WW2-Global

Bob1475,

"Germany Emperor v2.1
1940 Report

Week 1 - We opened 1940 with taking Milan from the French. We will take the rest of French controlled Italy in the next few weeks

Week 3 - War begins with Soviet Russia (earlier than we wanted but we must stop the Russians from building up large forces) By the way, I now notice that Sweden took a city from the Finns in our 1939 war. For now we will use Luftwaffe in defensive mode until we finish off the French or at least until we see victory in sight
Russians attack with their measly airforce and bring on tanks which we eliminate.

Verdun and Rimini are taken as we make progress on both fronts."
Bob1475

France-AI seems to use this strategy(attack Italy) all the time.

"16 - Marseilles falls and we have French on the run!
17 - Lyon
18 - Toulouse
19- Bordeaux
21 - Lille
22 - Paris
Throught all this British kept pressure on Amsterdam. Eventually we bring forces in to take out the Carriers and a number of their BBs. Now the Americans have shown up!

24 - Brest - And the French are off the continent!"
Bob1475

It follows the historical timeline well!

"29 - We use our spy to incite a war with the Russians.
30 Vilnius, Riga(via preplace transports holding 14 Panzers) and Brest-Litvosk all fall as our massive Panzer forces overwhelm the Russians. Our plan is to hold a Right flank anchored on the Bucharest/Iasiand eventually Kishinev/Lwow/Lutsk corner. We want to avoid the defensive citadels of Odessa and Kiev until we have rockets. Meanwhile we will attack from Riga to Tallinin and eventually Leningrad. Possibly some attacks in the center but our entire focus will be on eventually sweeping from left to right across the plains of Russia. At least that is the plan!"
Bob1475

It sounds like a good plan.

"It appears Russians have redeployed also as we are facing massive stacks of T-34s on our Right Flank. We use bombers to weaken and Panzers to kill but they are replenished each turn. This bloodbath continues for weeks as we continue to build towards a push on Leningrad (Bismarcks are shelling each turn)"
Bob1475

An effective combination!

"47 - Americans/Soviets peace
48 - With continuous pressure on our Right and Soviet defensive action near Leningrad we adjust and put pressure on the center. We take Minsk!
50 - Vitebsk is taken. Despie interior lines of defense the Russians seem unable to handle multiple thrusts.
51 - Gomel and the real prize - Leningrad falls!"
Bob1475

I think you have a good start for the campaign in the East.

"Americans have been in and out and now back in Hiroshima. Japan holds Hanoi and other cities up to that point although HongKong is gone. Chinese hold Chungking and Chengdu and cities to the north, only three Communist Chinese cities remain.

Japan has the Phillipines but both cities at pop 1 which I presume means heavy shelling. Japan also holds Singapore!

Japan high point was reached about week 40 1940 and they have been stalled since then"
Bob1475

I doubt Japan will be able to move further from these positions.

Thank you for the report and welcome back.

Rocoteh

AlCosta15,

"Turn 19-21 Game Report
First, interesting thing the French did. They had elite French Infantry, only one of theirs I've seen so far. Anyways, I red-lined him near Venice, so he retreats to Bologna and they kill him for the shields.
An airfield was built between Toulose and Bordeaux to help with the campaign against France and the future one against Spain. Then German Panzers finished off Toulose and captured it. Then we started an assault on France's capital city, Mersilles. Also, U.S. Battleships, 2 of them, appear outside Brest and bombard it, then flee. I had no navy within 2 turns of Brest."
AlCosta15

I am still thinking of a way to prevent French-AI from
making this attack on Italy.

"Finally, German Panzers and Infantry capture Mersilles after a three-week battle. Many Germans credit the victory with the decision to build an airfield so the German bombers could soften up the targets"
AlCosta15

I think the crucial impact of airpower in WW2 is well reflected
in this scenario.

