Research: 16th century BC

*grumble, grumble*

We have to build a forge to build the Collosus and with our capitol's production tied up with those Fever River will be the only other city that can build anything. We are spread very thin in case of barbarian attack for example and still need troops to maintain happiness in BCLGland and our new city.

*grumble, grumble*

We have to build a forge to build the Collosus and with our capitol's production tied up with those Fever River will be the only other city that can build anything. We are spread very thin in case of barbarian attack for example and still need troops to maintain happiness in BCLGland and our new city.

We wont even be able to start building forges for about 25 turns, in that time the capital can build enough adequate defenders to cover anything that may happen in the future, also we only need 1 troop in each city to keep the city happy as we dont have HR yet. we have two points we need to defend from barbarian attack right now, even when we build near the spices that is only an extra point to defend.

At most we need about 4 more axes (one at each end of empire and two on the spice island), we already have one axe near fever river and another south of the capital these can be pulled back if need be.

the forge building will take awhile, probably more than the colossus itself as we can pre chop all the forests surrounding the capial for increased speed on wonder production.

I don't think we will be able to build settlers and continue expanding while Azelatrof is occupied with the Forge and Colossus. If we find horses we'll want to settle them. In addition to settlers Azelatrof could spend its hammers on workboats for BCLGland, a lighthouse, a barracks, extra workers... I'm not sure if we will be caught up in 25 or so, or if Fever River will be able to satisfy these needs alone.

Also Colossus is only useful in water tiles (+1 gold), but Azelatrof is our principal production city so how many water tiles will it ever use?

As it applies to every cities water tiles that doesn't matter much does it? i can think of 5 water tiles right now which will instantly be being used regardless of whether or not we build the colossus. thats and extra 5 gpt which is huge when the maximum gpt of everyone in the game is about 25 so far...

it doesnt need a lighthouse till we can get more happiness and thus if not building units it doesnt need a barracks.

It could indeed be building them other things but we have three workers as it is fever river if need be can pump out another one. azeltrof can pump out the defence needed from barbarians in the time between builds and we dont really need another city right now otherwise over expansion might begin to kill us.

Oh, every city...I didn't remember it that way. :blush:

We HAVE to have either the Great lighthouse or collosous on this map. No two ways about it. We need the trade route boast and water maps give more chance of the Great lighthouse. HOWEVER I think the collosous will help greatly on this map due to every city potentionally having a water tile.

better to take a chance and get a forge and gold than to sit back and not get anything.

better to take a chance and get a forge and gold than to sit back and not get anything.

Anything is better than nothing, but building a base for future military might is better even than a chance at a wonder.

Fever river is still quite a good production city. we could indeed axe rush someone but then who do we ally with later, we've hardly got anyone in our pockets so to speak.

I'm not proposing an axe rush but we need to stop making the reaction of our potential, yet non-existent, allies our first consideration. Four of them will in fact be our enemies and there is no requirement that we be allied with the other two that go to the finals with us. This game is about survival, friendship and alliances are secondary to that.

We can expand toward Zyxys good spots, we can build some barracks and we can better defend our cities. Strength will discourage the predators and be an aphrodisiac for the weak. I think that is a better plan than building a wonder right now. People will ally with us when we have something to offer, not because we haven't made them mad.

I think that is a pretty worthless argument, what your saying is build a load of units so we can not use them but have them around to look pretty and thus people will ally with us and give us a load of tech as we have so many units. :mischief: be realistic. Sure we can bully people into doing this but how long will it take for a couple of teams to gang up on us if we did that, not very long.

it is a lot harder to attack in civ 4 than it is to defend, however if you gain a tech advantage on your foes then you can punish them pretty easily, by not picking a financial or a philosophical civ then we are already at a disadvantage in that we cant make use of our traits to propell us scientifically. Naturally this would still be ok if we we're playing a bunch of AI as we could just run along and kill everyone, here however it is not so good- teams will group together and share techs, eventually if you stand around being the hardman you are going to get out teched and killed.

The colossus will help us with that, it gives a bonus to every sea tile, it allows us to effectivly keep pace with financial civs until we can make use of our GP city and also build some more cities.

regarding ZXZY's spots, i acknowledge that they are good spots, however not only would the maintenance of these 'good spots' kill us but it would be impossible to defend, we would in effect need an army twice the size of a normal civs just to defend both patches- heaven forbid we actually want to attack someone ourselves.

I know what a good Civ player you are, so that facetious summary must be meant as a joke, but you may want to ad J/K at the end because it would be very embarrassing if someone actually thought that reflected your level of understanding of civ strategy.

As you know, warmongering is much more than spamming the map with crappy units and making extortion demands. Such banditry forces enemies together in defense. A more intelligent use of arms recognizes that the value of an army is not measured by what it can capture or destroy but by what you can make others believe it can capture or destroy. As such while great force must be possessed its value is enhanced by infrequent use. Rather you must seek to be the peacekeeper whose company is always welcomed and whose friendship is held in high regard.

Like any other strategy we must keep a sharp eye on our treasury, seek out good city locations, pursue advanced technology and deter attack. A powerful army is not about forcing others to give us what we require, but being able to disregard the threats of others and negotiate from a position of power.

And the colossus is one way of forcing the point of a good army. Another way is by having a massive population, this gives the impression of power without the actual resulting units.

The impression is done through diplomacy, no-one will know what you think without that diplomacy, people can look at the power graph and soldier stats all they like but before the discovery of alphabet no-one can be quite sure what is tech and what is raw power.

Someone will argue now in another thread that we need to research hunting to stop the keshiks of GCA, we seem to be on friendly relations to them for a start but we should stop aiming to be a reactionary team, building the colossus will put us in a position of choice, who will be allied with us and reap the benefits of it and who will fall by the wayside as we tech past them.

oh cheers for the compliment but im no better than your average player.

Top Bottom