NukeNes XXV: The Berlin Conference

The French people would like to thank the German Chancellor for his kind words and his support of France in these affairs. While we certainly have tenuous relationship, this show of cooperation shows us that lasting peace between us is indeed possible. As such, I, Jules Ferry, President of the Republic, am coming to thank the Kaiser and Chancellor in person, and I am also coming to Berlin to represent France in person.

Long live the Republic
François Paul Jules Grévy, President of the French Republic

OOC: Nedim, he's right. It's terribly OOC of the Dutch to attempt a claim in Africa. Also, since Germany is indeed hosting this, I'm pretty sure it's possible for him to eject you from these discussions.

Nuke, I just noticed my stats are wrong. The President of France should be Jules Ferry, not Sadi Carnot.

Also, at this time, it was the Prime Minister of France, though appointed by the President, who ran the day to day domestic affairs of France. The President was very influential in foreign policy, however, and as head of state, it's appropriate for the President of France to come to this. It won't effect the administration of France, unless the PM dies.

I, Leopold, can not at this point support the French proposal. While the Portuguese colonies have had treaties with the natives for a long time, the Portuguese have not had claims into the interior of the basin, only up to the Kwango River on the eastern side. The French claim is even more recent, only within the past 4 years have they extended their reach further up the Congo, and then only on the northern side. In addition, the current neglect by the Portuguese of their Kongo claim (they have not had a garrison there for 20 years) clearly disqualifies them. The International Congo Society and myself have explored, mapped, negotiated, and created posts throughout the Congo basin for more than ten years, something no one has done before. Clearly with a peaceful demarkation of territory, we are in the best position to advocate free trade for all in the basin.

I am reasonable and am willing to compromise for the sake. While control of the mouth is indeed what we desire, the lack of access to the interior, as well as the small size of the territory, do little to insure that the Congo society can insure free trade for those involved, acquire deserved returns on all our investments, and support our many humanitarian goals in the Congo.

The French Republic is willing to guarantee access to the interior of the French Congo through the Belgian Congo for trade. We will also give our permission to Belgium to restrict our access to the mouth of the river if we break our end of this deal.

Also, at this time, it was the Prime Minister of France, though appointed by the President, who ran the day to day domestic affairs of France. The President was very influential in foreign policy, however, and as head of state, it's appropriate for the President of France to come to this. It won't effect the administration of France, unless the PM dies.

OOC: There is a few changes like this. Mostly they are remnants of the stats from my old NES which had some changes to history by the time it ended. Since it would be difficult to pick all of them out, I would just consider them butterflies from the existence of the American Empire and move on. After all, it's hard to imagine a world where the U.S. became a monarchy and it has no other changes.

IC: Portugal would like to make it known it supports the latest map for the Congo proposed by the French, but also reminds the other powers that the area around the Zambezi river to the south is by all rights our and we will not relent on this.

The Netherlands tried to get some land for raw materials, but it does not wish to be rude so it gives up on African colonies during the Berlin Conference.

If this Congress does not accept and support that Morocco is within Spain's sphere of influence, then it will be clear that it is not for Spain's best interests to accept anything else decided in this congress.

If the Spanish representatives do not wish to participate in these affairs, then I am sure they can see their way out.

France would also like to affirm that she wishes for an independent Morocco open to free trade with all powers participating in this conference. Algeria's proximity to Morocco puts us in a position to enforce the will of this conference. If Spain withdraws from these negotiations, then not only will Spain not gain control of Morocco, but they will not be a part of the free trade agreement.

If Spain is not given its just and deserved concessions in Africa by this Congress, we will act unilaterally to achieve them.

The insults thrown at Spain by every nation surrounding us have become to an end. We do not care what France believes. Also, the French jokes are becoming rapidly tasteless and lacking in humour, which is a pity.

France would simply like to remind all the members of the conference that they all benefit from an independent Morocco, but only Spain would benefit from a Spanish Morocco. We also would like to express our doubts towards Spain's ability to manage Morocco.

France would simply like to remind all the members of the conference that they all benefit from an independent Morocco, but only Spain would benefit from a Spanish Morocco. We also would like to express our doubts towards Spain's ability to manage Morocco.

If everybody can benefit from an independent Morocco, then they can also benefit from an independent Egypt, or an independent Congo, or an independent West Africa, so we hope you will not heed their words. The hypocrisy of France's statements is starting to reach high levels.

Also, we wish to remember all members of this Congress that the only reason France supports an independent Morocco is because their demands in exchange of a Spanish Morocco were insultingly demanding, and in spite of Spain's perfectly reasonable offers they were unwilling to accept anything that wasn't their own plan.

EDIT: We also wish to point out that this Congress is being held not only to find what can benefit our nations the most, but also what can benefit the people of Africa the most. An independent Morocco would hardly benefit from the great advances Christian civilization has brought, but a Morocco under the aegis of Spain would surely benefit more as civilization would be easier to expand to them, as well as benefitting those nations that decided to sell their products in Morocco, since the people of Morocco would be able to better see the benefits of buying the new goods.

Germany would not be opposed to an independent Egypt. Considering British occupation was brought about through rather flimsy causes, we see no reason for the continued presence of their troops. They should return Egypt to Egyptians.

Austria-Hungary would support an independent Egypt, as it seems that far more nations would benifit from an independent Egypt than if not. We also would like to say in response to Russia's words that even nations not seeking African land should have a say in balancing out influence claims.

OOC: It was fairly obvious that we are not seeking African land, I was just affirming that.

We too would support an independent Egypt.

Also regarding Morocco, we feel that an independent Morocco with it's independence guaranteed by all the European nations with interests in the country be the best route for free trade and such in that nation.

forget this post, I'll respond later

The International Congo Society and myself have a new compromise proposal for the conference. The Society and myself believe we have reached an agreement with the Portuguese delegation with regards to the Congo borders. We also believe that the borders with the French territory are also reasonable and just.

I would like to note that outside of the Congo basin, some of the borders drawn are ugly and impractical. These borders are only approximate, being only to represent our current understanding of the desires of the conference powers in the rest of Sub-Saharan Africa.

OOC: Dude, Congo's settled. Quit pushing the matter.

The Belgian Map has Portugal's full backing as it is the most fair thus far. Every power is given a decent share of land and all seem to be based on the principle of effectivity. The small unresolved area in the Horn of Africa is all that remains and we expect Italy and the United Kingdom could work this matter out shortly.

OOC: How is the Congo issue resolved? Only Germany and France came to sort of an agreement. The last map of the area was not too much different than the Belgian one anyways. Besides theDright was also touching on the Portuguese-Belgian border areas, which as Portugal, I can say have not been resolved until now.

The Italian proposal for the Horn of Africa, also as a neutral third party we view Belgium's latest proposal on the Congo issue as perfectly fair to all nations on all levels.

Attachments

• hornofaf.png
    hornofaf.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 44
OOC: The Congo Issue, as far as I'm aware, have a Franco-German agreement on one side, and that's essentially it. I am not aware of any other powers who support this agreement.

Top Bottom