Downloaded Version Won't Even Start Up

Bramacan

Chieftain
Used to play this years ago. Burnt out my first copy and lost the second so I decided to pay for a downloaded version off of gamers gate. It goes through the install seemingly alright but at the end the "insert disc" window shows. If I had a damn disc I wouldn't have paid to download it. Then a window shows up to remove all the downloaded files. If I try to run it it says cannot open. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well, that's weird. I have installed the GamersGate version of Civ3(In)Complete* twice, both times successfully, and I had no such problems.

Spoiler :
The GG version doesn't (appear to) include a PTW.exe, although it has everything else that was originally supplied with C3Complete

The first installation was on my old WinXP SP3 laptop, early last year, in the default location (C:\Program Files\...\Civ3Complete\...). The second time was on my shiny new Win8.1 desktop, a couple of months ago -- but for this installation, I modified the installation path from the default
C:\Program Files (x86)\...\Civ3Complete\...
to
D:\Games\Civ3Complete\...

That was for two reasons:
  1. On my system, the C:\ is a 200GB flash memory (where Windows etc. is installed), so I want to avoid multiple re/writes as I create and delete savefiles (and maybe also mods), which I understand is bad for solid-state memory, whereas D:\ is a 1TB HDD, which can take it
  2. To avoid the problems that I've read about here on CFC, for WinVista and later versions (VirtualStore issues), which are caused by installing to C:\Program Files (x86)\

However, I could use the same GG activation code (provided on purchase, can be viewed via/copied from your GG account info for the game) for both installations.

So I think you'll need to provide more info, such as:
  • What's your operating system?
  • What was the installation pathway?
  • Did you get as far as being prompted for the GG activation code?
  • Do you have any screenshots of e.g. error messages?

Top Bottom