Vacation/Leave Thread

D'oh, sorry about that. :p

Okay. Good luck with those. ;)

Just a little heads up ... most of the week preceding the weekend of june 6 and 7 I won't be on due to SAT's.

You should do fine. Just study up and take a practice test and getting a 2100+ score is easy. ;)

Ah, okay. I'm not familiar with what SAT's are, so I got confused. (What are they, by the way? We don't have them here. What's the maximum score? What does the score mean?)

Standardized tests where you answer mostly multiple choice questions, there's one basic one that tests reading/writing/math and then extras that cover things like biology, physics, advanced math, etc.

Main test gives you up to 2400 points (800 in each subject) and colleges and scholarships use them (amoung other things) when considering you for enrollment and such. ;)

Hmm, interesting. We just go with an exam system (and a fairly crappy one, at least in high school).

So SAT's aren't exams, but separate tests partway through the year?

SAT's are standardized tests/exams (they are exams), which mean that, on the 6 designated days of the year where the tests are released (the first weekend of Sept, Oct, Mar, May, June, and maybe another month that I forget), all students taking them take the same test (maybe there's a few versions of the test, but all versions are the same difficulty). This is how colleges distinguish between someone from New York with a 3.5 GPA and someone from Arkansas with a 4.0 GPA (highest possible) since in general New York's education is of better quality and more rigorous (thus, justifying the lower GPA). GPA = Grade Point Average. If the New York student got a 2200 on his SAT I but the Arkansas student got a 1900, it's pretty clear that the New York student is brighter despite his lower GPA which may result from a harder curriculum, etc., and the Arkansas student probably goes to a very bad school where teachers just give 100s all the time for no reason.

The vast majority of high schoolers take the regular SAT (called the SAT I) in May of their junior year.

SAT II (a.k.a. SAT Subject Tests) are different in that they cover a broad range of topics. However, SAT II's are ALL 1 hour long and are COMPLETELY multiple-choice. There's no essay like there is on the SAT I. All SAT II's have a maximum score of 800 and a minimum score of 200 (I think you get 200 just for showing up). Oh, and SAT II's are also standardized and given on the same day as the regular SAT I is.

PS: Josh, what did you get on the SAT I and II's? ;) I got 710 on Bio and 750 on Chem so far.

PS: Josh, what did you get on the SAT I and II's? ;) I got 710 on Bio and 750 on Chem so far.

I got 2130 points in SAT I. 740 in writing, 730 in critical reading, held down a little by a 660 in math. ;) Still I was in the top 98% national percentile in writing/reading, so as someone homeschooled my whole life I'll take that for a standardized test. Top 99% percent of South Carolina but I suspect we're a relatively dumb state. :p

Haven't taken any SAT II's, don't need them to get into my college...

I'll be away from the 1st to the 9th of July on holiday. I'll have a laptop, and should be able to find the time to quickly log into Game Saturn each day, but I certainly won't have the time to play and write up the main MTDG turn. So someone (either Plako or Joshua I guess, since DMOC is now out) will need to be available for that time. :)

So this leaves us with you, DMOC, dux, hellhound and clamburger out on vacation, eh? What fun. :goodjob:

I would recommend pausing the intrateam saturn game but with you disappearing in a month that needs to advance as fast as it can...

Well, I can still play the Saturn game while I'm on vacation, as long as it's quick. (Read: I won't have time to play if anyone's going to declare war on me in the next few turns, since I take faaaar longer to plan my moves in wartime. Just check the Duniapetu game for evidence. Obviously this would mean I wouldn't be planning on declaring war on anyone either, at least while I'm away.)

OK. Looks like I'll probably be able to play my own turns though, as long as I'm not bogged down in wars. :)

I'll be away starting this weekend ~5 days (starting probably on Sunday 12.7). Exact time schedule is still to be determined.

My possibilities for playing are very limited during this time. In worst case scenario I can't play in any of my games. At least it seems that I don't have time for demo game or Game Saturn. Hopefully Lord Parkin, DMOC or Joshua could play the demogame turns and maybe some of my allies can help in Game Saturn. Toch could you play? Could you also backup me if nescessary in 2 other pitboss games I'm participating i.e. "Face of the Enemy" and "Ages of Provolutia"? I'll try to play in these, but it might be impossible e.g. if the mobile network doesn't work well enough in the countryside.

I have 3.19 as you know but there is one other computer in my house that has the power to run CIV and doesn't have the game installed, so I could run 3.17. The problem is that I lost the original CD version.

If it's necessary, I could go out and buy a new Civ IV original CD so I can get Civ on the other computer. Actually, I've been wanting to do that for a while anyway.

I'm leaving soon, but it seems that I might be able to play after all. If that is not the case, I'll send message here.

Top Bottom