The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #4 - Arabia

Gustavus Rex

Prince
The Immortal Challenge Lineup - Game #4

Welcome to the Immortal difficulty version of the biweekly The Deity Challenge Lineup-event.

ICL Game #4
You - Arabia
Total Civilizations - 8
Total City States -16
Map – Continents
Settings – Quick quick combat(turn it back on if you would like). Everything else is set to default.
Game Version -
Downloadable Content – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebruchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map pack are intentionally excluded.

Starting location:

Schedule:

Game #1 - July 23th as Japan
Game #2 - August 6th as Poland
Game #3 - August 20th as Ottomans
Game #4 - September 3th as Arabia
Game #5 -

Information & rules cut, pasted and slightly changed from The Deity Challenge Lineup:

Spoiler :
All games in this series will be set to IMMORTAL difficulty. User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change each game, but the pace will always be set at standard and the starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions. New challenges in the series will be posted every other Wednesday.

Who can play?
Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play immortal games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts
We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Future Games in the Series
I want users to submit saves from turn 0. Preferably the person submitting the game has played enough turns to know the map is either difficult, fun, or unique in some enjoyable way. Write a short description as to why it is special and email the save to immortalchallengelineup@gmail.com

Important
If you submit a game for the challenge, you must have the DLC map packs disabled. Not everybody has them and they are honestly kind of useless. Having them disabled will allow more participants.

Attachments

• ICL #4 Arabia.Civ5Save
    621 KB · Views: 516
I see desert :) Moving to the mountain puts those Oasis tiles too far away for my tastes. Any rose-colored rock canyons nearby? I think so.

Yeah, but why not just take the mountain and then buy the tiles?

A scout first will gather the money.

AND we are going to be rich. And then we will take the whole continent with Camel Archers. :)

To be true, settling on gem looks attractive. Arabia, does not chariot archers upgrade to camel archers? I have no idea.

It is a continent map, so clearing the home with camel archers looks tempting...

So the question becomes, do I need the mountain? or are the gems a better spot?

I am finding food is more important than a mountain.

Interesting start - the Arabian UA is going to be insane with all that desert. Wagon Trains policy land route spam? Better make sure you grab Folklore first! Good luck to you all. :)

Interesting start - the Arabian UA is going to be insane with all that desert. Wagon Trains policy land route spam? Better make sure you grab Folklore first! Good luck to you all. :)

it gets even better when you see the neighbours :D

Hi everyone, this is my first 'challenge' post and so far I am finding this game really fun and would like to share how i approached this game. Here goes!

Spoiler :
Made a quick settler on turn 20 ish to settle near ares rock that gave me a kick start to getting DF up fast.

On around turn 50 ish i got DOWed by both Shaka and Assurbanipal(probably spelt wrong!) I decided to get tithe and holy worriors to get my economy up and running and to get ready for a game with lots of wars. Assyria completly failed to take my jungle city and with a couple of faith build comp bows i took and annexed Bullawyo.

Made a sweet peace deal with shaka and snagged Petra :king: suffering form happyness at the moment but should be fixed by bazars soon.

Overall a very fun game so far and cant wait to play more.

Spoiler :
Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 23.28.25.jpg

Spoiler :
Screen Shot 2014-09-03 at 23.28.46.jpg

I attacked my neighbor just as I finished Military Tradition on my Camels. Good times. I made a small mistake and forgot to take enough melee. This allowed my neighbor to hang around for a long time. He's gone now at t167 and I have Logistic Range Camels to finish taking the rest of the continent.

It is just too easy.

Settle on gems.
Spoiler :

After finding shaka I steal couple worker and settler from him. On this map it is easy because he is on flat ground.
I went 3 in liberty, then in piety. Liberty settler went to found Horse city to the left, very near capital.

Build order in capital was scout, scout, shrine(got desert fault), monument, library, granary, archer, archer, (discover construction, connect horses), *4 chariot archers, Petra(Did not get), National epic.

That is basic idea, upgrade 3 archer(one form scout) to composites and my army of chariots(4 at the end) 3 composite, scout and warrior) went and kill Shaka on turn 70. Assyria fall on turn 110 I think, Darius fall on turn 175. (against Darius I had camels and crossbows).

So, meet other continent(they come to me, there is probably coastal connection, as Ashka found me very early and I had no coastal cities).

They enter Renaissance like 5 turns ago so I believe it will be easy to go kill them.

I have 3 logistic camels(1 chariot die) and 3 logistic crossbows. (2 of this camels has range and 1 cross have range).

Spoiler :
Here's my empire after the Conquest of Persia 1380 AD.

Information & rules cut, pasted and slightly changed from The Deity Challenge Lineup:

Do's and Don'ts

Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

It really doesn't take that much effort or time to use the
Spoiler :
spoilers

My bad. The thing is, I can never get the thumb nails to go inside the spoiler tag if I upload the image to this site.

It wasn't meant as a personal flaming but as a general reminder before things get out of hands, again.

What comes to posting images I highly suggest for everyone creating an account in one of the numerous free file hosting websites - it makes life easier.

Yes, use the spoiler-funktion!

@Mutineer - Please edit your post and hide your game progress that reveals the secrets of this beautiful map!

T247 Domination win. I'll post details and some screenshots later. I sort of screwed up and wasted some turns when conquering the other continents, but most of the game was a breeze and winning was inevitable from early on. I usually only win 50/50 on Immortal so I'm not sure if this means I'm getting better or the start was amazing :)

I will say that I was really impressed by Arabia's synergy. I haven't played them since G&K. The ability to rush Petra with desert start bias while defending (or attacking) with upgradable chariot archers is incredible. Then double oil comes right when your camel archers become obsolote (although this game never reached that point). Not to mention the ridiculous GPT income.

Anyway, had fun, thanks for the game!

Argh, managed to pull (to me) an amazing start, then my computer died. Went to Best Buy for a gaming laptop as a stop-gap, tried to download Firefox, but ended up with all kinds of malware 10 minutes after turning it on. I hate computers!
Spoiler :
I settled the gold SE and got a second city SE of gems SW of cap and bought Uluru when I could. Had all kinds of good ruins, pop immediately! Got a late ruin 4 tiles from Persia's cap, WTF?

First pantheon Desert Folklore, obviously. First religion, took Tithe and Pagodas, enhanced after 1st spread with Holy Warriors and Itin Preachers. Have sparse experience with HW, faith bought 3-4 Chariot Archers to go with my core 5 CB's, one a Scout upgrade, plus Warrior, Spear, Scout and late Horsey and CB. After building Petra I built the Market building and got more trades. Decided I absolutely had to try to take Zulu down, saw him reach Ren - perfect time to DOW and start NC and a 3rd Settler! :crazyeye:

Had bribed Assyria vs Zulu 1st time, waste of money, no skirmish. Later Shaka came at my CS Ally to the E with a GG, so I bribed him vs Assyria. DOW'd him after I saw his units move somewhere, and planned to try to mow him down as they crossed the river from the NE. Except he took CS in 2-3 turns and went - somewhere. Meanwhile I had inched my way NE and took a sweet satellite with tons of bronze, and 3-4 turns later had his cap, LOL.

Full Tradition and Piety opener... I don't know if I can recreate it - when I thought I would get crushed he was sending Settlers W, and workers into the drink. I captured like 4 workers - he had 3 cities left and 3 Impis visible. I was probably going to make peace then later liberate the CS and take E coastal city leaving him up the creek after I got Camel Archers (have never used them). Now I don't know if I want to replay...
And now my HDMI link to a large monitor quit working - I hate computers!

Top Bottom