"In the future, My plan is to rest up very badly injured Panzers in Mersilles, and send a small task force to take Torino. Once it is taken, France will be cut in two, Eastern France and French Italy. I will then proceed to try and finish off Eastern France and then help my Italian allies. I will not return their cities to them seeing that they had a hard time defending them in the first place. BTW, I signed a ROP with Yugoslavia and built a road and now German units are more easily getting to Italy. After finishing off France, I will go for Spain, Portugal, and Gibraltar. Then, I will turn east heading towards Yugoslavia and Greece. I am trying to not have a war with Russia at all costs."
AlCosta15

It sounds interesting. Looking forward to hear how this turns out.

Thank you and welcome back.

Rocoteh

Hornblower said:
2.1 Germans Deity
I was disappointed to find that the French have raised Rome in week 3 of 1940. The turn before it was a large italian held city. A swarm of Somuas reduced it to nothing! This is the only evidence of major city raising. The Japanese no longer seem to do it in the east.
The Greeks did raise Tirana but I am not particularly worried about a small non important city like that one. Rome is a concern though. The Pope would be a little annoyed too.

Hornblower,

Agree. Its very bad news!

Tirana was not protected, but Rome was.
It must be a case of so called auto-razing.

There is no known way to stop it.

The only thing we can hope for with regard to this is a new patch
from Firaxis.
I guess the chance is less than 1%....

Rocoteh

Hello Rocoteh:

Have managed to pound out a bunch of turns between building the editor.
BTW, hope to send you a couple others a couple screen shots tomorrow for critiquing/comments. It is still miles from being done, but I am feeling better about the progress.

Sorry about the length of this post. It just got out of hand.
the real key stuff I am trying to say is the bottom third.

Anyway, I hit turn 100 today, and things are moving along really well.
The Japanese advance into India has bogged down once they captured Hyderabad. My Kate's can't reach Bombay and Maderas, so it is tough sloggging capturing those two cities with infantry and armour.
But Britian only has those two plus Colombo and Madurai left in India.

The Russians attacked Finland in something like turn 95, which dragged me into a battle with them. (first hostilities with Russia in the game)
Fortunately, the AI moved the bulk of the vast armour they had to the western front to defend against Germany.
I have taken 3 Russian cities, including Vladivostock.

I temporarily lost an island city to the Russians because I was too cocky and they landed a transport with 6 light armour in it, against my one infantry and 1 militia.
Lesson learned: Always have at least 4 infantry in any city that has no bomber support.

Peace was redeclared in something like turn 102.

There have been plenty of amphibious action, as far as I can tell.
Not sure when it happened, but Germany captured Dublin (as they did in 1.8), but this time they lost it to the U.S.
Same thing has happened in the English city of Cardiff. It is in U.S. hands now.

I don't know how many other times cities have changed hands, but Germany holds the North African city of Algiers, while the U.S has taken Cagliari and Corsica and from either the Germans or Italians.
Germany has hammered Greece, and only Crete is still Greek.

Germany wiped put Spain relatively early in the game, (about turn 50), and Portugal is also gone from mainland Europe.

Now, auto-razing: Still a little bit going on, but nowhere the scale I saw in 1.8.
Notably, Lisbon was razed by the Germans, and Germany also razed a northern city in Scotland.

I also noted that a number of Indian cities, mostly in the north east, don't have any wonders in them to protect them from razing. I would have a look at Delhi, and all Indian cities within 2 cities of it.

Good things:

1. Autoproducing SNLF's definitely slows down the Japanese advances. I think 1 every 10 turns is an excellent number for a human player, but probably a little light if the AI is playing the position.
Maybe try 1/8 turns in 2.2?
2. Autoproducing paratroopers was a nice surprise, but I have not really used them yet with the strategy I am playing. (Go after China, India, then Dutch East Indies, then Britian, finally U.S. mainland)
I have captured two Dutch East Indies cities, but without an airport in the captured city, the advantage of the paratooper is lost.
3. After the first tech taking 40 turns, the rest have settled in at around an average of 15 turns with a economic rate I can support.

Now, other stuff referring to the title of the post, I am starting to have a real quandry.

Frankly, I don't see the AI being any real difficulty to beat , outside of the nightmare that will the the U.S. mainland, and maybe Australia, because I am taking advantage of the build queues and building huge amount of Yamato's and Shokaku's, and filling the Shokaku's with a ton of Kate's, then bombing the enemy into dust, or simply bombing everything to dust with Kate's in mainland warfare.

