Whats the purpose of the Guided Missile?

I think the limits of aircraft was just because with collateral damage considered, they are just way too powerful. A stack of a 100 good units comes at you, and you pound it with 20 bombers, and the units you use to mop up won't even get any experience points.

but they have no limits on the number of artillary you can in a single city either. just seems strange they limit the number of aircraft but not any of the land or navel units.

True. But you really are less likely to lose the aircraft. There's only a couple of units that can damage them. And you very rarely lose one if it was undamaged at the start of the attack.

I think the limits of aircraft was just because with collateral damage considered, they are just way too powerful. A stack of a 100 good units comes at you, and you pound it with 20 bombers, and the units you use to mop up won't even get any experience points.

I'm not sure if you meant that literally, but those mop up units will always get at least 1xp for each kill.

Think of it this way: If you were to launch a Guided Missile, would you rather hit a small target that's numerous and easy to replace, or a large expensive target that takes time to replace?

It is relatively easy to get capacity for 20 bombers, you can build forts as airbases.

It is relatively easy to get capacity for 20 bombers, you can build forts as airbases.

But then you have to go through the trouble of building the fort, defending it, and knowing where to build it, and oy vey I kvetch too much :). To sum it all up I'm lazy :D

patches of desert, or outskirts of your cities are good(tiles outside the cross not being used). You don't have to worry about defending them :p Planes can rebase faster than any enemies will get to them... so they strike at an army 1-2 times or more as is possible, then fall back to inner cities or forts (which will then be within striking range).

It can be done, sure. But unless you have unused space next to your rival, and time to build, and a lot of workers, it's pretty hard to have all the forts you need where you need them and when you need them. I've done it. But I've also had more situations where it wasn't really practical to do so.

I always place forts on desert, tundra, and snow tiles. But yes guided missles are VERY useful, I learned this just the other day actually. I was at war with Bismarck and three of his cronies with Brennus and two of his cronies and Zara as my crony. Me and Zara are on another continent from everyone else so after I sent my main attack force over seas I realized that Bismarck had many SoDs. With basically half the continent at war with me, I had to split up my forces. Well, thanks to an actual naval invasion by Zara, an AI, I only had three other enemies to worry about where I invaded. So once my forces were attacking I realized that getting reinforcements to my newly conquered cities was going to take a long time (14 turns at least as it took 7 to go there and 7 to go back) so, I thought hey let's try some guided missles and see if that can stunt Bismarck's advances. Well I had most of my cities, a lot actually, build them. So every turn I'd get a nice healthy stack of guided missles. I would fire some at a stack and I'd notice when I put the cursor over the stack, it appeared that Bismarck lost units... Hmmm interesting "stroking beard"...... So I made more, and voila! guided missles, in enough quantity can kill units. So I recommend building en masse when you can or when you need to get some support quickly, because they can rebase like airships and go to forts. Happy bombing!:goodjob:

Guided missles are great because there is no counter for them. They don't abort their mission because of antiaircraft fire, and the SDI doesn't stop them. They are also lethal, able to kill a unit (vs. just beat them up really bad like air units).

Most cities can spit them out in 1-3 turns, and production cities can manage 1 per turn. I'll embrace any low-cost weapon that can stagger a Modern Armor or Battleship.

I like using them en mass as SoD busters or as tactical weapons to knock out an opponents' oil or uranium resources. True, you could do the same thing with bombers/fighters, but the resource is probably guarded by at least one anti-air unit and is also receiving air coverage from 1 or more adjacent cities. I'd rather fire off one guided missle at that target than have 2 or 3 air units damaged trying to make a bombing attack on said resource.

I used them recently against a late game space launch on immortal. The capitol was inland, and these suckers allowed me to bombard the capitol instantly, and cause some collateral, ignoring everything that would normally intercept and allowing me to take/raze next turn.

Late game, they come 1/turn on most speeds, and can really facilitate a fast strike with or without air superiority. I've had a number of successful mech infantry/missile raids on the AI now.

I do wish their range was 1-2 tiles better.

if you can began building them as early as possible, do it. once you have 40 guided missiles, load a ton onto submarines. They are useful if you plan on launching an attack on a city on a coast. submarines can launch them while your marines land and take the city!

Guided missiles are great.

The only thing is, they have no counter. Even nukes have the bomb shelters and sdi.

There should be some type of counter measures for ships and other units, like chaff or some type of promotion to combat the guided missile.

Guided missiles in the game perform a function similar to the one they perform in real life: aerial bombardment that is immune to air defence. The AI loves to spam SAM infantry and mobile SAM. Thus, once the AI has those units, attacking from the air can be pointless. So if you need to take out an AI city fast (like one that's getting close to legendary culture) what you normally do is surprise attack it in one quick blast. Well, if the city has a good air defence, that will be difficult to do. With guided missiles, it becomes much easier. Of course, I suppose you could also use nukes...but that opens up a whole can of worms. Using nukes means your enemy probably has nukes as well, since building the manhattan project magically makes everyone nuke capable, and so you'll get nuked back, not to mention the terrible diplomatic penalties.

Dumb Point: I have never figured out how to get a gm to load on a submarine. So I don't build them. How do they load?

GMs cannot rebase onto subs. They can only load onto them while they're both in a port city.

Before I invade another nation I like to stack them all along the border and use them as a first strike to cripple their economy. I hit every possible tile within range to knock out farms, mines, roads (leading from the front line cities to their next line of cities) to slow down reinforcement. Also, if the enemy has a coast I will stack them in subs and use them to hit key resources within range.

I've never really used them much to hit the enemy forces for some reason... I think I may start doing that having read some of the comments on here!

Top Bottom