The Deity Challenge Line-up - (Future Challenges)

@Consentient

If you were to post a poll, you'd find that the vast majority would be very happy if you stayed on as host. If you are stepping down to free up more of your own time, that's understandable. If you are stepping down for any other reason, I believe you are mistaken.

The DCL will be challenged to find a host that can come close to what you have done (I personally love the spreadsheet work). I hope you reconsider.

My sentiments exactly.

Most people are very happy with consentient as host they way it is; if he is stepping down because of his own free time issues, we understand, but I don't think he should step down because he thinks he's not doing a good job... (and people who complain it's too easy they are welcome to submit their maps I'm sure, OR just play by themselves)

I have no free time issues. The main reason I would like to step down is to let someone else have a go. By the end of my run, I'll have posted 15 maps, covering more than 1/3 of the possible playable civs. It will be 50% more than Dinglebirdy and Grendeldef combined.

The previous DC series ran into the 30s at least, I think, but I'm not sure how subscribed it was, or what Moriarte felt about hosting it. He's not on here much anymore for me to ask him. For me to feel that the DCL is really worth it, there would be at least 20 finishes for every map, and for everyone to play it their way. So the best players see how quickly they can win or experiment with a new strategy, and the newcomers try out their skills and learn the ropes.

People are now saying they want me to stay on but it seems that there is still something of a disagreement over what the future of the series should be, and what sort of maps should be posted, etc.

A couple of people have made the point that the host can't please everyone and that I should just ignore the negative comments, but I'm not really that type of person. I asked those who wanted harder maps to submit them, but nothing materialised. I then asked them if they would mind, finally, 'speaking now or forever holding their peace', since I was a bit sick of what I considered to be unconstructive criticism. Also, I outlined my reasons for choosing the maps and why to me they are quite interesting. Some people clearly do not share my view because some of the maps are woefully under-subscribed.

Anyway, the last 2 DCLs have been immensely popular, and that makes me happy, but there are clearly those who want more challenging maps, and maybe the community can decide what it wants most of all. If it really wants to keep things as they are, I might, might, might, consider staying on, but I really want to give a chance for anyone else to step forward and have a go.

Let's see how we all feel in a couple of weeks after the Valentine's Special, but my position remains the same at present: it's probably time for a new era. Can't stay in the Medieval forever ;)

You'll never gt 100% approval its always easier to complain from your armchair than to do the job. Anybody that run an association, a MMO guild or a business would tell you the same thing.

Your maps so far have logic to them. I don't want to play maps that all look like DCL10 and I doubt many would. It's true that besides the netherlands one it has been a little on the easy side lately but that's not necesarily easy to really judge difficulty in advance either. As long as maps are varied and make sense for the civ I'm happy.

Als Im going to guess Venice for VDay. Romantic and atypical.

My major point about difficulty is: yes, it IS difficult to judge in advance, and, for those who want them a bit harder, click the mailto: link on the front page of any DCL thread ;)

I've had about 8 submissions so far. 4 needed map packs, despite the warning I put out. 2 were not suitable, and 2 have been chosen.

Alright I wasn't sending any maps in because you have everything worked out for weeks in advance but since all the talk about nobody submitting I finally got off my rocker and sent in 5 maps. I disabled the three map packs that you ask to disable and all 5 are different types of starting dirt. I hope they are not corrupt or that you have any problems with them. All 5 are the same Civ though since we have not played this one and we were just in a discussion about this country.

If you do not like 1 out of these 5 I will submit another 5 until we get one that works! I hope this Civ is not the V-Day special but if it is I will get 5 more maps from another Civ!

About the Slavery choice in Civ IV... it is really strong and it makes perfect sense with the way the world is and was. I used to love how once you got into the 1800s and if you were in Slavery your people would revolt until you Abolished it!

I've not received anything from you, F.A.

Could be Outlook.com just being crap and maybe I have to wait?

if it's not disclosing top secret informations, would you mind telling us what civs you have maps already selected for, so we might try and generate maps for the others.

Well the first email I sent had all 5 maps in one email so maybe the files were too big so I resent 5 individual maps which should be listed as plains, forest, grassland, desert and jungle starts. All on Fractal Maps of course! If that didn't work I guess it is just being slow and will check back later to see if it got to you.

FWIW - I appreciate the efforts of the host. I have no complaints. Finding a map that provides a 'challenge' is a HUGE time sink just because of the way the map generator works.

What I like best is reading about how each player approaches the map and I also am very interested in what the AI does in each game because it can be very different depending on which strategy the player chooses.

A couple of people who are still playing are miles ahead of the pack in terms of skill and I appreciate that they take the time to show the rest of us how they played it.

I'm going to assume that it will be Carthage Archipelago combination since I'm willing to bet everyone of us had at least one girlfriend that was just like Dido :D

Or it could be Russia but the colour theme kind of hints to Spain, so I'll definitely wait and see

OK so I've made a final decision...

I have maps to take us up to DCL #25, due to be posted on 3rd April. After that I will step down. This gives the DCL community just shy of 2 months to find a replacement host.

Since I am making this announcement, I am going to also announce the civs I intend to use, so that the new host can begin planning which maps they will post in the period beyond my tenure.

So the schedule is this:-

DCL #20 - Valentine's Special, civ to be kept a secret
DCL #21 - Brazil, submitted by KB27787
DCL #22 - Celts, Fractal
DCL #23 - Arabia, Pangaea
DCL #24 - England, Continents
DCL #25 - Greece, map to be revealed later ;)

if it's not disclosing top secret informations, would you mind telling us what civs you have maps already selected for, so we might try and generate maps for the others.

See above ;)

Well, i won't try to roll a Celts map then :blush:

Sorry to hear you are stepping down
Thanks for the work you put into this so far :goodjob:

I can try and roll some maps, i could even post them, but i'm not interested in maintaining the finishers spreadsheet. To be honest, i don't know how long i will be interested in this (i've played a lot of civ5 over past years) and i tend to vanish without warnings from game forums when i'm no longer interested in the game :undecide:

Top Bottom