Natural Wonders

John DiFool

Chieftain
One thing which I have always disliked about Civ I/II is that the game rewards you for exploiting any particularly valuable natural area which you might come across. Thus a typical modern empire is a megalopolis with railroads, mines, and/or irrigation on every square. You AREN'T rewarded for preserving a particularly unique ecosystem (unless indirectly by reducing global warming).

My suggestion (posted here because the wishlist will shut down soon) is that there be Natural Wonders semi-randomly scattered around the map. Examples would include Everglades, Grand Canyon, Alps, and Great Barrier Reef (thus they can be aquatic too). They can have a special readily identifiable tile set for each (or by right- clicking you can tell). You gain Cultural Points for leaving said areas pristine (i.e. no roads, railroads, or improvements of any sort), but lose CPs if you do build there. Thus a gold icon on top of the Alps might present an interesting dilemma!

True the semi-random nature of their location might be problematic, but if every civilization had one fairly near their starting town, I think it would balance out.

If not I hope at least that building a city in the middle of a wasteland or in the middle of a mountain range carries enough penalties to make said attempt counterproductive. Either way natural areas >should< provide some sort of aesthetic benefit... :frog:

John DiFool

Considering people are complaining that the game is too "PC", I don't think adding some additional ecological stuff to it would go over to well. Maybe they have struck the right balance and we should leave it alone.

It's a very good idea, I too dislike the endgame appearence of rails+farmland everywhere, and with culture involved it could be very powerful.

But too late :( I'd copy this and keep it around until we open the 'Civ 4 suggestions and ideas' section :D

Top Bottom