Intra-team Pitboss Game?

Oh, the reason I don't play CIV like that is because when I do play CIV on the weekdays, I always feel the urge to play more and more turns.

I am in school right now (no job) and have a very rigorous courseload so it's vital that I keep focused.

Maybe this could be the...ah...cure? :eek:

Anyway, when will the game start?

I was actually able to connect to this game, so I think my internet works well. ;) Although I didn't see an option to play as our team...someone must already be logged on.
Yep, that'd be it. ;)

I guess I'll have to learn how to queue up things...any tips? Especially on worker movements.
Sure. For Worker queues, all that you need to do is click on a Worker, then use a combination of the "Shift" key and the "Goto" button to get them to do what you want to do.

For instance: your Worker is currently chopping a forest. After that, you want him to move to a Cow resource and build a pasture and road. You click on the Worker (still chopping the forest), press "G" (for "Goto"), hold down "Shift" and click on the Cows (tells him to finish chopping and then move there), hold down "Shift" and click on the "Pasture" button (tells him to build a pasture once he gets to the Cows), then finally click the "Road" button (tells him that his final order for now is to build the road after the pasture). The Worker will now be deselected since you didn't hold shift on the last order, but you can still give him new orders after the road building by selecting him again manually and holding "Shift" while clicking any new orders. Also, if you want to cancel any orders (they're cancelled in the opposite order that you gave them), just press the "Cancel" button a few times.

I hope that was relatively clear and easy to follow. :)

Also...if I queue up my scout's movements in anticipation of NOT playing the next day, but I do find the time, will I be able to stop the scout's movements the next day before it moves into the "queued" direction? A barbarian might be in the way (coming from in between turns).
You'll need to have a unit which doesn't have orders for that turn (eg a Warrior sitting around). Otherwise yes, the Scout would move automatically when you logged in. But it's not really a huge issue, and anyway can be solved by logging in before the next turn comes around to cancel the order.

Oh, the reason I don't play CIV like that is because when I do play CIV on the weekdays, I always feel the urge to play more and more turns.

I am in school right now (no job) and have a very rigorous courseload so it's vital that I keep focused.

Maybe this could be the...ah...cure? :eek:
I certainly know the feeling of having the urge to play more and more turns when you're supposed to be doing schoolwork - I've had to battle with it the past few years while at university. ;) But for these kind of games, at least for the first 100 or so turns, all you need is a spare 5 minutes during each day. (After that, maybe 10 minutes a day for the next 100 turns, and so on.)

Personally, I actually find these games to be an excellent way of getting my dose of CIV without letting my studies fall behind. That's because you're restricted by the pitboss to only playing one turn per day. You can't play "just one more turn", because the game won't let you. So you can actually play the game for 5 minutes, then get off. It's brilliant. :)

Anyway, when will the game start?
I'll chat to my friend next time he's around, and see what we can arrange. All going well, I think we should be able to start in a few days. :)

We should start discussing map settings and the like at this point. We'll have 9 players (assuming my friend wants to join our forum to play in the game), so my line of thinking is that we'll want either a standard map with low sea level, a large map with medium sea level, or a huge map with high sea level. As for the map type, Big_and_Small (with "Normal" or "Snaky" continents) tends to yield very good results for multiplayer maps in my experience.

What about game options? I prefer to play with Vassal States off, but that's my only preference. Everything else I'm happy leaving to the defaults. :)

Okay, my friend Elucidus seems happy to host (and play in) our game. He's just signed up to join us, so he should be here shortly. :)

Nice to hear this!

Seeing as we have nine players, I would propose this:

Map: Pangea (so that we all have some contact with each other). Big and Small would also be a nice option.

Speed: Normal (well, that's obvious)

Size: Large

Sea level: Medium

Shoreline: Natural (for some islands outside of the pangea to add flavor)

Difficulty: Monarch (so that there are some barbarians but not too much nor too less)

Additional options: No huts, No random events

Nice to hear this!

Seeing as we have nine players, I would propose this:

Map: Pangea (so that we all have some contact with each other). Big and Small would also be a nice option.
I'm not a big fan of Pangaea. We'd be better off going with the Big_and_Small "massive continent" setting, since at least it's more varied and interesting (IMHO).

Anyway, contact with everyone isn't necessary for an interesting pitboss game - just as long as people have contact with at least a couple of others initially. Actually, it's quite fun having multiple continents, since then you get somewhere to explore and new people to talk to in the later game. :)

Speed: Normal (well, that's obvious)

Size: Large

Sea level: Medium
Agreed.

