Rise of Rome Scenario

Aren't the capital cities victory ressources? Hold the cities to collect points I guess.

Victory resources are literally resources, in the same way that Cows or Fish are resources.

They are found near enemy capital cities, but only the major civilizations(Carthage, the Celts, Egypt, Greece, Rome) have them. As the human player, you do not have a victory resource by your capital, regardless of which nation you chose, so you must relatively quickly conquer another nation's capital to avoid falling too far behind in points.

To collect points, you simply need to be in control of the resource. You get 10 points per turn per victory resource.

I'm not looking at the game now, so I may be off here, but if I recall correctly the Roman "Purple" Victory point is outside of Carthage, Greek "Green" is outside of Athens, Egyption "Yellow" is outside of Memphis, and the Celts "Red" is outside of what would be London (the name escapes me).

I have NO idea where the Carthaginian Victory point is. Never found it, and I controlled the entire map (through capitulation). Note that if you have a civ as a vassal, you have to trade for the victory point as a resource.

There are only ever four victory resources, as the human player doesn't start with one. You had them all.

I will admit on noble difficulty, I got wiped out by Carthage and Greece as Rome. I tried two different approaches. One to build up my cities and settle to the north in the vast open spaces until I get a decent war machine ready.

The other to just start building a warmachine and go after greece (Since Carthage is across the sea). Both end dismal failures. Attrition is terrible without a decent siege engine corps so even waiting around a few turns for the army to get mobilized and ready, ends up being where I get flanked on one weak side while the army is away on another. Two fronts? can't be done.

Anyone have a novel strategy?

I've been playing a fairly succesful game as Carthage. I am building up an amazing victory fleet in Sicily that will soon invade Rome and I control all of Spain and western Gaul and I have captured the western Greek colonies. It's about 70 turns in I'd say.

Kaenash said:
Two fronts? can't be done.

Anyone have a novel strategy?

Hit Carthage first. You can take the islands pretty quickly, and follow that up with Carthage itself. By then I'm cranking out enough troops to work 2 fronts. I generally start out by building Barracks everywhere that needs them, then all troops until I see a city in need of happiness/health/etc.

I don't have Warlords, yet.

However, I'm amused at the note above by Duke Togo that Rome should attack Carthage first. It seems the scenario is well constructed to reflect the historical reality that the victory in the Punic Wars preceeded the Roman annexation of Greater Greece.

Now I definitely want to play this scenario.

It's actually easy to play as Rome if you know a bit of history.

Carthage at the start of the game is pretty weak, and seems to be at war with everyone--or be at war with everyone eventually. You should declare war on it within 2 turns, and start taking the islands with your preatorians.

After this send an army to northern africa, while ignoring Greece and Egypt. 8 preatorians and 3 trebuckets is MORE than enough to steamroll through northern africa--and add in a great general too, if you want to go even quicker.

While you're destroying carthage's northern africa, build up your infastructor so you can become a war-machine quickly, and then start massing an army to battle with Greece. You'll need a much larger army this time--I went with 15 pratorians and 7 trebuckets.

Oh yeah, a tip. When taking northern africa, don't leave praetorians behind to guard the cities you don't destroy. Just use slavery to pump out an archer for each city.

Anyways, eventually when you take all of Carthage's northern African cities, the country will usually always ask to become your vessal for life. You might as well agree, since there's no use in taking the rest of his cities in spain.

Build up your northern african army a bit, and then sail them towards Egypt. While doing this, finish up with your Greek army, and then march it towards greece. Egypt is almost always weak as heck by time I get to it, from a mixture of barbarians and not being the best at managing their empire, so I don't have to worry much there. Greece can be awfully strong though...

Oh yeah, and build up a good sized army on the side, along with a nice navy, to take the islands of Greece. Try and get all the wonder cities.

Get Rome into 'war-machine' phase, and then declare war on Greece and Egypt at about the same time. Hope for the best. I usually force both of them to become vessals, since it's useful not having to deal with such a massive empire. After this it's as simple as moving your armies back to northern rome, and then plowing into the Celt's stupidly strong nation. Just destroy the celts completely, except for London and a few cities in France.

About having Greece as a vessal. I've always had some trouble with them as this, and sometimes I've thought it better to just conquer them. They seem to like spreading northward, and then building up a massive army. Unless they make themselves vessals for life, it's risky. Greece will actually work at overpowering you if you're not careful. Carthage doesn't though, since they lack room. Egypt will just sit there.

I am currently playing this as the Celts. It is a lot different than playing one of the other civs. A few tips/ things I have noticed as them:

1) You have no cities at the start. Just a bunch of settlers and Gallic Swordsmen. The first city you create will be your capital. DON'T make it one of the cities in England, you will get killed on the distance maintenance.

2) If you want to get your troops anywhere quickly to fight, you will need roads. You have tons of cities that are far from the front lines of any conflict, that won't need a ton of protection, but you need a way to get their troops they produce to the front quickly.

3) At the beginning, your guys are not that strong. You need to research your gallic warriors to the highest level for them to be worth much. Also, build tons of Trebuchets. While going after the 'big boys' (Greeks, Rome, Carthage) is important, you will get crushed quickly if you start sending one Gallic Warrior at a time at them. Try to build up a decent attack force and attack the minor civ of Spainards, to gain experience, before Carthage wipes them out. That experience (plus the potential to gain a warlord) is key before attacing the big civs.

4) War against Rome early would be suicide, but you do have some nice defensive mountains between you and them, so you may be able to get them to attack your gallic warriors on the hills where they have a good bonus.

5) The Greeks have a couple of cities in southern France/eastern Spain, so after taking out the Spanish, you can attack them, and not have to worry about their main cities being right next to you and having to withstand a massive counterattack. By then, you should have a decent army with which you can start taking out some Romans or Carthaginians and marching on to their victory points.

6) an alternate strategy would be to expand East as rapidly as possible, in order to win a domination victory. There is a ton of land unoccupied, and you should be able to cottage spam all your cities (in paganism, the hamlets provide an extra food per tile) and build up a good economy relatively unprotected. Once you get your army research maxed out, you can pump out a great person about every three turns just from research.

I'd appreciate any input, questions, comments, or anything else about these strategies here if anyone else has tried the Celts.

Top Bottom