Best Civ for Culture victory

My vote is for France. On lower levels where you can wonderspam, the UA + aesthetics for 400% theming bonuses is very powerful. On higher levels the UB shines. Brazil is too vulnerable in the early game with the jungle start IMO.

Brazil!

The jungle start can be really challenging at the beginning, but they really pick up steam in a fun way. And declaring modern era wars to rack up golden age points is fun and prevents a cultural victory from becoming a 'wait out the clock' kind of victory condition, you can use war to drive yourself toward more carnivals!

I played Brazil for a cultural victory at King level, and I had a much harder game than I did with Venice getting a cultural victory at Emperor. I still won both games, but as Brazil I almost lost an early war to Shaka and Gajah. Yes, Brazil's ability is by far the best for a cultural victory once you get to the late game, but their early game is so weak (primarily the lack of production due to jungle start bias) that getting to the late game in a position to win the game can be the challenge.

I do think Brazil is one of the more fun civs to play for a cultural victory. But I believe there are lots of other civs which can win a cultural victory more easily.

The thing about Brazil's jungle start is its lack of production is offset by a perfect set up for the pantheon that grants Culture per jungle tile. That sends you racing through the policy tree at ridiculous speed. It's culture, not faith, that gives you Reformation beliefs, so as long as you can race there and have a religion at that time you can grab the religious building bonus; Piety's lack of culture is mostly ignorable. You can also use the cheaper Great Artists bought with Faith to pop more Golden Ages.

I'm really harsh on the Piety tree and think it needs buffs, but Brazil is the one civ where I consider it okay. Diety is probably the only place where I'd worry about it more because of concerns about how fast the AI grabs religions.

Believe it or not (Korea and Babylon) the science civs are really good for CV since they can nab midgame wonders more often.

I find Polynesia to be also really strong, Brazil's golden ages are a guarantee for CV if you've survived til late game.

Korea. faster internet and gg.

Yep. The sad fact is that culture victory without conquest is a science race to the internet, so whoever's best at science is going to be best at culture. France and Brazil both get worse as you move up in difficulty; it gets harder to build the key wonders for France (you can expect the Louvre and rely on Sistine but that's about it) and Brazil's slow start is even rougher the more early game advantages the AI gets.

Assyria and the other strong domination civs are also good picks, since the best way to win culture is to make sure your opponents aren't generating any. :crazyeye:

Decided to try the Mayans first on King. Seems to be going pretty well so far with a tradition opener. Have not pissed anyone off yet.

Korea. faster internet and gg.

There are two ways to play a CV; outtech everyone and get to the internet OR bank about 4000 faith, finish aesthetics and win the international games and perform three concerts. The real constraint is winning the international games on deity.

Yep. The sad fact is that culture victory without conquest is a science race to the internet, so whoever's best at science is going to be best at culture. France and Brazil both get worse as you move up in difficulty; it gets harder to build the key wonders for France (you can expect the Louvre and rely on Sistine but that's about it) and Brazil's slow start is even rougher the more early game advantages the AI gets.

Assyria and the other strong domination civs are also good picks, since the best way to win culture is to make sure your opponents aren't generating any. :crazyeye:
You don't need the internet OR CONQUEST to win a CV on Deity. It certainly is a viable way to win a CV but its not the only way.

Top Bottom