How far would you move a settler?

Xiao Xiong

Prince
My present opening. Mongolia, immortal, turn 1, playing the fall patch beta. I haven't moved my settler yet--he's in a nice place by the water with a good number of resources. I moved my warrior to see what was near the river hill and, lo and behold, there in the distance--Ularu! So sad I'm not spain huh?

So what would you do?

Option #1 - I could settle in place, and work on pumping out another settler to grab Ularu. But who knows, there might be a CS on the other side, or the AI might get there first.

Option #2 - Move my settler to the hilltop by the river. This is what I was thinking about doing when I moved the warrior, to check out what was around there. Ularu would be just out of reach, though, in the 4th ring.

Option #3 - Settle him at the base of that hill by the river, with Ularu in the 3rd ring.

Option #4 - Take ANOTHER turn, and settle across the river on turn 3. Or even go further than that, to get Ularu into the 2nd ring.

Curious to know what everyone else would do!

(p.s. - it didn't show up clearly in the screenshot, but there are whales one up and one right of the settler, I seem to have screenshotted while they were diving.)

Spoiler :

Option 3. 3 wheat, 3 ivory, a sheep, a river and some mines. It's a mystery if you can grab Uluru because it could be a CS's 3rd ring, but you can grab Machu Picchu and Neuschwanstein.

Option 3 for sure. Get a scout out quickly to find some money and get your monument up asap to make buying tiles cheaper. Buy Uluru as soon as you can afford it, because the governor will never pick it himself.

Take the +4f from natural wonders pantheon = first religion.

Unless this is an archipelago map where a non-coastal start would put you at a severe disadvantage, I agree with the others on option 3.

Me, I would move onto the sheep, at the base of the mountain. Settle there, and then scout, as so many times that wonder has a city-state just out of view .

Well I got it. Two barb camps (thanks to Syria and thanks to Germany each weakening one for me!) and a few CS later and welcome to Ularu, Mongolia. And look--first pantheon! I don't think I have ever got first pantheon before on Immortal.

I started researching calendar hoping I might have a shot at the henge, but I'm probably just dreaming, it usually goes around turn 40-45. Plus I'm in a crowded neighbourhood, not going to be long before Syria and Germany covet my lands. Let's see. I need to get a settler out and find some horses, I'll probably build that after the granary comes up. Or a library.

Nice load of wine down there by Berlin but I am guessing that's going to be Germany soon.

Decisions, decisions.

Spoiler :

Glad it paid off, sometimes the biggest risk in moving that first settler is the opportunity cost of missing out on ruins or in your case almost definitely on stonehenge. Three turns may not seem like a lot but with the AI tech advantage (starting with more and cheaper research costs) that could very well be the difference with those early wonders.

Well I got it. Two barb camps (thanks to Syria and thanks to Germany each weakening one for me!) and a few CS later and welcome to Ularu, Mongolia. And look--first pantheon! I don't think I have ever got first pantheon before on Immortal.

I started researching calendar hoping I might have a shot at the henge, but I'm probably just dreaming, it usually goes around turn 40-45. Plus I'm in a crowded neighbourhood, not going to be long before Syria and Germany covet my lands. Let's see. I need to get a settler out and find some horses, I'll probably build that after the granary comes up. Or a library.

Nice load of wine down there by Berlin but I am guessing that's going to be Germany soon.

Decisions, decisions.

Spoiler :

With my experience, the AI get stonehenge at around turn 60-80 on standard (emperor or higher). Great Library is taken as early as turn 30.

Me, I would move onto the sheep, at the base of the mountain. Settle there, and then scout, as so many times that wonder has a city-state just out of view .

I would strongly consider that strategy three potential wheat, two ivory, coast and a capital eligible for a observatory is pretty good. However I don't think I have ever had a opportunity for a capital with a natural wonder inside its borders.

With my experience, the AI get stonehenge at around turn 60-80 on standard (emperor or higher). Great Library is taken as early as turn 30.

Yeah. Specifically... I had to build that monument, in order to make it possible to purchase Ularu. Normally on tradition if I'm going for the henge I skip the monument and either build a worker or granary. If I do that I almost always get it.

So now I'm behind on starting the henge (and didn't beeline Calendar either, I already got writing).

Settle now, coastal cities are better than inland ones for many reasons, the first being sea trade route send more food/production and battleships kick ass. Grabbing Ularu is nice but I wouldn't go out you way to grab it, now if it was Mt Kili........

Top Bottom