2014 NCAA Football Thread

A gmail address is soliciting $25 donations towards UAB 2016 football season tickets, hoping to reach 10,000, which would be the most in CUSA. Coach Clark has bought 100 . . .

Oh, and if it turns out there's no UAB football in 2016, they'll give you your money back. No, really. Promise . . .

It's a pretty good scheme, really. Who's going to put up that much of a fight trying to get their $25 bucks back a year and a half from now . . ?

And UAB is in. Looking like a 13-14-15 seed, from what the folks are saying. Still had to offer free student tickets to the conference tournament they were hosting . . .

Now this is interesting. Alabama AD Bill Battle planned to keep men's basketball coach Anthony Grant for at least another year. Fans were outraged, and he changed his mind, firing him today. After he was fired, Alabama's men's basketball team was invited to the NIT. They'll be playing the higher-seeded Illini on Tuesday, but Illinois' home court is occupied so the game will be in Tuscaloosa. Does the Alabama fanbase turn out to support the team in the wake of Battle's decision? I'm betting this is a UAB football scenario -- 'fans' claiming to care about something they actually don't . . .

EDIT: To keep it CFBy, there's a 2016 WR named Eddie McDoom, if you're looking for early entries on the all-name team . . .

EDIT EDIT: About 2,000 folks showed up . . .

Tennessee and Pitt agree to a home-and-home in 2021 and 2022. This defines OOC scheduling to me. The games are so far from now that you could substitute any two FBS programs into the first sentence and the likelihood of the games actually being played would be about the same. It's absurd. And that's without even considering that we have absolutely zero idea of the quality of the teams that Tennessee and Pitt will be fielding six or seven years from now . . .

reminds me of the FIFA World Cup bidding

Seriously? Army can't even beat Iraq.

omg :lol::lol::lol:

I actually have a little insight into that process, since I interviewed a few SEC ADs for a BYU scheduling article last month. It's entirely possible our article helped push this a little bit, since we got one of them to go on the record saying "yeah this is dumb, we consider BYU a P5 team".

The BYU thing makes sense since one SEC team already scheduled them for a home and home, and another wanted to (I didn't talk to to the Miss State AD, but they announced a home and home right after McMurphy broke this news), and since BYU meets a P5 standard for almost any variable you want. More importantly though, with the SEC's insistence on only playing 8 conference games, ADs were complaining that they couldn't get games....or at least, not on the terms they want to play.

I don't expect anybody to schedule Army as their "P5" game, not even Vandy, but this rule at least gives them a little coverage. I expect at least one more SEC AD to announce a BYU future game by the end of the year though (probably Vandy).

I don't follow basketball at all, but I do find it interesting that all the football money means Alabama has twenty million dollars to just toss around and throw at a coach of a sport very few people in Alabama care about. Literally more money than we know what to do with . . .

EDIT: Oh, and Archie Manning is out, Bobby Johnson is in. It's hard to say anybody is a step up from Archie Manning, but Bobby Johnson always seemed like a solid guy to me . . .

It's funny that despite all of that, it doesn't look like Alabama is going to get a really big name coach, despite both the money and a charge from the SEC to improve their basketball programs. The conference now has a few very solid coaches, should be more than just Kentucky and Florida soon.

Ohio State secured another top commitment today. 3 of the top 4 RBs in the class of 2016 are going to Ohio State, which is nuts. I think this is the year somebody knocks off Alabama for the #1 class ranking. Could be OSU, USC or Florida State.

Geno Smith and Jonathan Taylor were both arrested this weekend in separate incidents. Smith was a DUI from the Tuscaloosa County Sheriff's Office, Taylor was 3rd degree domestic violence from the Tuscaloosa Police Department. Yes, that Jonathan Taylor. Yay :|

Alabama RB Tyren Jones -- already on suspension -- was dismissed after a possession arrest. That leaves Derrick Henry as the only remaining RB from that 2013 class which also featured Alvin Kamara and Altee Tenpenny . . .

Oh, and Pat Haden is boycotting the CFP meeting in Indiana, so good on him . . .

Jonathan Taylor's accuser tries to explain that it was all an April Fool's joke . . .

That bball coach from Wichita is staying there, for about $1 million/year less than Alabama offered . . .

Here was a nice little April Fools article poking a little fun at Jameis Winston:

Winston has filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court against the Tournament of Roses Committee and the College Football Playoff committee, demanding that the both committees change their official Rose Bowl Game record to reflect that either team could have won the game. As of today, April 1st, 2015, the official record reads that Oregon defeated Florida State 59-20; Oregon's 59 points were the most by a single team in Rose Bowl history, and the 39 point deficit was the largest since1948, when Michigan beat USC 49-0. Should the courts rule in favor of Winston, the records would be changed to read as follows:

101st Rose Bowl Game (Jan. 1, 2015) - Oregon 59, Florida State basically 59 also, if you're real with yourself

Link

Top Bottom