We´re not all barbarians

Hurrah, someone new to join the ranks. Welcome.

The Official Roster!!

pigswill

nocho

LKendter

cripp7

Imhotep

astre

rolo

just one question: how do you put the save on the forum?
Is it just a storage over the net?
If yes, do you have a nice website for that?

Well, you can attach a save ( go advanced and use the "clip" button ... CFC has a 60 MB per user limit on attached files ) or you can use a external service ( rapidshare, mediafire, depositfiles ... ) and link it here.

I already ran a nice test ... basically you get 1 -2 cities in Korea that grow too fast for you to whip :p ( that is because you start with all the wrong techs :/ No Agri, no Mining, no Fishing ... ). I still think it is a better start for our variant ... we can whip to our heart content :p

Astre: the clip button is of course 'manage attachments'.

rolo: what date did you get your first and second cities?

I already ran a nice test ... basically you get 1 -2 cities in Korea that grow too fast for you to whip :p ( that is because you start with all the wrong techs :/ No Agri, no Mining, no Fishing ... ). I still think it is a better start for our variant ... we can whip to our heart content :p

Cool, need the save!

thanks for the attach link, i didn't see it :o

for city placement, i prefer 1NE but it cost us 1 turn :/

for next cities, having just finished a korean game, i sugest starting location of korean and 1N of wheat. There is quite a decent spot north of korea with the 2 deers in the BFC (it was my production city)

for win condition, culture would be one the easiest to achive due to the limitations and would fit the theme (we are not barbarian),
a space win should is doable but mean a very diferent strategy in AD.
diplomacy is always random (especially when war is not an option) but fit well with the space strat (conquest siberia - research - internet+space/ UN+diplo victory ^^)

a clear choice must be set ASAP in the game.

by the way, another question : If a friend ask us to attack another nation to help him, can we declare?

We're not barbarians of course so we don't declare war for fun or profit. If a friend asks us to declare war on another AI? Tricky :undecide:(I like the way people like to post tricky situations to test the rules of any variant :mischief:). If their enemy declared war on them (and their enemy is our enemy (annoyed or hostile)) then we could declare if requested. If our friend declared war on them then we'd decline despite the diplo demerit because dogpiling is barbaric.

In terms of settling 1NE of start has its merits in the long term (lose 5 desert, gain 2 plain, 1 grassland, 2 lake) which probably compensates for the loss of a turn.

The north east deer I'm thinking about a coastal city for one deer and another inland city (maybe on plains hill) for the other deer. The reason I'm thinking this is to make it trickier for Japan to settle on the mainland.

Still waiting for rolo's Manchurian Candidate.

I'm wondering if its worth going for Oracle>Col. Techpath: (hunting, wheel) AH, mining, myst, med, PH, writing. From my limited experience the early problems will be poor commerce, limited happy and multiple barbs, chariots (and keshiks later) will control the barbs, caste would help with commerce (manchuria and korea can both run 3 scientists working pigs at pop4 (initial happy cap).

multiple barbs, chariots (and keshiks later) will control the barbs
Should we go with the Great Wall of China to control them? :lol:

Still waiting for rolo's Manchurian Candidate.
Actually a Korean candidate :p

Played up to the first settler was done ( no whips or chops ) in t37. Lost a couple of turns moving to Korea, but I think it already paid up ...
Spoiler :

Save here

I give it a try also starting NE.
1st settler turn 32 (-2720, don't known how you can put it by -2900...)
fourth city founded turn 62 (with one more settler moving).
it may be a bit extrem as my science rate was down to 40% :/ but that was a test.
Rolo placement for korean city is probably better than mines given cultural pressure from china and japan :/

picture attached below (a test for future save ^^) with my french civ game (hope that it will not trouble you ^^; i'll see if i can change it back to english)

talking of research, HA then mysticism seem a must have early.
after that, I'm not a fan of oracle race with our start (no bonus and we don't start with mysticism), I would prefer to see writing for libraries...

OBV juju ^^

for the delay 2900 -> 2720, i understood. this is caused by the time the border expanded while we moved away from sheep.

and i did find the way to change my game to english for next screens :)

Actually I suspect I was a bit confused. Went 1NE, settled, worker>settler. Tech AH>myst. Worker improves horses. Got settler T30 (2800bc), still at pop 1. However in terms of blocking Qin with capital nw and second city ne its pretty good.

Haven't played through but I think Oracle's in with a chance, Louis normally goes for ToA (as a byproduct of heading for monotheism).

No time to test right now, but if a quick settler is the idea, we might settle on the horse and go settler and AH first. It's a 2 hammer city tile to start with and 3h after AH iirc.

Edit: ok, very quickly tried, city 2 founded 3200 BC. Settler should be covered by scout, I assume even the scout defends settler against animals, right? Obviously this will hamper growth, but assures 2nd city fastest...

I'm not sure its about quickest settler per se, for me its mainly about making sure we get manchuria and korea, manchuria is a very nice hybrid site while korea must be one of the best gp farms on the map. Settling on horses has some advantages, main downside is that we only get one food source.

Less than a week since the last post and we've actually started! :faint:

After agonising indecision went for NE of start rather than a long trek to a land of milk and honey (and several other resources).

Its kind of difficult to make an early set interesting (particularly on a well known map).

3960bc. A civilisation has been founded that may (or may not) stand the test of time.

3880. A ventursome scout finds a cache of maps in the distant west.

3840. We are not alone! :eek:. A very nice chap called round to introduce himself as our southern neighbour, "my friends call me Qin" he said. "Hello Qin" we said, "there shall be peace in our time".

3600. Buddhism has been introduced somewhere in the world.

3520. Hinduism has been introduced (almost certainly somewhere else).

3440. We meet another friend, Tokugawa, pleasant chap, seems a bit shy. Our scout stumbles across a stash of gold (34g in fact).

3400. With the discovery of AH we discover the funny animals north east of our city are in fact 'horses' and can be attached to a wheeled cart.

3280. A worker starts building a paddock for the horses. Settlers are beginning to cogregate.

3080. We're mystical and to prove it we can build monuments. Hmm, maybe we can learn how to dig deep holes in hillsides.

2880. Our poor scout is beset by wolves and survives! :goodjob:

2800. The settlers are quorate and ready to move out.

Top Bottom