Considering the Japanese had only two Yamato's and three Shokaku's in reality, I am starting to wonder if it would make sense to limit their building, or at least only allow them to be auto-produced.

This is where I get into the history vs gameplay issue.
I don't want to completely recreate history, but having Tokyo capable of pumping out a Shokaku every 4 turns or a Yamato every 7 turns is too much.

Now, because the AI will pump out many, many Iowa's and King George's, I don't have too many qulams about this, but I am laying this out for discussion.

To limit the creation of capital ships and also heavy elite tanks, to more historically accurate numbers, for all civ's do any or a combination of the following:

1. Set up house rules where the human has to limit himslf to something close to historically accurate numbers when it comes at least capital units at least.
This is a problem because the AI will not abide by that limit, and the U.S. could suddenly have 4 Iowa's against 15 Bismarck class.

2. Autoproduce all capital units, maintaining ratios across the game that reflect what was produced in reality (U.S. would produce their Iowa at twice the rate the Bismarck, Yamato are produced.

3. Really cut down the shield production of all cities to make it slower to produce units. (Case in point, In week 34, 1941 Japan has 1048 units.
This includes 14 Shokaku's, 14 Yamato's, 250 divisions of infantry, 181 divisions of type 97 medium tanks, 131 squandrons of Kate's, 138 squadron's of Nate's, and 36 squadron's of Zero's.) I think these number are way, way out of whack with history, but not out of whack with the other major powers.

This could be done by tweaking the terrain shield values, and really increasing the costs of factories and manufacturing plants, but can cause imbalances with various civ's if not done carefully.

4. Have all capital units prebuilt, but they can be setup to be "unlocked" only when certain tech's are researched. This would allow the Iowa's and some of the big U.S. carriers to show up when they should historically.
El Justo did this beautifully with his TCW scenario.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Game has been very fun, but way too addicting.
I have a ton of other civ stuff I supposed to be doing, but keep putting it off for this game.

im curious, having read some crazy things about this scenario ( 1048 units for ONE civ) just how long does each turn take, and with what spped of comp?
I havent played this yet, but just downloaded it. It looks to be a very good mod, otherwise there wouldnt be such interesting stories and feedback.
Thanks much folks.

Cheezy the Wiz said:
im curious, having read some crazy things about this scenario ( 1048 units for ONE civ) just how long does each turn take, and with what spped of comp?
I havent played this yet, but just downloaded it. It looks to be a very good mod, otherwise there wouldnt be such interesting stories and feedback.
Thanks much folks.

Game turns are exceptionally fast, considering.
I am running on a 1.8 Ghz IBM T42 laptop, with 1 Gig mem.
I would say my wait times run 2-5 minutes.
But that included me seeing a number of AI moves.
I don't have Cap Lock on, so all AI moves I can see occur in normal speed, instead of extra fast.
In reality, there is approx 2-3 minutes/turn that I don't have to pay attention to the screen.

I_batman

"Have managed to pound out a bunch of turns between building the editor.
BTW, hope to send you a couple others a couple screen shots tomorrow for critiquing/comments. It is still miles from being done, but I am feeling better about the progress."
I_batman

Sounds very interesting. I am looking forward to see the screenshots
although I more and more doubt I will continue with scenario-creation in
the future.

"The Russians attacked Finland in something like turn 95, which dragged me into a battle with them. (first hostilities with Russia in the game)
Fortunately, the AI moved the bulk of the vast armour they had to the western front to defend against Germany.
I have taken 3 Russian cities, including Vladivostock."
I_batman

That is not unrealistic.

"I temporarily lost an island city to the Russians because I was too cocky and they landed a transport with 6 light armour in it, against my one infantry and 1 militia.
Lesson learned: Always have at least 4 infantry in any city that has no bomber support"
I_batman

A good rule!

"There have been plenty of amphibious action, as far as I can tell.
Not sure when it happened, but Germany captured Dublin (as they did in 1.8), but this time they lost it to the U.S."
I_batman

For some reason AI seems to think its a good idea.

