TSG106 After Actions

Well this is actually the first game i played with the tourism thingy. And that with over 600 hours in just civ5 haha (a LOT of multiplayer) I didnt figure out how the cultural/tourism thing worked until somewhere 1900 ad, then i realised i could get % bonuses. and then i discovered there was actually a tab about tourism. in the mainscreen. lol.

after that it was quick tech to the internet and then with my % bonuses in place turns to victory dropped from 650+ to 5. go figure :). a bit solo and dry this victory, not much going on, total time played was 2 hours. i think i built around 80% of all wonders this game. still i should take some practice with these game mechanics proably. nahhh, "hulk smash!"

Are you breaking some GOTM rule if you don't use all your votes to avoid diplomatic victory?

Leif already said there isnt a rule but I thought I'd expand upon it since you are new with us. For most of our games, one VC is designated but all are possible in each game. The only benefit for following the designated VC (outside of practice with strategies) is that it makes you eligible for our medals in the Results thread when the deadline has finished.

The VC is a suggestion but you didnt break any rules if you settle for a different VC while playing. Your results will still be published with the others. If rules are broken here, those submissions are excluded from the published results, which also have a game recap function that lets people click on it and see how your world map unfolds over time. But those rules are for things like cheating, not the wrong VC.

Hope that helps,
HR

Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 2033AD
Turns played: 466
Base score: 1689
Final score: 1816
Time played: 9:01:00

Hi all, my first GOTM entry. I went for the first honour to gain from the barbarians, and then full liberty expecting to expand quickly, but yeah, nowhere to go. After that Aesthetics and Freedom (hah and after filling up Freedom, Exploration, Patronage and started on Rationalism - man I had a *lot* more culture than I'm used to!).

I was wondering if I was going to run out of time, but I squeaked it in - this is one of my first times aiming for a cultural victory (it got me the Cultural/Freedom achievement). It's an interesting way of playing, I'll definitely try it again, there's a lot I need to learn obviously.

I was quite pleased I managed to go the whole game without being at war once (seems like there should be an achievement for this!), and I gained 3 cities from the Ottomans via revolts, which again is novel for me.

Thanks for your answers leif erikson and Hammer Rabbi.

I was thinking that all VCs are enabled to allow the AI to win in different ways. Now I understand the true reason. :)

Game of the Month is fun. I like the challenges offered here.

I got my Culture Victory at turn 445, in 2022. The reason it took so long was that the Germans were extremely resistant to my Roman culture.

Once I figured out I was alone on my continent, I beelined toward Astronomy.

I did max Tradition, Aesthetics and Exploration. Was able to fill up my Freedom ideology relatively quickly by digging up a couple Hidden Antiquity Sites containing ancient writings that offered around +3400 each. I was able to plunder four more Great Works when Hamburg defected from Germany in the 1960s.

I was able to build all of the major cultural Wonders, with the exception of the Globe Theater. Toward the end of the 20th century, I started a massive naval buildup to try and knock Otto von Bismarck down a peg, and gain a steadfast ally by freeing the Ottomans from German rule. This all ended up being moot, as in the 21st century, I was able to get the National Visitor Center, the CN Tower, the Sydney Opera House, and The Internet in a matter of turns. This push finally got me over the cultural hump with stubborn Germany. 9_9

Can't wait for the next GOTM.

I delayed spamming cities until I had secured enough happiness through the religion buildings and locking up my two CS. I went for physics to get Notre Dame and then beelined astronomy to get contact with rest of the map. I lucked out in that none of the civs on the Germany/Ottoman/Iroquios continent founded a religion. That allowed me to get world religion on the second WC vote.

I was able to get all the wonders I went for, except Alhambra. My Petra city cranked out Notre Dame, Pisa, Sistine and Uffizi. Rome had all the guilds and Globe Theatre. After I reformed my religion, I finished liberty, opened aesthetics, finished piety, opened exploration, then finished aesthetics. I then was able to buy three GM to flip Germany and Iroquios, the culture leaders. about five turns after that Persia flipped and I won. The Greeks had blitzed the Shoshone right before I researched printing press. I had barely met them, and they were out of the game.

