The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game #8 - Mongolia

When I get back to this game (2 months after my last entry due to not knowing how to progress once Keshiks do only 6x2 damage)…….I only had about 10 built I think.

Cities build wealth, of course! :D

Well I've thrown in the towel, there's no warmonger talent in me :)

Spoiler :

Still, my god the Keshiks are amazing. I went all the way up to Poland, in hindsight I probably should have split and went for Portugal+Huns on one side and Greece+Incas on the other. But I took my sweet time farming xp so Athens only fell around 150 and Cusco around 170. By that time Poland built everything up and Attila didn't want to join in the fun even though we were best buddies. Once I saw Great War units in Poland, I knew it was time to concede.

Next time I try this I might try Liberty (maybe with Tradition opener) for increased road speed (because Liz has Pyramids so no need to build that) and try to work a bit faster.

Q for everyone: How MANY Keshiks did you have when you won? In my play through, many moons ago, I built about 12. Is it enough?

I would really recommend more, I think i had 14-15 chariot archers at turn 99 where my research was enough to upgrade them to keshiks. However I actually did remember i lacked money to upgrade the last one of them, so had to wait a few turns before that was ready. I then continued to build more keshiks as well, I think it really beneficial to a few more than actually going to shoot each turn so you can rotate your units out with losing speed in your push.

After taking a breather to take the entry exam for a job position at Microsoft no less, I restarted this map and there's about a million things that went the other way:

Spoiler :

Realizing that by the time I took on Liz (around turn 65), Monty was already ready to seize the opportunity to attack me from the back. Which was a solid enough reason to kill Monty first :D

When I finished him off, I moved out, and turned to Liz. And this is where things went my way. I got double DoWed by Incas and Poland, Alex attacks Incas and Huns are cool guys. And while the Incas threw everything they had at me, and by that I mean a bunch of suicidal lemming trains, I never saw a single Polish unit anywhere in the neighborhood.

I whittled down Liz to London with 2 units defending it only using only Chariots. Keshiks were 3 turns away so I figured, let's wait up a bit, London wouldn't really be taken that fast anyway.

I have plundered about 1100 gold in the meantime and, well 10 Keshiks came out of nowhere and marched through the forest right into Cusco. I have split my forces in the meantime and hit Alex with a CS ally, his army was NOWHERE TO BE SEEN???

As soon as I laid waste to Incas and Greeks, I turned to Huns and blitzkrieged him while he was too busy fighting with Poland.

Hopefully Poland will be worn down by the time I'm done with the Huns.

So far, 157 turns. I think I'll finally pull it off this time :)

Also, I mixed Tradition and Liberty for this one, since Keshiks are hardly affected by the Honor policies, and I have plenty of gold from city connections and trade missions :)

Turn 211 Domination

Slower than some, but I get sloppy when I've got 5 capitals and it's obvious I'm going to win before ideologies.

No difficulties this play through. The difference between my first attempt, which stalled after 2 capitals, and this one, is I have a lot more experience as a warmonger, and I went Honor-Commerce rather than Liberty.

consentient,
So do you think honor-commerce is better than libery-commerce? It looks like games take longer that way (well judging by peddroleum's games) but honor has some really nice warmonger bonuses. Combine that with autocracy and we have a winner :)

I think that Honor-Commerce makes way more gold and is way more fun. I also think that there are some maps, and some situations, where it is better to either go Liberty or Honor.

This is definitely something that can be discussed a lot more...

...but in rough terms, I think that:-

- Liberty gets going faster: if you want (or need) to war earlier, then obviously self-founding 3-5 cities and making archers and selling luxes for a CB rush will generate more hammers and more gold before T100.

- Honor pays better: sometimes you can be T100-120 in a liberty sweep and be really low on cash, even having started into Commerce. Earning money for every kill is what makes Honor a viable strategy for Dom on Deity. Bear in mind that from T130 onwards I had almost no gold from trades because everyone hated me.

- Liberty might be a BIT quicker, but not by much in most cases: In this game, for example, a better player could have gone Honor and still finished around T150-160. I was just really sloppy pushing through the Hunnic and Polish lands because I was tired and wanted the game done. I lost nearly all the Keshiks I built and finished the game with Artillery. A faster player could finish the game with the UU. Also, if you are on a continents map and need to buy or build some promoted ships, Honor is way better. I played a game last week where I had 3 continents, and buying 10 ships in a few turns allowed me to take 4 capitals in 28 turns and end the game.

- Liberty has more happiness problems before the Commerce finisher. Nuff said. Liberty kinda needs you to not raze too many cities to be worth doing, and nothing makes warmongering easier than razing. And if you look at my mini map on the winning turn you can see how empty the map is.

- Honor synchs way better with Autocracy, and anyone who's gotten as far as the Big Ben/Mobilization/Honor finisher combo will know that there is a nice strategy to snowball in the end game and just completely punish the AI (which they deserve!)