"Now, auto-razing: Still a little bit going on, but nowhere the scale I saw in 1.8.
Notably, Lisbon was razed by the Germans, and Germany also razed a northern city in Scotland."
I_batman

These cities are not protected. I can not protect all cities, since there
are a limit for how many wonders that can be placed.
I have reached that limit.

"I also noted that a number of Indian cities, mostly in the north east, don't have any wonders in them to protect them from razing. I would have a look at Delhi, and all Indian cities within 2 cities of it."
I_batman

These cities in British India are protected by wonders:
Calcutta, Cherrapunji, Dacca, Dehli, Hyderabad, Mandalay, Rangoon.

Katmandu should have a wonder but has not due to a bug.

If it was possible I would have protected all cities in British India,
but the result then will be that other areas will be unprotected.

In respons to your general critique of the scenario:

Building a scenario like WW2-Global without the correct tools
are not easy....... You can not even stop razing of cities 100%!

I see your point with going to a system where auto-production
is much more important.
However it takes much away from the player of the scenario.
Many of decisions he now must take will with the system you
propose be build in the game.

I am not so concerned as you are by the fact its possible to build much
more ships and units than it was in reality.
However its a problem that AI will spend its naval forces without
any thought. Its also a big problem it can not use artillery and airpower in a relevant way.

Thus: Reduced production capacity:

Should be considered.

Auto-production much more important:

I have no such plans.

I also want to say this now when the day to retire is not
so far away:

I built a WW2-Global scenario!
During 40 years I saw people just talking and talking about
making such a game or scenario but nothing much occured.

I am really glad I did that even if the quality of the scenario
always will be limited by what the game-engine allows.

One should have in mind that its a game-engine that have been without
support for 1½ year now!

Rocoteh

Rocoteh said:
I_batman

"Have managed to pound out a bunch of turns between building the editor.
BTW, hope to send you a couple others a couple screen shots tomorrow for critiquing/comments. It is still miles from being done, but I am feeling better about the progress."
I_batman

Sounds very interesting. I am looking forward to see the screenshots
although I more and more doubt I will continue with scenario-creation in
the future.

In respons to your general critique of the scenario:

Building a scenario like WW2-Global without the correct tools
are not easy....... You can not even stop razing of cities 100%!

I see your point with going to a system where auto-production
is much more important.
However it takes much away from the player of the scenario.
Many of decisions he now must take will with the system you
propose be build in the game.

I am not so concerned as you are by the fact its possible to build much
more ships and units than it was in reality.
However its a problem that AI will spend its naval forces without
any thought. Its also a big problem it can not use artillery and airpower in a relevant way.

Thus: Reduced production capacity:

Should be considered.

Auto-production much more important:

I have no such plans.

I also want to say this now when the day to retire is not
so far away:

I built a WW2-Global scenario!
During 40 years I saw people just talking and talking about
making such a game or scenario but nothing much occured.

I am really glad I did that even if the quality of the scenario
always will be limited by what the game-engine allows.

One should have in mind that its a game-engine that have been without
support for 1½ year now!

Rocoteh

I am thinking that I won't get the screenshots off today after all.
I had a major setback last night when I realized a good chunk of my code is incompatible with another big chunk of code.
Two of my online sources/tutorials I realized are using different versions of WxPython, and they are not as compatible as adverstised.

Rocoteh, I understand your frustration with the game engine and the major limitations with the editor.
I have fooled with the editor enough when helping El Justo with TCW 1.5 and beyond to know exactly what you are saying.

As for the issues with capital units, yes, in retrospect, it would be exceeding difficult to get such a thing right when playing against a dumb AI, and would indeed limit the human element.

BTW, I seldom, if ever, build artillery for the very reason that the AI does not use it properly.
In fact, I have never built any artillery in WWII-Global, just to even things up with the AI.

As for you quitting the game building business, please hold off that thought for a bit.
At least wait for the general forum feedback on the capabilities of the SDK once/if it is released.

I am still betting that someone far more talented than I will come up with an editor that will allow virtually anything, if Firaxis does deliver an SDK that is close to the hype and marketing. I will continue to plug away at mine, but there will eventually be a good editor out there.

