Post-1.8 patches

I recommend to collect everything together into one release and *not* call the first attempt as 2.0. Either 1.9.2 or 2.0 beta would be fine, but I personally prefer 1.9.2. Once there is some feedback and no major bugs, we can repackage the same thing as 2.0. It has happened to me very often that some small thing goes wrong in a release and I have to recall it or reissue a new one. Let's make 2.0 smooth.

lol, I was going to say something almost word for word to that this morning david, but I was short on time. Like they say, great minds think alike :cool:. I was thinking in particular that the changes/fixes we have collected right now fall into two tiers, some we can fix easily in the short term and those that need a harder look, more testing.

So, I was thinking that we'll do the 1.9.2 in the next week or two, then look forward towards a 2.0 after that with a beta or two to make sure it's smoothed out first.

Chris

I have made Dune Wars patch 1.9.3. Mostly new art, and a handful of small changes I had lying around.

This is an incremental patch so the install stack is as follows:

1. Dune Wars 1.9.1 (This is not a patch but a full version of the mod)
2. Dune Wars 1.9.2.
3. Dune Wars 1.9.3.

Changelog

+ New Unit Art: Great Burseg, Spymaster, Great Techman, Great Scientist, Great Nobleman, Cymek, Suspensor Carrier

+ New Building Art (taken from Walter Hawkwood's very nice converted Middle Eastern buildings): The Hajj, Pilgrimage Site, Intelligence Post, Monastery, Merchant Quarter, Jihad Veterans Barracks, Military HQ, Tleilaxu Palace, Missionaria Protectiva

+ Ducal Guard and Order of Agamemnon changed to require no XP. OOA changed to +2 strength. (I know this has been discussed recently but you can always unpick my change)

+ The Ixian Mech line now goes Crawler, Walker, Strider, Tarantula. The Spider was changed to Strider to match the art.

+ Reduced price of all Monitor Warship components.

+ Force Field visibility fix.

+ Choam HQ, Chamber of Visions, Guild Research Facility now give +1.5 gold, EP, beakers per spice respectively.

Excellent. A couple of these change things I've adjusted recently for an upcoming patch, so we need to decide which version to keep.

+ Ducal Guard and Order of Agamemnon changed to require no XP. OOA changed to +2 strength. (I know this has been discussed recently but you can always unpick my change)
Atredies Promos
This should be the same, so no problem
+ Choam HQ, Chamber of Visions, Guild Research Facility now give +1.5 gold, EP, beakers per spice respectively.
And I've set these to +2 per spice, though the difference is small enough that it doesn't matter greatly to me which we use. It's felt good in the games I've used it in.

Also, to keep installation simple, I believe we need to keep to each patch containing the previous, so only one patch installation is required on top of the full install. Mind if I combine this with 1.9.2, roll it together with my recent changes (a fairly long list, more or less ready to upload) and make it 1.9.4?

(we ought to coordinate this better so we can both work on things and plan releases together, avoid conflicts - an svn is a good way to approach that, mind if I set one up? It would let us roll all of our recent changes together and release them together.)

Chris

If you want to setup a svn that is certainly fine. We had discussed it several years ago. For two active developers, a svn seems to me like overkill; many modders are not software developers and may not choose to learn how to use svn. This may prevent some modders from participating. It is definitely worthwhile to have more posts, to coordinate, so that contradictory changes do not get made and overwritten. This particular thread we are on, is a good place for that.

I was planning to set one up just to keep better track of my own changes regardless. It makes it easier if bugs or (*shudder*) CTD's show up after making dll changes to roll back any changes and add them in slowly to find the problem. If we could use that for collecting changes from multiple developers and staying on the same page, I'm all for it. If Deliverator would rather we send files to each other (or who ever is going to release the patch) when they are ready to include, that's fine too. In either case, I think it's a good idea to release stuff together rather than have each individually release patches, as that leads to conflicting changes and a potentially more confusing patching process for users.

I'm also very much wanting to stick to having one latest patch that contains all the previous patches for the current full release so only two downloads are needed for a new installation -- the full download version and the latest patch. Requiring multiple patches is just a confusing approach for users.

I probably won't be releasing any more patches I just wanted to quickly release the changes I was holding locally. I know ideally each patch should contain the previous, but it was quicker this way. If you want to make another patch that bundles everything that would be great.

I'm happy for Chris to take over the coding. Probably I'll keep my input to art contributions, suggestions/discussion and maybe some static text improvements.

I have made Dune Wars patch 1.9.3. Mostly new art, and a handful of small changes I had lying around.

This is an incremental patch so the install stack is as follows:

1. Dune Wars 1.9.1 (This is not a patch but a full version of the mod)
2. Dune Wars 1.9.2.
3. Dune Wars 1.9.3.

Changelog

+ New Unit Art: Great Burseg, Spymaster, Great Techman, Great Scientist, Great Nobleman, Cymek, Suspensor Carrier

+ New Building Art (taken from Walter Hawkwood's very nice converted Middle Eastern buildings): The Hajj, Pilgrimage Site, Intelligence Post, Monastery, Merchant Quarter, Jihad Veterans Barracks, Military HQ, Tleilaxu Palace, Missionaria Protectiva

+ The Ixian Mech line now goes Crawler, Walker, Strider, Tarantula. The Spider was changed to Strider to match the art.

+ Reduced price of all Monitor Warship components.

I can't see any text in diplomacy screen. How to fix this?

Top Bottom