Unit Request: Roman Archer

god_money

Prince
Rome often plays a role in scenarios and mods, moreso than most
civs,... thus a near complete flavor unit set would be necessary
to add to the realism. This isn't simply a unit I would want, but
one I feel a lot of people here could use. It's also fairly similar
to several other units out there in a few was, and could possibly,
if done well, be made by copy/paste techniques.

Attachments

• romanarcher_thumb.jpg
    romanarcher_thumb.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 239
Rome has NO archers. No ROMAN archers, I mean. Romans hire some troops - Cretean archers and slingers from Baleares Islands. There were archers in auxiliary troops also - but they wore national clothes.

There were Roman archers but I agree they definitely did not make the bulk of the army. They became more important with time.
The picture is quite good they usually wore that kind of armor (chainmail spelling ?)

There were Roman archers, ya goof!

And regardless of how often they used them in real life, it would be nice if we had something that could replace the Civ3 archer for them.

I agree, it's not really a matter of how they used them in real life, they can make them in the game and it would be cool if they had their own flavor units.

I believe there's a Roman archer on the PTW box. ;)

Originally posted by thestonesfan
There were Roman archers, ya goof!

And that is ALL you have to say? Look, you don't even saw me, don't know me - by what reason are you offending me, anyway?? If I haven't right you could say it more polite.

Dang. I could have sworn that guy was an archer.

Attachments

• roman.jpg
    roman.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 181
Originally posted by Pol_Cop

And that is ALL you have to say? Look, you don't even saw me, don't know me - by what reason are you offending me, anyway?? If I haven't right you could say it more polite.

I was using "goof" in an affectionate way! I never thought it was a very offensive term, but maybe it is in Poland. :D

Originally posted by CivCube
Dang. I could have sworn that guy was an archer.

That's your standard Roman Legion

Before contact, a Legionary would through their Pilum (that Javelin he was holding) at the enemy, draw their swords (Gladius), and fight.

In Civ3, they only use the sword, but the Pila was just as important

that's not anything like what the Legionaire unit looks like. It's more like the figure from the intro movie. Too bad they didn't take the time to convert that guy into an actual unit. :(

Originally posted by Nder
that's not anything like what the Legionaire unit looks like. It's more like the figure from the intro movie. Too bad they didn't take the time to convert that guy into an actual unit. :(

Are you sure it doesn't look like a Legion?

Here's another picture of a Legion (with the Pilum being shown, as oposed to the Sword)

I think he means that it doesn't look like the legionary in the game.

They probably would have given him a pilum, but as a replacement for the swordsman, they gave him a sword. Same case for the Immortal, I imagine.

Top Bottom