I am guessing that sometime in summer mine might be ready for actual consumption, which would give you a nice long break from scenario building, and then you can start over in Civ IV.

And as for the Civ III game engine unsupported, I am still kicking around finding how what it would take to get the Civ II code released from whomever owns it. I am sure Civ III code will be locked away for a few years at least, but who knows with Civ II.

Rocoteh, I would be very sad to see your creativity be lost.
Your scenarios have given me many hours of fun, and I am anxious to see what you can do when with the cIv IV engine, given a good editor.

Have played up to week 7,1940. Yugoslavia was overrun with German help, with Germany taking Belgrade and Italy getting the two smaller cities. Poland and Denmark fell fairly quickly, and by week 4, 1940 Germany had taken all of mainland France. Italy was fairly useless vs the French but I dissuaded the French from attacking the border. Remember, Rocoteh, I edited this pretty heavily back to 1.8 or whatever version I last played Italy as: Veteran Infantry at the start, except in East Africa, and Special Forts in the Alps and Libyan ports. I had 4 Vet. Inf. and 2 Special forts per square, and after the intial turn or two, saw only a couple of individual attacks. I slowly lowered the number of defenders as France got beaten down by Germany because I needed the troops elsewhere.

Currently I have a ROP with Spain, and am waiting for the Germans to slog through Spain with their panzers to finish off Gibralter. I've taken Tunis and Algiers via amphibious invasion and tons of sea/air support,but the British have started bombing Algiers from Gibralter with their foul Skuas, I really hate those things.:mad: I have plans for Greece, and the rest of Morocco, but it will have to wait until after Gibralter dies. If they start basing off Malta that's going to have to go too.

Naval war in the Med has been absolutely ferocious; I don't have numbers but they would be gruesome. After the initial Fleets died, the Eastern Med has not seen any action(think they are all wiped out), but after a slight pause it's been a never ending parade of warships coming through the Gibralter narrows. Another reason I want it gone. Virtually every bombard capable ship I have is operating off Algiers pounding Gibralter and every thing they send through. Other then American CA and BB, I've seen just about the whole allied navy.:p Or so it seems...

Two small issues. Bordeaux and Toulouse both razed, I don't think Toulouse is worth worrying about, but Bordeaux is worth protecting with a wonder if it didn't have one. More so then other cities, as it is certain to fall at some point, and not having a city there leaves a gaping hole in the German coastal defenses. Though I am thinking of running over there with a worker and getting an Oil colony going.:mischief:

Second is I don't seem to be able to build Italian Motorized Infantry. I had a pair to start, but they don't show up in the build queue. They don't show any resource listed so why can't I build them???

Rest of the world is quiet, with the British launching small attacks in Libya and East Africa. East Africa seems mostly to be a backwater this time around. Japan is performing more or less as others have reported. Only differences I see is Japan had Canton early(did they start with that??), and took the Chinese coastal cites but lost Truk to the UK. Phillipines and that city on Borneo also taken, which is a good sign I think.

I've been building up my production/economy in Europe, with mostly defenses in Africa. Some cities producing units but Italy is weak outside of naval units. The Swiss borders expanded and took away food from Torino, which is irritating. I can't declare war on them so Germany will wupe them out for me until my treaties run out, 12 turns from now!:(

We'll see how this all plays out, I see the British have 6 King George V class now, to go with 6 regular BB. I had them down to 4 BB at one point, Ouch! That production may be the death of me yet.

Micha said:
Wow, great scenario!

Problems pre-play:
- missing "Marine.ini" file, although civ3/art/units has it. solution: copy the file into civ3/conquests/scenarios/ww2global/art/units (ack!)
- missing entire civilopedia except for vanilla civ3 entries. solution: not found yet

Obviously I have done something wrong, but could you guys please help me with that? I have extracted both files into the civ3/conquests/scenarios folder and the editor shows everything well. I can even start a game now, after I had copied the marine file over. But having no civilopedia and the Hamburg submarine yard labelled "SAM battery" really kills off the fun :(

Anyone, please? :(

Micha said:
Wow, great scenario!

