After years of playing, what new things have you found in Civ 4?

Wow. You must have really abused your colony. Colonies start with something like +10 relations with their mother country.

Or were you the English and spawned America led by George Washington? Was the year of renunciation 1776 by chance? ;)

It wasn't me; it was an AI. Lincoln spawned Ragnar as a vassal, Ragnar chose a different religion from Lincoln, and less than 15 turns later he was a free state. Funnily enough, Ragnar still has the +10 bonus so is pleased with Lincoln despite religious differences, but Lincoln now has nothing to give him bonuses from Ragnar and is straight up annoyed with him.

Shows how crazy Ragnar is though; he had three 1-pop cities, no workers, and almost no units and he "renounces his protection." Ragnar, you're SUPER weak. I'm very strongly thinking of DoWing him/

Had no idea this was possible, but you can actually drag and change the direction of the mini-figure in the bottom left corner.

^^ That's a worker, which we are a bit more familiar with when standing normally.

Attachments

• Drag.jpg
    Drag.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 997
Binary research doesn't necessarily give the maximum possible research. Researching at i. e. 50% can sometimes give an extra Beaker, because of rounding issues.

Also: Producing too much research so that OF happens, has no cap and all Beakers get stored and not lost, even if the OF alone already is bigger than the next tech.
So it's i.e. possible, to get 1 tech/turn even with 0 research, if one stored enough beakers for the upcoming techs :) .

If one of your cities has corporations present, those corporations vanish from the city when it culture flips to a rival. My border city Xian had Sid's Sushi and Civilized Jewelers which I spread, but upon flipping to Hatshepsut, the corps were gone.

Is that true for all corporations, or just the culture producing ones?

Next question: Is it true of all Civs, or just ones running SP (or possibly Merc)?

If one of your cities has corporations present, those corporations vanish from the city when it culture flips to a rival. My border city Xian had Sid's Sushi and Civilized Jewelers which I spread, but upon flipping to Hatshepsut, the corps were gone.

He mentions Mining. Mining doesn't give :culture: .

Read again; he said Sid's and Civ Jewlers. Both give culture.

I think the AI knows this and abuses it too. My last game I (for once) settled the mining one. I spammed the crap out of it to almost every city on the map. Shortly after I saw an unusually high level of AI battles, and an even more unusually high instance of cities being returned to the civ that was attacked. :eek: Could be coincidence, but it was pretty strange.

Old thing but noticed not many people know this: AIs won't trade away techs that enable wonders before the wonders are built. That's why Masonry, Mathematics and many other techs like Paper appear to be more difficult to acquire by trade than others.

Old thing but noticed not many people know this: AIs won't trade away techs that enable wonders before the wonders are built. That's why Masonry, Mathematics and many other techs like Paper appear to be more difficult to acquire by trade than others.

They can still trade it at times as long as they haven't started to build the wonder themselves.

Just a very minor thing, but if you click on your civ's flag in the bottom toolbar thingy, you will get taken to the city screen of your capital.

The power of hammer overflow and wonder + building bonuses.
The IND trait looks really good if you can grab Metal Casting with the Oracle.
Add the OR civic and everything finishes so much faster.
Minor point : you have to do a lot of micromanaging every turn.
And the right trait combo will only speed up development. (Bismarck, Augustus, etc)
The FIN and CHA trait suddenly look pretty bad.

I must admit my post a few back was incorrect. Upon further investigating it was entirely the state property issue. Never have I switched to SP after having founded a corporation. I always thought that simply running SP with a corp meant it had no effects. Turns out all corp expansion in your cities vanish when switching to SP. Only the corp HQ remains. So this explains why the two corps in Xian vanished when culture flipped to Hatty, she was running SP. As for some of the post others made of this in regards to culture producing corps, I don't see how that would work. Religion in a city produce's culture, so if a religion remains in a culture flipped city, so should a corp. In the end I suppose what I have learned from civ4 after having played for years is as follows- don't be so quick to post a statement about what you have discovered without first making certain that you know what you are talking about.

Just a very minor thing, but if you click on your civ's flag in the bottom toolbar thingy, you will get taken to the city screen of your capital.

I will assume that way back in civ4 vanilla you never played through the demo guided by Mr. Sid Meier.

Being a veteran player with countless hours of civ2-4 under my belt, it was never beneath me to give the demo a try. If my memory is correct, it only takes 30-45 minutes to play thru the demo. Whether a veteran or novice, there is nothing to lose in experiencing the demo. Actually is somewhat enjoyable. Like reading the instruction manual the demo offers a variety of little tips.

Just a very minor thing, but if you click on your Civ's flag in the bottom toolbar thingy, you will get taken to the city screen of your capital.

Thanks Pangaea I have used this at least 100 times since your post. Uber cool for OCCs'.

I did the demo twice (once to get back into the swing of Civ after playing mainly II and only a couple games of III before getting IV and again with my girlfriend when we decided to do some team games and don't remember this tip appearing) So better a little repetition than missing a real gem.

Barb galleys can enter ocean squares if those tiles are within barb cultural borders.
I've lost a caravel that way. :(

Top Bottom