long year and some. Great job everyone still present. I must admit that this hasn't been my favourite game of Civilization for obvious reasons. Still, it's been a pleasure to play with you gentlemen (and ladies just in case, cant really tell from the nicks). Again, thanks to the kings for holding the boat afloat for such a long time. Special thanks to Ash88 who actually made our monarchy possible.

Yes, well done. I think the monarchs discovered perhaps a slight disadvantage of monarchy -- as they had to do all the hard work, with the rest of us yammering away from the back seat.

It has been a fun time we've had in this Demogame! I would like to offer thanks to ash88 for making this team a reality and IndianSmoke & Slaze for their time and effort in leading us! :)

We all knew we were taking a chance with the Monarchy option, as Ash's proposal set out: it was a different approach from just signing up to democratic style teams option.

But two reflections:

The very early concern (from our side) about the map (and nations it favored) were I feel justified.

The initial fear of Indiansmoke's reputation and capability led to other nations limiting their options and ganging up.

In retrospect, it might have been better to have someone relatively unknown in the throne at first.

The map wouldn't have been so outrageous if tech trading was off. This was a map that clearly was not suitable to play with settings the game had. Interestingly enough, though the map clearly favours two teams, they haven't taken much advantage of that yet.

I actually believe that monarchy worked much better than any democracy in this game. Most of the teams have been playing with very few turnplayer anyway. And to hold the team together as long as we did when obviously losing the game from very early phases is no small feat at all. For comparison, see what happened to Maverics, with all due respect to Snaaty and guys. I would say that Sir Ash's experiment was a huge success regardless the outcome of the game. If a new demogame starts some time at future, I'll seriously consider joining if there is a monarchy team.

About the map: I think you're getting a bit carried away. I'm convinced that when the forums are opened up at the end of the game, we'll see that our vice was being late on the diplo scene. We weren't very fast getting a workboat out and we sent it the wrong direction.

About monarchy: it was pretty underwhelming, but I think we were just the wrong kind of team for it. Somewhere with many people wanting to have their say and lots of conflicting opinions, it could shine - whereas we had few experienced players, and the rest (me included) wasn't just interested in grabbing the throne.

Anyway, who is joining an another team after we're gone? I'm thinking about it, tempted to watch how the game unfolds from here. I think Vikings or Carthage are a bit short on people.

PS. Huge thanks to Ash88 for keeping up with the uneventful voting for so long - you're the man! ;)

A map where single diplo round can decide first two to drop out is very poor design. In a game that is expected last for over a year it is IMO inexcusable. Though with different decisions we could have been on the winning I still say that the map was dung. This game actually reminds me much of a game of Monopoly where within fifteen minutes or so it is often quite clear who will be first ones out but it still can take hour or more for that actually to happen.

It is true that there were not much drama in our monarchy. It might also be partially due to fact that many people would want to be a capitain of a sinking ship. The game might have been more interesting with more intrigue and infighting going on. But what I meant by seeing this experiment as success is that in monarchy, governmental system is clear. There is always a default fallback on who will make the decisions and who will be the turn player. I think this kind of structure is something that helped our team to survive until the bitter end.

BTW, kudos to you as well Fktor for stepping up as a substitute turn player when needed.

I'm still considering whether to join an another team or not. I'd like to watch how the game ends, but still I think it'd feel a bit weird to join another team. If I do, Vikings might be a good choice. I like how straigthforward they were with us. Carthage, it seems, might not be in the game for very much longer than we are.

We're officially dead so we can join new teams if we want to. Anybody looking for the proper MTDG experience stick to sirius and amazon only.

I've joined Team Amazon, but can still see this forum, so just wanted to post a good bye for now message. :) For those of you who will join the Amazons, I'm looking forward to see you in the team forum. For those of you who join other teams, or who don't join any team at all, thanks for all the fun we've had! :)

I'm not sure which team I'll join yet, but definately want to say I enjoyed this experience as it was my first. You folks are fine people and I hope we get a team together in the future! A special thanks to both Slaze and Indiansmoke for their leadership.

Top Bottom