Problems pre-play:
- missing "Marine.ini" file, although civ3/art/units has it. solution: copy the file into civ3/conquests/scenarios/ww2global/art/units (ack!)
- missing entire civilopedia except for vanilla civ3 entries. solution: not found yet

Obviously I have done something wrong, but could you guys please help me with that? I have extracted both files into the civ3/conquests/scenarios folder and the editor shows everything well. I can even start a game now, after I had copied the marine file over. But having no civilopedia and the Hamburg submarine yard labelled "SAM battery" really kills off the fun :(

Micha,

On missing "Marine.ini" file:

I can not explain that error. It have never been reported earlier.

On the civilopedia:

There aro no comments on the units in the scenario for one
important reason: Time!
If you are very disturbed by that you should choose another scenario.

Otherwise you can download an heavily improved civilopedia
by saulosi. Here you will find comments on most German and US units.

Link to download:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=3103422#post3103422

Rocoteh

I_batman,

"I am thinking that I won't get the screenshots off today after all.
I had a major setback last night when I realized a good chunk of my code is incompatible with another big chunk of code.
Two of my online sources/tutorials I realized are using different versions of WxPython, and they are not as compatible as adverstised"
I_batman

You are really doing a great work with this.
To me it sounds very frustrating!

"BTW, I seldom, if ever, build artillery for the very reason that the AI does not use it properly.
In fact, I have never built any artillery in WWII-Global, just to even things up with the AI."
I_batman

I think a final patch is all we can hope for...

"As for you quitting the game building business, please hold off that thought for a bit.
At least wait for the general forum feedback on the capabilities of the SDK once/if it is released."
I_batman

I will not make any more scenarios for CIV III.
(Maybe one more update of WW2-Global, but that is uncertain)
With regard to CIV IV I will wait with my decision.

"I am still betting that someone far more talented than I will come up with an editor that will allow virtually anything, if Firaxis does deliver an SDK that is close to the hype and marketing. I will continue to plug away at mine, but there will eventually be a good editor out there.

I am guessing that sometime in summer mine might be ready for actual consumption, which would give you a nice long break from scenario building, and then you can start over in Civ IV."
I_batman

I will decide later. Right now I am out of motivation.
Its not strange. Most of the people who started with scenario-creation
when I did have quitted a long time ago.

"And as for the Civ III game engine unsupported, I am still kicking around finding how what it would take to get the Civ II code released from whomever owns it. I am sure Civ III code will be locked away for a few years at least, but who knows with Civ II."
I_batman

One can always hope it will be released one day in the future.

"Rocoteh, I would be very sad to see your creativity be lost.
Your scenarios have given me many hours of fun, and I am anxious to see what you can do when with the cIv IV engine, given a good editor."
I_batman

Thank you.
No doubt the system used in CIV IV can be evolved further.
I will probably be around for some more time to see how things evolves.

Rocoteh

Sasebo

"Have played up to week 7,1940. Yugoslavia was overrun with German help, with Germany taking Belgrade and Italy getting the two smaller cities. Poland and Denmark fell fairly quickly, and by week 4, 1940 Germany had taken all of mainland France. Italy was fairly useless vs the French but I dissuaded the French from attacking the border. Remember, Rocoteh, I edited this pretty heavily back to 1.8 or whatever version I last played Italy as: Veteran Infantry at the start, except in East Africa, and Special Forts in the Alps and Libyan ports. I had 4 Vet. Inf. and 2 Special forts per square, and after the intial turn or two, saw only a couple of individual attacks. I slowly lowered the number of defenders as France got beaten down by Germany because I needed the troops elsewhere."
Sasebo

I am very surprised that Germany AI did so well against France.

"Two small issues. Bordeaux and Toulouse both razed, I don't think Toulouse is worth worrying about, but Bordeaux is worth protecting with a wonder if it didn't have one. More so then other cities, as it is certain to fall at some point, and not having a city there leaves a gaping hole in the German coastal defenses. Though I am thinking of running over there with a worker and getting an Oil colony going."
Sasebo

This is very bad news, since both these cities are protected by wonders.
It must have been so called auto-razing. There is no way to protect
a city against that.