Spoiler :
Completed! I have done it, jesus christ this was an epic war and I'm too damn excited to write anything about it, so here's a screenie and I'll get back to you once my adrenaline is back to normal

Attachments

• khaaaaaan.jpg
    khaaaaaan.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 168
Nice one stormtrooper! Just one more finish and you make the front page :)

Feel free to add to an adjacent field that this is my first ever domination win :)

anyway:

Spoiler :

I am absolutely sure that I would and could have finished earlier if I attacked civs in a different order. You see, while I was busy killing Huns, Incas and Greeks, Poland definitely can into Portugal. However, fortunately Lisbon stood, but one city directly in the way got taken in the meantime, cutting them off. Meaning if I took Warsaw and made peace immediately after that, I would be stranded on my way to Portugal because getting open borders would be extremely unlikely.

So I timed this well and cleared a way to Portugal just as I took Warsaw, turn 175 or something. What was even more fortunate, even though Huns hated me for taking their capital, I liberated 2 of their cities and that tipped the diplomacy scale just enough for them to be willing to give open borders. Which practically saved my conquest since every city I took was immediately converted to gold and Huns UA is perfect for disposal :]

When my Keshiks could literally see Lisbon, I simply threw all of them against the city defenses because that was the last capital to take. I swarmed them and Portugal couldn't go anywhere but down. Lots of wonders though, in hindsight I should have gotten them in the 150ish turn.

Keshiks + Khans = unstoppable

Sure, I'll add it for you! :)

I was lucky that
Spoiler :
Poland had wiped Maria I off the map. It meant that I could liberate a couple of her smaller cities and get a diplo bonus, and I only had one guy to go to war with after I wiped Attila off the map. Or rather, my CS allies did!

Spoiler :

Settled here... terrain is simply amazing (no hydro plant this game since we're going domination... I think! (or die trying)) Nonetheless I have no idea how to use liberty or honor so I went normal tradition; if anyhow I'll make 2 very strong cities and see what I can do. Trapping Monte's settler with some useless units.

The war really began t60 or so with chariots (it began t8 or so actually when I stole her worker and has been going on ever since). The Khan's healing ability is simply amazing, allowing your forces to get back on their feet really fast. Too bad the +15HP heal is not applicable to pillage it seems.

One down! (she has Nottingham hidden somewhere so warmonger penalty not extreme)
3 civs have yet to meet her so I have some friends... however Poland and Greece are quite upset at me... Been playing like a normal tradition game so far, NC t60+ or so before expanding and now will be getting education or chivalry (not sure which first); for now I think it's time to scout the map and Aztecs will probably be next (terrain means some civs have yet to meet Monte and he's the scariest one being near and so prone to backstabbing.

I'm sure FA is so proud of me; I bribed twice already this game. It certainly helped my victim was one of the AIs with a really bad personality who I hated otherwise I would feel so guilty.
though I'm thinking maybe I should go for Greece instead (abusing Vilinius and letting them whittle down Alex for me then move in... otherwise late game he's going to be a pain with CS)

I am proud of my little heavenly peacemonger turned evil warmonger. This wasn't exactly what I had in mind for Domination Game since this is one very OP Civ for Dom. However it is still respectful and a very good warm up for some Bribe/Warmonger Games. Although now for my first truly no bribe peaceful CV you have to give me the same OP set up which I am guessing will be Brazil huh?

One might think DCL 10 would be a hard warmonger map but I guess since I got a Domination Victory on it we can't say that it is not. I would think DCL 10 would be a very hard CV without Bribes but I know players showed how easy it was to get a CV on DCL 10.

Anyway my point is that I need an equivalent map that is set up for OP Peacemonger CV like this is for Warmongering, at least for my first attempt at posting Peacemonger no Bribe CV?

Lately the boards have been a little bit sensitive so I want you to know I am not knocking this game/win/attempt that you are playing I am just asking that I get to post my first game/win or loss/attempt at a peacemonger CV with something that is as equal to this game for warmongering.

I was trying hard for many attempts at the Poland Map without bribes but it might be mission impossible for me but I still think I can get the world to all DOW me one by one and I take over the map and force a CV without any Bribes... However, you did suggest a few others but I have prior knowledge of all maps since I either won/lost or attempted each DCL so far and the Inca map was a wrapped up SV that I decided to not finish getting to about turn 250ish I think when I played it.

I was planning on the next DCL for my attempt but since Consentient suggested it was a bad map for our attempts it might be better for me to wait for Brazil since they are most likely one of the best Peacmonger CV civs I would think but you can correct me if I am wrong? In fact what is your top 5 civs for peacemonger CV? I know it is more about the map compared to the Civ but you know what I mean?

Perhaps you could post up a map with a good set up for No Bribe Peaceful CV on the IDS thread since nobody has posted a map in around 3 weeks or so and I can play that one since I would have no knowledge and you could kinda help set the map to tip the odds in my favor?

I am proud of my little heavenly peacemonger turned evil warmonger. This wasn't exactly what I had in mind for Domination Game since this is one very OP Civ for Dom. However it is still respectful and a very good warm up for some Bribe/Warmonger Game. Although now for my first truly no bribe peaceful CV you have to give me the same OP set up which I am guessing will be Brazil huh?

