Strong Reaction

Warlord
Settings

• world size: standard
  • barbarians: roaming
  • continents: 70% water
  • temperature: temperate
  • difficulty: monarch

I've played this game for a while and this is my best shield producing capital ever.

It has
  • Iron Works
  • Factory
  • Hydro Plant
  • Manufacturing Plant
Spoiler :

Yeah, that's exactly what you want for a 20k, a few Mountains, a few Hills, some Grassland. You could even increase your yield by making those Tax Collectors change to Engineers, chopping and irrigating the Forest and instead mining the Plains.

Yeah, I am sure that's true, but I am not a calculator guy and the yield while improved would it really be that significant? I guess that depends on how you define significant. Game changing at this stage of the game? Probably not.

In pc games and even board games, d&d comes to mind, there are sure fire numbers generated slight advantages in particular builds/styles, optimization etc. That style of play seems synthetic ... forced and ultimately unrealistic. I tend to play by instinct and preference. For instance. I like planting forest around resources/luxuries. Its not optimized, but I like the way it looks and figure that's the way my civ operates, you know cultural intangibles role playing etc.

Production would jump to 206 shields. 2 turns for an army is nice. Also the additional 21 shields put into wealth would generate 11 tax income instead of 6.

I love my beautiful city and I will not besmirch it by chopping down forests and building gaudy mines

:nono:

Yeah, I am sure that's true, but I am not a calculator guy and the yield while improved would it really be that significant? I guess that depends on how you define significant. Game changing at this stage of the game? Probably not.

In pc games and even board games, d&d comes to mind, there are sure fire numbers generated slight advantages in particular builds/styles, optimization etc. That style of play seems synthetic ... forced and ultimately unrealistic. I tend to play by instinct and preference. For instance. I like planting forest around resources/luxuries. Its not optimized, but I like the way it looks and figure that's the way my civ operates, you know cultural intangibles role playing etc.

I agree. Based on this thread and others, we seem to have a similar playstyle. It's probably why we're both still on Monarch.

While I usually end up chopping forests, there are some things that I usually do for role-playing / aesthetic purposes. For example, I never irrigate tiles that have oil or saltpeter (no one wants that in their food). I always irrigate tiles with cows, horses, or wheat (I don't want to befoul my agricultural land with mines and heavy industry). I tend to irrigate tiles near rivers and lakes to keep a pretty waterfront.

I also try to keep the 5 tile gap between my cities as best I can. If need be, I'll have a 4 tile gap (hopefully staggered so that there's less overlap). I do this because I like having large cities, even though I'd be better off with more, smaller cities. I also generally build every city improvement that becomes available in order to make those cities feel more important.

Finally, I almost always play as the Germans (both because I like the Civ's strengths- the Germans Military/Scientific mix allows you to play as a warrior, a researcher, and a culture builder- and because I am a Germanophile). I try as much as possible to build cities that correspond to their real-life counterparts. I only build Hamburg on the coast. I only build Frankfurt and Cologne on rivers. I only build Stuttgart near horses. When I settle near a lake, I name my city Schwerin or Bregenz or Konstanz, etc.

All of this is a long-winded way of saying that I play for enjoyment more so than complete mastery. I have the most fun from the role-playing and overall strategy aspect. Some micro-management is fun, but I don't want to overdo it. I like my games to last between 4 and 11 hours (depending on the victory- I've had space race wins in 3 and a half hours on a standard size map. Most conquests take between 9-11 hours). But I am certainly still having fun- I've been playing this game for 15 years now!

On the topic of more fun games, I had a ball when I played as an extremist, fanatical environmentalist with anger issues. My objective was to eliminate all other tribes (including my own) and try to save as much Jungle, Forestry and Wetlands from destruction as possible. On completion of this I then planted forests on all tiles where they could be planted and set sail with some Settlers to land somewhere anew and repopulate the earth with purely rabidly fanatical environmentalists:

On the topic of more fun games, I had a ball when I played as an extremist, fanatical environmentalist with anger issues. My objective was to eliminate all other tribes (including my own) and try to save as much Jungle, Forestry and Wetlands from destruction as possible. On completion of this I then planted forests on all tiles where they could be planted and set sail with some Settlers to land somewhere anew and repopulate the earth with purely rabidly fanatical environmentalists:

That's a great idea- just some settlers on a boat in 2050 AD. What was your final score?

Finally, I almost always play as the Germans (both because I like the Civ's strengths- the Germans Military/Scientific mix allows you to play as a warrior, a researcher, and a culture builder- and because I am a Germanophile). I try as much as possible to build cities that correspond to their real-life counterparts. I only build Hamburg on the coast. I only build Frankfurt and Cologne on rivers.

OK, I suggest you change Cologne to Köln to keep it old school ;)

And I do hope that you always correct the spelling of "Heidelburg", whenever the game suggests that the next town be named like this... ;)

(And a few more corrections: "Konigsberg" should be "Königsberg", "Munich" --> "München" and "Nuremberg" --> "Nürnberg")

wonderful... carry on :crazyeye:

I've no idea, lol, that screenie is now my only memory of it

Well, Buttercup, hate to ruin your day, but....

You are bopping the high seas in a gas powered transport. Should have saved a galley. Now you have to restart.

:D

Top Bottom