In hindsight, I placed one to many cities. This tipped Persia against me with a denouncement just as our open borders was about to expire. I would have cut about 5 turns off my time if I had maintained the open borders.

The map actually helped me. With all the religions concentrated on the one continent, it made converting the other three civs to my religion very easy.

Game date: 1852AD
Turns played: 296
Base score: 1450
Final score: 2457
Time played: 3:31:00

This was my first Gotm-try. I even made an account here for this, just to see after my game that there are impressively well playing guys, who finished dat Cultural Victory way ahead of me. No hard feelings though, I just want to say, I'm impressed.

To my game: There were 3 civs with good culture to resist mine. I thought about kicking them of the map but given that Persia was at the other end of it, I went full on archeology, hotels, art financing etc... it worked but took until turn 344. Suleyman did me the favor of killing off Hiawatha, but Persia and Germany were still there and it was too much effort to prepare an army (meaning research and build) and to attack both of them.

Being alone on my continent, I went full Liberty (Great Engineer for giving Rome lots of hammers), full Aesthetics (no explanation needed) and some 2-3 points in exploration (Louvre, maritime infrastructure!) and rationalism (Secularism!). In the end I took Order as ideology but I could have taken the others as well. I did not participate in any wars and kept open boarders and a nice smile to everyone. I sent lots of Harisson Fords around the map to gather stuff for my museums. Like I said: the strategy won easily but is appearantly no match for other strategys.

One question about this Gotm-thing: I just played once with the savegame and submitted the first game. You guys there better than me, do you 'scout' the map in a first game before developing the strategy for the real one? Is this intended in this contest?

This was my first Gotm-try. I even made an account here for this, just to see after my game that there are impressively well playing guys, who finished dat Cultural Victory way ahead of me. No hard feelings though, I just want to say, I'm impressed.

One question about this Gotm-thing: I just played once with the savegame and submitted the first game. You guys there better than me, do you 'scout' the map in a first game before developing the strategy for the real one? Is this intended in this contest?

Welcome to CFC and Game of the Month! Thanks for playing and submitting.

Regarding your question, replaying is not intended. We have a sacred rule, No Replaying turns, i.e. not liking results and replaying turns for better outcomes. (If there are crashes, then have your Autosaves set to every turn. Reload to the turn that crashed and replay it as identically as you can remember.) We also have rules about reading/posting in the Opening Actions and After Actions threads before playing (also detailed in each Announcement thread). GotM is set up to test players skills on the first blind run of the game, beginning to end. (Being new, this is covered in each Announcement thread. You'll probably only need to read it once though.)

If you complete and submit but would like to play the map again then by all means play it again. You may post about it in the forums, but you may not submit those results for entry.

Hope this helps. Thanks and good luck with GotM!

HR

Game: Civ5 GOTM 106
Date submitted: 2015-03-31 11:40:36
Reference number: 32513
Your name: Beto_java
Game date: 1963AD
Turns played: 383
Base score: 1913
Final score: 2517
Time played: 8:03:00
Submitted save: Final_AC_0383 AD-1963.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Beto_java_C510601.Civ5Save

Thx for the warm welcome and the explanation, Hammer Rabbi. In the announcement I saw the rule of not replaying any turns. I just wasn't sure about that 'blind run' thing. What I didn't see was the link to the 'please read: Welcome...."-thread and given that FB just gives direct links to the announcement threat, I didn't find that one before. My question is also covered there, so... well, my bad, I could have read it:

"Cheating includes (and is not limited to):
Playing the game multiple times and submitting the best effort (or even playing to get knowledge of the map, then replaying, then starting the game again)."