One might think DCL 10 would be a hard warmonger map but I guess since I got a Domination Victory on it we can't say that it is not. I would think DCL 10 would be a very hard CV without Bribes but I know players showed how easy it was to get a CV on DCL 10.

Anyway my point is that I need an equivalent map that is set up for OP Peacemonger CV like this is for Warmongering, at least for my first attempt at posting Peacemonger no Bribe CV?

Lately the boards have been a little bit sensitive so I want you to know I am not knocking this game/win/attempt that you are playing I am just asking that I get to post my first game/win or loss/attempt at a peacemonger CV with something that is as equal to this game for warmongering.

I was trying hard for many attempts at the Poland Map without bribes but it might be mission impossible for me but I still think I can get the world to all DOW me one by one and I take over the map and force a CV without any Bribes... However, you did suggest a few others but I have prior knowledge of all maps since I either won/lost or attempted each DCL so far and the Inca map was a wrapped up SV that I decided to not finish getting to about turn 250ish I think when I played it.

I was planning on the next DCL for my attempt but since Consentient suggested it was a bad map for our attempts it might be better for me to wait for Brazil since they are most likely one of the best Peacmonger CV civs I would think but you can correct me if I am wrong? In fact what is your top 5 civs for peacemonger CV? I know it is more about the map compared to the Civ but you know what I mean?

Although perhaps you can post up a map with a good set up for No Bribe Peaceful CV on the IDS thread since nobody has posted a map in around 3 weeks or so and I can play that one since I would have no knowledge and you could kinda help set the map to tip the odds in my favor?

Certainly if I go warmonger with the Mongols (once I have more experience then I can do it with more generic civs) then you should start your CV with a civ that is good at it! (well, the Brazil map, once it comes out, I'm going to suggest you don't settle in place but head north, you'll see what I mean)

But if you don't want to wait, the Inca DC or China DC is perfect for turtle peaceful CV on deity... I can also dig up some maps of my own if you don't like replaying (I had some crazy Polynesia maps saved up but that was before the latest patch).

We all need to start from the easier maps first when playing for a new VC (and I picked Brazil simply because I feel CVs are too rare in the DC series; would like to encourage more players to try it!)
My top 5 would easily be:
Brazil (although playstyle-wise Brazil is unique; you focus more on science and less on diplomacy/midgame wonders which to me, makes CV a little less fun when using them)
Polynesia (if there is coast at all; basically they get "free" landmarks for their NVC city)
Maya
Inca
Egypt/Celts (depending on the terrain; Egypt for faster wonders, Celts for religion and for once you will get to build their UB, going culture)

You will notice I do not have France; simply because on deity they have absolutely nothing going for them unless you can get the wonders. Chateaux, unlike Moais, cannot be clumped and overall useless in general until flight. They are, however, very fast in getting CVs on immortal and below, or when their starting terrain is OP the theming bonuses add up to a monster capitol.

Spoiler :

Pretty amazing city to take... My keshiks have just arrived (went for education first in the end)

I'm probably now also public enemy #1... uh oh... I rarely had a choice in the matter... he only had 2 cities and one of them was clearly in the way.

So after chivalry, what tech next? (science theory or dynamite?) And who would you go after if you were me?

One word: Cannons

Oh, and you need to take out the student of Aristotle before he can take over all the CS that are on your warpath

Oh, and @F.A. = Since KB is a little out of his element, even if he's using an OP civ, I think you should resign yourself to not knowing how tricky the map will be for no bribes. If you have a difficult warmonger neighbour, I guess you'll have to fight defensive wars and hope the other AIs take them out.

I agree that DCL #5 and #6 are probably the obvious choices if you don't want to wait until the 22nd when KB's Brazil map goes live.

OK I've found maps which I think will be very easy for a peaceful CV attempt FA.
Try either of these (either start is quite OP IMO in any case), you will have plenty of room to expand and the terrain overall is great for making monster capitols.

Be warned, I have handpicked your opponents; but I promise you that if you are on your best behavior you will never see a single DoW all game. However, since you are NOT to conquer anyone (save for worker steal or to liberate at the very most); you will have to outbuild these AIs, so pay attention to infrastructure and tech and you should be good.

If not, WELL... some of the AIs chosen have a pretty high propensity for... ahem... wonderwhoring as much as I do. Best of luck.
In the first save, you might want to explore a little bit before settling. Part of getting an easy peaceful CV is how to choose the best spot for your capitol. (I will remind you that wanting marble in the 3rd ring no matter what has ruined so many games for some players)
In the 2nd one (diamonds), in case you don't like wandering, well, just settle in the obvious spot. It's pretty good already.

Attachments

• sun god victoria.Civ5Save
    507 KB · Views: 69
  • diamonds mountain river.Civ5Save
    507.3 KB · Views: 123
Thanks for the maps KB. I need practise at CV too. I will start a separate thread for mine and F.A.'s playthroughs, OK?

Top Bottom