Unit types, A/D/M, and Combat Outcomes?

Rellin

Norrathian Gnome
Do certain types of units make better defenders or attackers based on anything besides thier A/D?

Like does an "A" (Attack) based unit like Berserk with 6/2 stats defend as well as a Spearman 1/2? Or does some outside factor get included where the Spearman gets some inherent bonus for defending because of his weapon type, training, armor that he wears?

Been wondering this since I started playing and wondering if anyone knows.

As far as I know, there aren't any other factors or variables that affect attack/defense values, aside from terrain defense bonuses and unit rank. Obviously, an elite spearman perched atop a mountain surrounded by rivers would get an insane amount of defense bonuses compared to, say a conscript Berserk on grasslands. But if it was an elite Berserk on that mountain instead of a Spearman, it would defend just as well.

One would imagine, though, that a horse-killer like the Pikeman would defend very well against a Knight, while suffering very badly against the ranged Longbow, but one could also imagine how much more complicated the game would be if such weapon/armor and strength/weakness values were utilized. Age of Kings is crazy enough for me...

Uncle Dynamite

There is one indirect additional factor, the movement. Faster units has a chance of retreating instead of keeping on fighing when they reach 1 HP, unless their opponent is already at 1 HP. A unit defending a city will never retreat though. This makes faster units better since they will generally survive longer if they are being beaten, and they will also stop the attacke from retreating if the attacker is being beaten.

Top Bottom