Football Thread No. 9

Meh, we have four codes of football here, and soccer's the smallest. The smartest thing fans in this country can do to grow the game here is stop getting all high and mighty about people enjoying the game wrong. That includes getting over the football vs soccer thing and not getting all snotty when people call Australian Rules or Rugby League "football" or their game "soccer". And while we're at it, this also includes Craig Foster sooking because Australians thought the 2010 A-League final was very good even though it was all rough and physical and lacked tactical sophistication.

So I think I will continue to refer to the A-League as a soccer league, because it is.

Plus, you know, the term is a century old and originates in the UK anyway.

Edit: Brekkers? No, it's brekkie here. c:)
Brekkie? That's it, I'll have to invade Australia.
I like the way you think :goodjob:
A state stretching across the Pyrenees, including Navarra and southern France. Could work :mischief:
Josu said:
I've often wondered what would/will happen to the Basque and Catalan teams if those countries become independent. There's precedents in other places of teams playing outside their own country, I guess. (Welsh teams in the English leagues, Wellington Phoenix in Australia are actually from a different confederation not just league).
It depends on which league do our teams choose to play in. If we create a basque league with Athletic Club, Real Sociedad and other teams inside it, it will be a joke league. So I guess that our teams will weaken. It would not happen happen the same with Barcelona as it is extremely powerfull club.

Regarding a national team it is not easy as I think that players should have to choose continue playing with current national teams or basque national team. But on paper I think it would be a nice team, Xabi Alonso, Muniain, Herrera, Susaeta, Aduriz... Same for catalonia with Valdes, Xavi, Puyol, Busquets, Cesc....
Maybe like the Welsh/English situation, a pan-Hispanic football federation could be formed.
Josu said:
On the other hand, I am bloody nervous regarding tonights match. :aargh::aargh::aargh:
Me too, can't wait to see Simeone thrown out.
Wait. Do you people watch Crackòvia in Argentina?
No, I do. Follow them through the TV3 user channel.
Excuse me while I celebrate a little bit more

No signal up in the middle of nowhere. Which is as it should be.

@Takhisis, if all it took to beat Barca was "parking the bus", what Chelsea accomplished wouldn't have been nearly as amazing.

Clogging the penalty box and the area around it is easy - what's not easy is coming up with a strategy that will fully counteract Barca's style of play.. because that's what happened - they couldn't play like they usually play. It took a lot of planning, determination, foresight, and discipline to pull off what we did.

Now remove both of our central defenders, including our captain, and score 2 first half goals against us.. and we still win. That's beyond incredible.

Brushing it off as "parking the bus" is silly - it was an incredible performance over 2 legs that deserves a lot of recognition.

Wow I don't think anybody predicted a Bayern-Chelsea final 20 days ago!

Good job to Bayern though. They weren't intimidated by Real.

Also Ronaldo AND Kaka missed penalties, christ almighty. I have changed my opinion on shoot-outs now, they are definitely luck of the draw.

Well, it wasn't just a penalty shootout; it was a penalty shootout against a German team. What were they thinking letting it come to that?

The player I am most impressed by over both legs was Austrian of all countries. It is a shame Alaba is missing the finals.

Bi-bi-bi-bilbao! Llorente, what a forward!

Yeah, and feeding him with crosses may even be a plan B for Barcelona B at the Euro.

I have allready sleeped and I still do not have my feelings in order.
I only can say that I am extremelly happy, and I think that the injury I wrote about yesterday is false alarm. While celebrating the third goal I hit my knee with the seat just in front of me. My meniscus is not the best since I have a ridiculous fall while trekking several years ago, so it hurt a lot.

@pesgores, as I said yesterday you guys showed to be a very good team, your supporters were top class as well, at least they were so while being in Bilbao. I wiss you good luck in the future and I hope we face again in a europa league or champions league, who knows.
Yesterday Athletic Club deserved to win, however I think that you should have killed the leg in José Alvalade, where you were better and after watching the match a 3-1 or 4-1 would not have surprised me.

Tito Vilanova* is just announced by Rosell!

(*The current assistant coach)

More continuity is impossible and it'll be easy to put him in the background again if Guardiola wants to come back this time in a year or two.

I just say :wow::wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

I read somewhere some months ago that he is the one who tough Guardiola. I suppose he knows a lot about football, let's see now how does he manage a team whole of stars and egos

YEAH!!! BYE BYE GUARDIOLA!!! I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT KNOW!!! *copulate* SOCCER!!!!

IT'S TIME FOR A PARTY!!!

In yet another utterly disgusting move, UEFA FIFA is pressing for all continental and national federations to change formats and follow the UEFA calendar, to synchronise transfer windows and so on, generally turning all football league into export markets for European clubs to come and take their pick.

Besides that, how can you expect all leagues to be played throughout the summer? You get 35ºC or more across the entire hemisphere, it's inhuman.

That's good. Or not. guardiola wasn't known for being much of a coach before he took the Barcelona main team.
YEAH!!! BYE BYE GUARDIOLA!!! I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT KNOW!!! *copulate* SOCCER!!!!

IT'S TIME FOR A PARTY!!!
You do know that without guardiola most people wouldn't even know where the city of Barcelona is, right?

Who's the new impersonator for Vilanova at Crackòvia?

Top Bottom