Quick Answers / Newbie Questions

LucyDuke

staring at the clock
There's a thread for Quick Answers / Newbie Questions in the Civ4 General Discussions forum. I can't imagine I'm the first to suggest this, so it might be more of a "why not?" than "please". Why is it a thread instead of a subforum? It's really difficult to sift through the unrelated posts in one long thread, compared to how much easier it would be to have one thread per question. It would also be a lot easier to find questions that had already been answered. And, it would cut down on the number of "I have a newbie question!" threads in the general forum. Can we have a newbie-question subforum? If not, why?

Because new members will always have stupid questions. It is a fact of life. Adding one more forum would just muddle the situation even further, not to mention add a new layer of stress to the jobs of the moderators.

I am against this proposal.

Of course new members have stupid questions, but why can't they be funneled into one box? My first post was a stupid question and I would've made it a lot sooner if there'd been a forum just for them. As it stands, the "general discussions" forum is the de facto "stupid questions" forum, which I guess is sufficient, but I thought it would be more manageable if they were separated. Maybe I just don't understand the tasks the mods are faced with, but I don't see how dividing the same number of threads into two forums makes more work for the mods.

The General Discussion forum is the de facto "Newbie/Stupid Questions" forum. But the Quick Answers / Newbie Questions thread isn't meant to be searched through to find answers. It is meant to have simple questions asked, and then answered. Perhaps many times. Please look to see if your question has been asked in the last day or so, but beyond that, ask away.

From the first post in that thread:
Just post your questions here without worrying about if it's already covered somewhere else, and hopefully some of the experts will answer them.

I think it would also cause a lot of spamming and pointless arguments about which forum each thread belong in.

Plus experienced civvers would be less likely to go into a newbie subforum. The questions posted there may not always get the best responses because they'd go unnoticed by the people most qualified to answer them.

Top Bottom