How to get cities out faster while still building National Wonders?

Is it worth skipping the Monument if you are already going to get legalism?

Immortal player here. On Pangaea I make 2 scouts first almost no matter what. If I've lucked into a culture ruin and going Tradition, I skip the monument usually as I can build something else useful next. It isn't that long to Legalism.

I urge the OP to play his best civ and move up to Immortal and practice startups.

I tend to stick with Immortal and I've never actually accomplished the whole 4 city & NC by turn 80 as I always find something else I want that delays it.
Personally I don't see the issue with holding off on the NC so long as your cities keep growing & you have enough workers to improve tiles.
Building Oracle first means you get your free aqueducts and growth bonus earlier (if you are finishing tradition) and pops a Great Scientist earlier for a better academy.

Diety is much less forgiving and many players seem to ignore early wonders completely, which in this case focusing entirely on growth, 4 cities and the NC is advisable. But again it depends on your circumstances, if on Immortal/Diety you spawn next to Shaka you should go straight for construction and get composite bowmen adap and forget the NC until your position is secure.

I tend to stick with Immortal and I've never actually accomplished the whole 4 city & NC by turn 80 as I always find something else I want that delays it.
Personally I don't see the issue with holding off on the NC so long as your cities keep growing & you have enough workers to improve tiles.
Building Oracle first means you get your free aqueducts and growth bonus earlier (if you are finishing tradition) and pops a Great Scientist earlier for a better academy.

Diety is much less forgiving and many players seem to ignore early wonders completely, which in this case focusing entirely on growth, 4 cities and the NC is advisable. But again it depends on your circumstances, if on Immortal/Diety you spawn next to Shaka you should go straight for construction and get composite bowmen adap and forget the NC until your position is secure.

Spawning next to Shaka normally to me means giving him 3 horses and have him declare war on one neighbor, and then giving him a lux and 1 more horse the same turn to attack another neighbor. Then I just Denounce him. Deity just means that the AI has more gold, more techs so cheaper early techs, and more workers early. Deity level after understanding the mechanics really well is not really any tougher than any other difficulty.

Spawning next to Shaka normally to me means giving him 3 horses and have him declare war on one neighbor, and then giving him a lux and 1 more horse the same turn to attack another neighbor. Then I just Denounce him. Deity just means that the AI has more gold, more techs so cheaper early techs, and more workers early. Deity level after understanding the mechanics really well is not really any tougher than any other difficulty.

Except even if you do that, the Impi carpet of doom will come a knocking after clearing out everyone else on the map :lol:

Nah on deity they get INSANE tile yield bonuses (such that cities that do not grow do grow and cities that do grow grow incredibly fast), a HUGE discount on building wonders (such that they can beat you to any wonder if tech is even), AND they only need half the beakers you do to research the same tech.

Shaka is loyal, so best just give him 3 horses, period. Then rescue his worker from barbs. Then denounce anyone he denounces. You will have a BFF who is also an attack dog for you.

I would get out the 2 -3 settlers that you want ASAP then tech to philosophy and make your NC before planting any other cities. Once your NC is up make more. I definitely would not make settlers after the oracle when you have your NC available to make unless you plan to plant the settler on the turn you finish your NC.

I read on here that the hammer cost for wonders is the same for human and AI.

No I don't think so... (next time I will post a screenshot)
My spy shows that the cost for building the wonder is much smaller for them.

If you want many cities - you will not be a tech lead. Moreover, you will go Liberty, so will not have Monarchy from Tradition and your capital growth will be very limited by available happiness. Thus NC is not needed that much. It is much more important to get better city spots if you decide to go wide.

Shaka is loyal, so best just give him 3 horses, period. Then rescue his worker from barbs. Then denounce anyone he denounces. You will have a BFF who is also an attack dog for you.

Never thought of that before but I've him denounce me 5 turns after he found me at the start of the game so unfortunately you can't always play Mr Nice Guy.
And if he does clean the map up he will either come for you or win a scientific victory.

In my recent game, I simply delayed building my ToA until I got out two settlers and I skipped a monument after getting a culture ruin. I was able to get my national college at around turn 90 while still being able to get both of my wonders. I think the most important change here is getting my cities up faster.

In my recent game, I simply delayed building my ToA until I got out two settlers and I skipped a monument after getting a culture ruin. I was able to get my national college at around turn 90 while still being able to get both of my wonders. I think the most important change here is getting my cities up faster.

I've seen the TOA go by turn 30 on average in my games.

One thing that is rarely mentioned is that each civ has a different priority for building Wonders and of course it depends on how many Civs are on the map - more civs mean more competition for Wonders.

But if you set up a game with all/nearly all warmongering civs you will find that Wonders tend to go much later than usual, giving the player a better chance of getting them - try this out....

But of course some aggressive civs do place a high priority on some wonders, Songhai really likes the Theology wonders.

But back to the topic the best way to progress at high difficulty is to focus on city growth and having a decent army. Even if you make some mistakes so long as you keep growing and you can fend off or deter aggressive neighbors than you will be able to catch up with the AIs - ultimately everything comes back to population - citizens are your most powerful resource.

Well it actually just go with flavors. Askia has a very high religion flavor (7, max is 8) so he has a better chance to build religion stuff. Hagia sophia has a high religion flavor (30) so he'll go for that before going for say the Great Wall which has only city defense flavor which is a flavor askia doesn't really like.

Well it actually just go with flavors. Askia has a very high religion flavor (7, max is 8) so he has a better chance to build religion stuff. Hagia sophia has a high religion flavor (30) so he'll go for that before going for say the Great Wall which has only city defense flavor which is a flavor askia doesn't really like.

Yeah so essentially speaking if you wanted a better chance at getting say the Hanging Gardens or Temple of Artemis than maybe selecting all your opponents as Shaka, Attila, Asshurbanipal, Genghis Khan, Monty etc.... is the way to go

Top Bottom