How to import a Civ 5 map to Civ 4?

Elite999

Chieftain
Hi to all!

I´m attempting something funny, I mean I`m trying to create a larger North Atlantic map by using Lungora`s North America map and my intention is to extend it further (more than 128) away to the east, just to accommodate more of Europe.

So far, I have been unable to import the map into workable Civilization IV map type (with Civ 5 World builder) which could be opened in Civ 4 BtS World builder.

My approach is somewhat original (though maybe someone has already tried):

My intention is to open the map in Civ 4, and save it, edit the map to be longer (using notepad++) to the east, open it again in Civ5 WB, and do the Europe there, and then play!

If doable, I`ll try to upload it here for others.

The goal is to make the map to stretch from the Rockies to the Urals.

A correction :

The topic should be "How to import a Civ 5 map to Civ4 and back"

That`s my intention.

Subscribed. Such a map would be pretty cool. Just to be clear, is it not possible to open a civ 5 map file in civ 4? What if you manually change to the file extension to a civ 4 compatible one?

Subscribed. Such a map would be pretty cool. Just to be clear, is it not possible to open a civ 5 map file in civ 4? What if you manually change to the file extension to a civ 4 compatible one?

Well, I don`t think it would change a thing, because if you open any map file made with Civ 5 WB (.Civ5Map or .Civ4WorldBuilderSave), they look the same in notepad++

EDIT : I tried that file extension change from Civ4Worldbuildersave to CivBeyondSwordWBSave, and the game crashes to desktop, just like without the extension change.

I could always do the map from the scratch, but this Lungora`s map is an excellent map of North America in my opinion, and I do have NiRv4n4`s European Landmass (which is great too) map in mind as the basis for European side of the map.

I just wish there were "copy-paste" options in the World Builder...

...Maybe in Civilization VI then :)

From the scratch... (in progress).

This is a direct copy from those two maps.

I think the Europe is a little bit too large compared to the North America, thoughts?

Size is 180 x 80.

Attachments

• North Atlantic 180 x 80 (raw).jpg
    North Atlantic 180 x 80 (raw).jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 547
Better! (I think I`ll work from this one).

Attachments

• North Atlantic 180 x 80 (raw2).jpg
    North Atlantic 180 x 80 (raw2).jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 258
Nice work. The second one is the better choice IMO as well; though at a quick glace Norway looks more accurate in the first version.

Spoiler :
Since it seems you're quite skilled and effective at creating maps, would you be interested in taking on two requests?

I'm currently updating Gedemon's old ynaemp mod together with JFD and in the process we're adding a whole bunch of new maps.
One of the two things we're really missing at this point, is a South America map in giant size (possibly rotated 90 degrees).
The other (less important, but still quite needed) thing missing, is a map of Africa also in giant size and possibly without the northern coast as to focus on sub Saharan Africa.

The maps would need to be quite detailed and without pre-placed resources.

Is this something you'd be interested in?

Spoiler :
JFD! I know some of his/her work (like leaders, subscribed four of them, great work).

South America sounds good to me, but you don`t need to rotate it (I know a way around it ;) Also, it`s better looking when standing upright, as it should.)

And what size would you want it to be?

Spoiler :
JFD! I know some of his/her work (like leaders, subscribed four of them, great work).

South America sounds good to me, but you don`t need to rotate it (I know a way around it ;) Also, it`s better looking when standing upright, as it should.)

And what size would you want it to be?
Spoiler :
If you can make a map that's not rotated, then that'll be great. Regarding size, well simply as large as possible. If you can include some of central America as well, that'll be preferable.

Actually, the most awesome thing - depending on how large you can make the map - would be a giant size map of all of the Americas. Such a map in 'standard' size is already included in v23 of ynaemp, but with all those awesome native American civs by various modders, it's simply not big enough [emoji14].

Spoiler :
I think I have this awesome map you talk about, just tried the max. size for my conversion of Civ4 Americas map, and I came up with 124 x 160! (it works). The original size was 115 x 150.

I`ll paint the upper side of the map (northern Canada, southern Greenland) possibly tomorrow, but I think I can`t fit the whole of Alaska in it.

Shouldn`t be a big project, and I like the map already myself.

Spoiler :
The final "product", Americas will be 128 x 154 then (got 3/4 of Alaska there).

Also, I think I`ll make a map of Laurasia (Europe, Asia and Africa), from Iceland to Australia, maybe even New Zealand.

I already have the Africa drawn for this map (converted from Civ4).

EDIT : My hands are already itching to play this map with The United States of AMERICA(s)! :D

Top Bottom