My submitted game was my first run though, so that wasn't a problem. I just wanted to be sure for future games. :)

So a day or two late, but not bad considering I didn't realise this GOTM was going until around the 20th of March or so....& given it is my first ever GOTM for Civ5!!! After an absolutely appalling start, where I was battling extreme unhappiness & poverty, I was able to make great strides after discovering the other 2 continents. Managed to complete 2 whole Social Policy Trees, & made great inroads into the Ideological Tenets of Order! Finally achieved a culture victory after the other Civs wiped out the only 2 civs with whom I had less than Influential Culture ;-).

Now for the stats:

Game: Civ5 GOTM 106.
Date Submitted: 02-04-2015 11:37pm.
Game Status: Culture Victory.
Final Score: 1638.
Turns Played: 438.
Year Completed: July 2044.
Time Played: Not sure where that info is.

Attachments

• Aussie_Lurker_GOTM106_0489 AD-2044-July.Civ5Save
    1.4 MB · Views: 112
So a day or two late, but not bad considering I didn't realise this GOTM was going until around the 20th of March or so....& given it is my first ever GOTM for Civ5!!!
Welcome to Civ5 GOTM. Nice to see you here, best of luck in future.

Welcome to Civ5 GOTM. Nice to see you here, best of luck in future.

Thanks Leif. The next one will be extremely tough.....given that I never play above Prince ;-).

Aussie.

Thanks Leif. The next one will be extremely tough.....given that I never play above Prince ;-).

Aussie.
In your spare time, give TSG105 a try. :mischief:

Game: Civ5 GOTM 106
Date submitted: 2015-04-04 20:55:31
Reference number: 32536
Your name: Ozymandias9891
Game status: Time Wrong VC
Game date: 2050AD
Turns played: 500
Base score: 1788
Final score: 1788
Time played: 5:44:00
Submitted save: Augustus Caesar_0500 AD-2050-January.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Ozymandias9891_C510601.Civ5Save

So I got so entrenched in this game that I completely strayed away from the designated VC and was shocked when time was up! It was such a treat to play this game, and the most fun I had in a Civ game in a long time. Next time, though, I'll be sure to secure the victory quickly!

I've tried a couple of the GoM's but this is my first submission.

Started off relatively smoothly. Went for Honor to start with since there were a couple of barbarian camps to mine for culture. Then Tradition / Liberty / Aesthetics Got most of the wonders I went for, missed Alhambra and one other I think though.

Got most of the civilizations quite quickly. Had all sorts of problems with Persia though. They had huge culture which took ages to take down. Didn't have a trade route to them until late on which limited the tourism bonus. In retrospect, I probably should have attacked a couple of his cities to get closer and to limit his culture growth, rather than going for a vanilla approach.

I ran out of cities to place relics in, so probably could have done more there.

Also didn't use religion as efficiently as I could have either given that the neighbouring continent wasn't pursuing that angle much. I limited expansion until I got most of the main National Wonders which might not be the best approach either.

Now to try it all again!

I've tried a couple of the GoM's but this is my first submission.
Welcome to CivFanatics and GOTM. :wavey:

Glad you joined us and are playing. Best of luck in future. :thumbsup:

Reference number: 32548
Game date: 1890AD
Turns played: 315
Base score: 1428
Final score: 2266
Time played: 2:10:00

I was really hoping to get it under 300 turns, but I made a lot of mistakes. I knew I did not want to use sacred sites, which turned out well since the start was isolated. But I failed to research calendar before building GL, so I had to take Drama instead of Philosophy. That delayed national college. Then I failed to take any culture or tourism religious beliefs (should have gotten the hermitage one).

The AI was also so far behind. I should have focused on city states more, as I never had control of the world congress and could not propose international games. Then I built the musician's guild too soon and had 2 musicians with little concert output. Finally, I never even used faith to buy a musician despite having 1800+.

If I had fixed those mistakes, probably would have been less than 300 turns. It was a very interesting game though. Full of warmongers but with no serious wars! I was sad not to make use of Rome's UU, as I was already into Renaissance before I met anyone.

Thank you for this game.

Top Bottom