Some new game mechanics

I just want to share some new mechanics I'm adding in my personal mod.
They are implemented as "game options" (you can enable or disable each of them).
I just wanted to have either some new crazy and funny challenge (as it happens with one city challenges), or something to make games even funnier and more impredictable.

1- INVISIBILITY
Every foreign unit is invisible to human players.
Single units become momentarily visible only when a fight happens (either on attack or on defense).
It doesn't apply to AIs (they can still normally see every unit).

2- HUMAN-KILLER BARBARIANS
It adds some more challenge to barbarian units against humans.
Every barbarian unit will have 10 (TEN) first attacks against humans.
It doesn't apply against other AIs units.

3- HUMAN-KILLER AIs
It makes enemy units quite deadly.
Every AI (non-barbarian) units that ATTACKS a human unit will ALWAYS win WITHOUT suffering any damage.
Anyway, these units will defend normally, without any modification.
Note: it doesn't impact the AI logic to decide WHETHER attack or not: the AI will still avoid impossible fights. So, even if, with this mod, a warrior COULD attack and defeat a Mech Inf, the AI logic will avoid such an impossible fight.

4- DYNAMIC LEADERS
All leaders start the game without ANY trait.
As the game goes on, every leader (AI and human) will periodically gain new traits, depending on how he played (his research, his builds, and the preferences of the leader).
Also, AI (non-human) civilizations will periodically SWITCH leader (still based on his research, his builds, and the preferences of the leader). So, for example, you can have an Indian empire that, after 2000 years of reign of Gandhi, is now ruled by Shaka!!!

I'm having quite fun with them!
Particularly, I've found this EXTREMELY CHALLENGING setting:
raging barbarians, invisibility, human-killer barbarians
And, if you want even more, just add
always war, aggressive AI, human-killer AIs.

I just want to share some new mechanics I'm adding in my personal mod.
They are implemented as "game options" (you can enable or disable each of them).
I just wanted to have either some new crazy and funny challenge (as it happens with one city challenges), or something to make games even funnier and more impredictable.

1- INVISIBILITY
Every foreign unit is invisible to human players.
Single units become momentarily visible only when a fight happens (either on attack or on defense).
It doesn't apply to AIs (they can still normally see every unit).

2- HUMAN-KILLER BARBARIANS
It adds some more challenge to barbarian units against humans.
Every barbarian unit will have 10 (TEN) first attacks against humans.

3- HUMAN-KILLER AIs
It makes enemy units quite deadly.
Every AI (non-barbarian) units that ATTACKS a human unit will ALWAYS win WITHOUT suffering any damage.
Anyway, these units will defend normally, without any modification.
Note: it doesn't impact the AI logic to decide WHETHER attack or not: the AI will still avoid impossible fights. So, even if, with this mod, a warrior COULD attack and defeat a Mech Inf, the AI logic will avoid such an impossible fight.

4- DYNAMIC LEADERS
All leaders start the game without ANY trait.
As the game goes on, every leader (AI and human) will periodically gain new traits, depending on how he played (his research, his builds, and the preferences of the leader).
Also, AI (non-human) civilizations will periodically SWITCH leader (still based on his research, his builds, and the preferences of the leader). So, for example, you can have an Indian empire that, after 2000 years of reign of Gandhi, is now ruled by Shaka!!!

I'm having quite fun with them!
Particularly, I've found this EXTREMELY CHALLENGING setting:
raging barbarians, invisibility, human-killer barbarians
And, if you want even more, just add
always war, aggressive AI, human-killer AIs.

How does the invisibility work? Does it not mean that the AI cannot defend their cities, you can just walk into them?

I really like the dynamic leaders idea.

"Invisibility" is that you (human only) cannot seei AIs and barbarians units, but, if you run into them when moving or move into an (actually defended) city, the unit becomes momentarily visible, the fight happens, and then the unit becomes invisible again, but you will only see the one you just fight against (not the entire stack).

Invisibility would be interesting. While somewhat of a nightmare (ever played the Shogunate Civ3 Conquest scenario where sometimes the AI would build almost exclusively invisible units?), it would also yield a potentially-interesting "paranoid" variant due to never really knowing where the AI would attack.

Human-killer barbarians would be annoying. Personally, I'm not a fan of AIs targeting you solely because you are a human. For the same reason, Human-Killer AIs wouldn't be up my alley. It reminds me somewhat of playing the Teutons in the Civ3 Rise of Rome scenario, where your only unit was pretty strong at offense, but had minimal defence. They were actually fairly weak due to having no chance on defence, but with normal defence? I'd probably pass.

I feel like some Civ4 mods may have tried dynamic leader traits, though I'm not sure. Perhaps someone else would know? I've primarily played HRW and EE3.

Top Bottom