Warrior Farm City under HR?

Choggy

Prince
I asked the question on another thread regarding when warriors become obsolete if you built them in a city with no access to your trade network via rivers, roads or coast (ie no access to metal).

A couple of posters suggested that this could be until you pick up gunpowder or get rifling.

Now if this is the case, I'm thinking that such as city could be used solely for spamming warriors that you can then garrison in the rest of your cities and so under HR you'd potentially never reach a city's happy limit, which would be particularly useful when at war.

Anybody tried this?

Thought that'd be the case but thanks anyway. So is there a point when warriors become obsolete in such an instance? I've tried the forum search function, there's hundreds of posts with 'warrior' and 'obsolete' in them!

I question whether GP/Muskets is the point of obsolescence. Warriors can certainly not be built once you hit Rifling and I would think the same of Military Science (Grens) if you go that route, which I rarely do. You can build Maces at the same time as Muskets. As long as you can build Maces, I assume you can build warriors.

OP, you can always test out these types of questions using Wordbuilder as well. Start a game and just add techs until you can't build warriors anymore.

Ok...I tested it. You can definitely build warriors with no metals and GP...see screen below:

Spoiler :

I added both Rifling and Military Science separately and in both cases, warriors were no longer available. However, maces are still available, which goes against what said above. I always thought melee units retire at Rifling as I usually try to get out some mace for CR promos and upgrade to Rifles. When I add Rifling and MS together, melee units are retired.

So based on this, I'd say the retirement point for warriors is reaching either Rifling or MS.

Just done my own test in a game I'm playing right now (I've got an island with a city in it with no land resources, so expanded the land out using WB beyond the BFC).

I've got Gunpowder but not Rifling. And I could build a warrior.

@Lymond. Based on what you've done, I'd say that Rifling is the switch point.

Edit: Added Military Tradition. Warriors not longer available. Added Rifling without Mil Trad, again Warriors not available. Therefore, it seems that Mil Trad is the tipping point.

Never built a warri city, too expensive imo and settler isn't for free too ;)
Normally during early game times, you will wonder what you should build while growing some cities...then would be a good time for some warris. Or during peaceful times, trade your metal away. Sometimes you could also avoid hunting. Or disconnect copper/iron, but not your city..lots of better options.

Never built a warri city, too expensive imo and settler isn't for free too ;)
Normally during early game times, you will wonder what you should build while growing some cities...then would be a good time for some warris. Or during peaceful times, trade your metal away. Sometimes you could also avoid hunting. Or disconnect copper/iron, but not your city..lots of better options.

That's because of the Settings with which you play. For my games, a Warrior-city would be of great use. I can't build 100+ Warriors I'm gonna need for a Huge map in the beginning, and I cannot disconnect and connect my Metals all the time, and how is a Warrior-City too expensive? Otherwise, one would have to build even more expensive units, it actually saves money! And trading away the metals, that is the worst I've ever read. You could also write "make another Civ stronger by allowing it to upgrade everything to the best units available".

What if you get the settler from a tribal village? I count that as free

No, because you will have to build another settler if you have to build another city :p

That's because of the Settings with which you play. For my games, a Warrior-city would be of great use. I can't build 100+ Warriors I'm gonna need for a Huge map in the beginning, and I cannot disconnect and connect my Metals all the time, and how is a Warrior-City too expensive?

You can build your "checkers" as long as you wish...even while Maces are already available, so your settings hardly count.

You can build your "checkers" as long as you wish...even while Maces are already available, so your settings hardly count.

No, you can't. They become obsolete once Maces are available. Do you believe that or do I have to make a Screen?

No, you can't. They become obsolete once Maces are available. Do you believe that or do I have to make a Screen?

Not true....You can build warriors up to Rifling or MS. I've already demonstrated this.

As for disconnected metals, it is quite easy. Pillage the metal and then build it back to 1t before completion..finish when you want it back. Fairly standard ploy.

Not true....You can build warriors up to Rifling or MS. I've already demonstrated this.

As for disconnected metals, it is quite easy. Pillage the metal and then build it back to 1t before completion..finish when you want it back. Fairly standard ploy.

Please read before you answer next time, Mylene and I were talking about building Quechuas while having Metals. When having them, Checkers aren't available anymore once Maces become available, I can proove that by Screens. Mylene said, that they'd be available even when Maces come up, which simply is not true. Pillaging is no option for me, as I play Huge maps with 100+ cities, I cannot just pillage the metal and by that hold the production in 30+ cities just to build some Warriors, that's ineffective.

gl with your screenie, test it ~~

I don't need luck, I have skill, a very very good memory, and this:

Now you tell me where the Warrior or Checker is.

Relax a bit skilled guy ;)
Iam just playing around, If you avoid hunting you could still build them.
And nopes, it doesn't mean anything..

Spoiler :

So I shall play without Scouts & Archers? Without HAs and I shall trade for Elephants? Even better, without XBows? Without Spears? :D You made my day :D .

Top Bottom