Guess the UA/UB/UU of the civs

A +15% city attack for all units would be a beyond lame UA. One dimensional and no imagination. But essential if not allowed to found cities.

Hyperbole aside, it is clearly not a UA with "no imagination" as there is no current UA that resembles anything close to it. It would be the most unique UA in the game currently. While you may not care for it particularly, it would make playing as the Huns unlike playing with any other civ in the game, which takes imagination and would be fun.

It could be

The Netherlands:
UU: East India Ship (Replaces Privateer; steals gold from port cities without declaring war)
UI: Polder (culture and gold bonus)
UA: East India Company (gold bonus per luxury resource, happiness from luxury resouces doubled)

The Maya:
UU: Holkan (Replaces Spearman; no movement penalty from forests and jungle)
UI: Step Pyramid (faith and science bonus)
UA: Calendar Stones (free great prophet when calendar discovered, great prophet generation increased by 50%)

Celtia
UU: Pictish Warrior (Replaces Warrior; gains faith from kills)
UB: Gaelic Hill Fort (replaces Castle; twice as much defense as normal castle)
UA: Forest Temples (faith from foests)

The Huns
UU: Gothic Hairus (replaces swordsman; stonger and cheaper than regular swordsman)
UU: Horse Bowman (replaces horseman; faster than regular horse archer, can also range attack)
UA: Born From Barbarians (Barbarian units and camps automatically convert to your side upon attack)

Carthage:
UU: Numidian Calvary (replaces horseman; cheaper than horseman)
UU: Stratego (replaces Great General; allows units in radius to cross mountains)
UA: Merceanary Army (purchasing units costs 50% less)

Byzantium:
UU: Varangian Gaurd (replaces swordsman; cheaper and greater defense)
UU: Tagmata (replaces Knight; boost when fighting in friendly territory)
UA: Church of Constantinople (extra 6th belief in religion)

If the huns can't found cities maybe their unique unit will be some kind of caravan that can transform into a camp that can only build military units.

It would work very nicely in conjunction with 15% city attack bonus, but i think instead they'll get a siege weapon that'll have a bigger bonus vs cities instead of the trebuchet or a horse archer without a bonus to attacking cities.

UA could be something involving getting better rewards for pillaging, that would be kind of cool.

I never specified a 15% city attack bonus. In fact if I were to specify, I'd say either start with Siege I or a special 25% bonus, so with Siege I you'd have a 50% bonus and any units that can get to Siege III would have a 100% bonus.

Huns should get a mobile battering ram that is cheap and has no Iron requirement. If Iron is required, it should automatically get a city attack promotion. Their horse UU can be whatever, I'm sure it will be good.

I think the civs need to be even more geared toward when they were at their peak in history. Even though it is supposed to be a game where history is as you see fit, realism that is a historically accurate representation of a time or civilization is just as important. That's why I don't like abilities that are too general and do not accurately represent that civ. I'm talking about the England's, Ottomans, German's, and India's or the world.

Out of all of the ideas, I'm really favoring the ideas for the Mayans, Dutch and Carthage.

How about something like:

Ballcourt - colloseum replacement, 2 extra happiness, 2 extra culture, 2 gold additional upkeep cost.
Holkan - Spearman replacement, 7 str, 2 movement points, same cost as a warrior.
UA - Something to do with the new faith stuff.

Cothon - Harbor replacement +2 gold, +1 gold from sea resources, lowered upkeep to 4 gold.
Some kind of elephant mercenary UU
Mercanary UA - 15% lower unit rush buy cost

Dike - replaces seaport, +2 food from fish, +2 gold from pearls, +1 food, +1 production from whales, +2 production from coastal oil (on top of the standard seaport bonuses).
Unique ship of some kind
UA - +2 food from marshes, +1 food in coastal cities.

Id really enjoy playing all of those.

... Also please buff Elizabeths UA by adding +10% naval unit strength, she was fun at first but has gotten weak now out compared to most others.

Unable to found cities would be comically bad. Not saying you can't win a one city culture game but honestly, that plays into one dimensional Honor finisher every single time. No flexibility.

What if they were very, very good at conquering cities? Historically the huns were feared so much that quite a few times a city would surrender without any resistance and open the gates hoping to be spared that way. That could translate to a unique ability:

Hunnic Terror: An enemy non-capital city that is outnumbered (calculated by power including defense bonuses of the city, not just unit numbers) by hun military units occupying its work area has a 50% chance of surrendering at the first hun attack against the city.

To balance this the surrendered cities will again switch sides if their original civ does the same i.e. comes with a sizeable force to liberate it. Essentially the same mechanism of hunnic terror but in reverse and works only for the original civ and only for cities that surrendered to the huns.

That would make expanding the Hun empire quite fast but make it also vulnerable for a counter-attack. It would also make you play the Huns somewhat like they did in the history, too, keeping a large mobile military that constantly travels around the Empire trying to keep the cities in line.

Would be fun, I think. :)

So how come the Mongol bonus only cater to CS's while the Hunnic ability would cater to every opposing city? Wouldn't make for great balance. Obviously the Mongols can build more cities, but it is probably easier to capture an early CS with them instead. Huns would be too powerful with a significant city attack.

I don't think it would be very balanced considering Huns would also have pretty good UU's in all likelihood, being a warmonger.

Well, we don't know what their UU(s) will be, so there's no point holding that against them.

I think not being able to build settlers would actually be quite a penalty, hence the need for a stronger benefit.

Is there any information on the Netherlands Sea Beggar and Polder UUs?

Supposedly the Polder provides Tulips, a unique luxury resource. All we really know about the Sea Dagger(Beggar) is that it is a melee naval unit. It's probably a UU of the privateer.

We know the UU is a melee unit that lets you attack cities and steal gold. We know the UI gives a unique resource they can sell. There's something vague about getting more land, which I agree is uncertain. Their UA was described as letting them trade luxuries while still getting happiness from them.

We don't have perfect information, but that's the best of any. It would be nice to confirm if it's a Sea Dagger or Sea Beggar, though.

I'm curious about Carthago, will it be a militaristic or commercial
civ? Maybe a mix?

I like the idea of mercenary Ability, but maybe like:

50% cheaper purchasing units. Units purchased this way
have twice the upkeep.

That way you'd get army up quickly, and disband it if you
ran out of gold.

While I understand the reason in the real world why you would have them cost twice as much to keep (although I'll point out that, for the most part, they were paid in plunder so they didn't cost as much), but I also think there should be a balance need. If the ability to purchase is too good, you could balance it with support costs. That being said, late in game, such costs could be ridiculously high.

I'm curious about Carthago, will it be a militaristic or commercial
civ? Maybe a mix?
I think it would be mostly commercial. They'll almost certainly
get a bonus to naval travel with maybe a -15% cost in purchased units added
being appropriate.

As the developers have already said the UA for the Mayans will be calander related, I wonder what this will mean. Certain benefits for specific years??
Mayan civ is automatically destroyed if they haven't won by 2012AD :lol:

Top Bottom