Shoreline: Natural (for some islands outside of the pangea to add flavor)
This won't be relevant if we don't have Pangaea. Big_and_Small tends to produce much more natural islands - check it out in WorldBuilder and see for yourself. :)

Difficulty: Monarch (so that there are some barbarians but not too much nor too less)
Bear in mind that the main effect of the difficulty level in multiplayer is in research costs. Monarch seems like a good level to play at, though. I'm assuming that we'll be playing with tech trading on (if it was off then Noble would be more appropriate). :)

Additional options: No huts, No random events
Given that this is supposed to be a fun game (as opposed to a brutally competitive game), I'd prefer to leave huts and events on for flavour. Sure, they can be a little unbalanced at times, but they make the game that little bit more exciting. ;)

Ack! Sorry for posting in a row again, I also would like vassal states off. If they're on, someone could just voluntarily vassalize to someone else and cause problems.
Every player I know would never do this, though - because it sucks to be a vassal. :p

But anyway, it won't be a problem without vassal states.

The only problem with this game is that I'll feel bad if I declare war on a fellow "teammate."
Heh, yeah. But Civ isn't Civ without at least the occasional war. I think everyone understands that. ;)

The only problem with this game is that I'll feel bad if I declare war on a fellow "teammate."

Yeah I agree, we don't want to fight. Let's be best friends instead. :)

Spoiler :
:backstab:

Also if there are 9 players, instead of a large map, how about a medium map with low sea level? It's like the same idea but with less ocean, help with early access. I'm fine with Big and Small.

Yeah I agree, we don't want to fight. Let's be best friends instead. :)

Spoiler :
:backstab:
:lol:

Also if there are 9 players, instead of a large map, how about a medium map with low sea level? It's like the same idea but with less ocean, help with early access. I'm fine with Big and Small.
I quite like having more sea, though. Keeps things from being too claustrophobic.

Also, it's better to have more land rather than less in these sort of games, since you tend to run out surprisingly quickly otherwise. It removes some of the need for early rushes, which frequently happen when civs are cramped too close together. And if I recall correctly, large with medium sea has more land than standard with low sea.

Big and small is fine. I like normal sized maps, but large is also ok. Standard options, except vassal states should be off.

As I have said before i'm very low in terms of skill level, and plan to be very open with where I am and what i'm doing etc. for advice to help me improve. Also I would like to be able to know I am not going to be killed in the first 100 turns. Otherwise all these settings are fine.

As I have said before i'm very low in terms of skill level, and plan to be very open with where I am and what i'm doing etc. for advice to help me improve. Also I would like to be able to know I am not going to be killed in the first 100 turns. Otherwise all these settings are fine.
Perhaps we could all agree on a game rule: no declarations of war before, say, 1 AD (turn 115 at Normal speed)?

I'd agree with no war before a certain time period. I think that instead of 1 AD it should be 375 BC
(100 turns).

Anything after that should be fair game, because you've had 100 turns to prepare.

I have changed my mind and decide that a Big_and_Small map would work best anyway. I'm also for allowing random events and huts. I still think we should use a Large map with medium sea level and have vassals off.

Are we ready to start signing up and choosing civs?

What no risk of a pre-catapult war? :confused: Oh well whatever everyone wants.

With picking leaders maybe we should limit the financial trait to lower-level players as a handicap. :mischief:

So I assume that picking Julius Caesar should be limited to me? :mischief:

Nah, I don't think I'll pick him. If we plan on not declaring war until 1AD, then I'll probably be better off with another leader. Of course, I may get too great an urge to play as him....

EDIT: I changed my mind and decided that I'd like to avoid declaring war until 375 BC (turn 100). To me, it just seems that the 1 AD rule limits too many early game opportunities and removes some of the suspense. It also means that we have some pre-game knowledge that we don't need ANY military at all before that time.

Also, I don't claim to be the best multiplayer person because I never play multiplayer. I'd like to have some "suspense" of not knowing when a human is about to declare war.

I'll be honest in that if there's anyone I'd declare war on pre-1AD it'd be one of the expert players so newer players won't have much to worry about me.

Lastly, I hope we can get some more players!

ok on leader selection, I normally choose to play as luis due to the Ind/ Cre. However I know wonders will be far harder to get in multiolayer, especially as everyone else is better than me so would it be advisable to play as someone such as willem?

I'd recommend playing leaders that have traits of: Financial, Creative, and Philosophical. Those seem to be the best traits for MP assuming that it's not going to be a war-fest (otherwise Aggressive would be there). Willem is a good choice.

I'll probably make my pick someday later or, possibly, tomorrow.

I generated some Big and Small maps today and they look good! It was so tempting to play out that 5-gold + floodplains start I got as Charlemagne but I just wanted to see what the maps looked like.

I like these settings:

Normal Continents
Islands enabled (regular size, not tiny)
Island regions mixed in (this is to prevent isolated starts -- with this setting it seems that 1 or 2 civs out of 9 will start on a different landmass but that civ can connect to the civs on the mainland due to galley access).

Overall, I like the Big_and_Small map! With 9 players, there's tons of room to expand, so this could be a good game! There's also MANY smaller islands available after Astronomy. I only hope that none of us get an isolated start like Joao did (but this was done with the setting "Island regions separate"):

Lol what a horsehockyy start :) poor jao :)i would like to see how would AI use this start.

Top Bottom