"Second is I don't seem to be able to build Italian Motorized Infantry. I had a pair to start, but they don't show up in the build queue. They don't show any resource listed so why can't I build them???"
Sasebo

Its due to a bug that will be corrected.
Thank you for reporting it.

"Japan is performing more or less as others have reported. Only differences I see is Japan had Canton early(did they start with that??), and took the Chinese coastal cites but lost Truk to the UK. Phillipines and that city on Borneo also taken, which is a good sign I think"
Sasebo

It seems like Japan will move toward a stalemate rather fast in
most playtests reported.

Thank you for your report and welcome back.

Rocoteh

If that was auto razing I don't understand it. I had troops over there sort of scouting things out to see if I might snipe one of those cities and there were no French troops around that I could see. Just one of those things I guess. Germany did plow into the low countries and there was a bit of back and forth around Namur for a bit, and I think my fortifying the border caused the French to launch a lot of attacks into Germany; I saw some German counterattacks north of Switzerland along the border. I think the longer area to defend between the Maginot line and the sea is harder for the French to defend. That, and even though I don't have a spy in Germany yet, I saw at least 40 or so Panzer IIIe by the time they cleared Marseilles. That's a lot of tanks.:rolleyes:

I did get a spy into Japan, and their navy is hurt pretty badly, I don't think the naval war went too well for them. I bet the larger spaces between cities is causing them difficulties. Without a lot of SNLF I don't think the AI can do very well, which is probably more accurate though.

2.1 Germans Demigod

I have to admit I am once again playing as the Germans. Can't help it, they are just fun. But a playtest as Britain will be next, I promise :crazyeye:

Anyway, bad news: Week 35, 1940: Hongkong was razed!

Obviously by the Japanese. By this time, they have also finished communist China. Manila has changed hands and currently it is British!

Good news: No other city razing so far!

Further developments as usual: No Italian cities lost to the French, since I had reinforced the Italian positions in the Alps in the editor. During our war with Spain Italy has managed to actually conquer Barcelona (Kudos!), and last turn they came within a hair of conquering Russian Brest-Litowsk... To be honest, I let them, since I want to preserve Russia intact for a while.

The Russian war, which I want to avoid as long as possible, was started by a submarine incident, which I was able to observe by Recon: Stupid Russian AI let their Battleship Marat run into a Finnish sub. Gonna make peace soon, to let the Russians catch up in technology. Not that they need any catching up in numbers, though, their force of older units is huge as usual.

Great scenario, once again!

circumpolar

Sasebo,

"Germany did plow into the low countries and there was a bit of back and forth around Namur for a bit, and I think my fortifying the border caused the French to launch a lot of attacks into Germany; I saw some German counterattacks north of Switzerland along the border. I think the longer area to defend between the Maginot line and the sea is harder for the French to defend."
Sasebo

I will add an Italian fortress-line at the border in version 2.2.
Hopefully that will make France-AI to focus on Germany instead.

"I did get a spy into Japan, and their navy is hurt pretty badly, I don't think the naval war went too well for them. I bet the larger spaces between cities is causing them difficulties. Without a lot of SNLF I don't think the AI can do very well, which is probably more accurate though."
Sasebo

Yes, the the current balance seems to be good.

Rocoteh

circumpolar,

"Anyway, bad news: Week 35, 1940: Hongkong was razed!"
circumpolar

The good news though is that due to the limit on how many wonders that can be placed HongKong is not protected.
However all Chinese and Communist-China cities are protected.

"Good news: No other city razing so far!"
circumpolar

That is very positive.

"The Russian war, which I want to avoid as long as possible, was started by a submarine incident, which I was able to observe by Recon: Stupid Russian AI let their Battleship Marat run into a Finnish sub. Gonna make peace soon, to let the Russians catch up in technology. Not that they need any catching up in numbers, though, their force of older units is huge as usual.

Great scenario, once again!"
circumpolar

Thank you.

Its incredible how AI spend its naval forces in CIV III!
In CIV IV AI use them somewhat better but I had hoped for more
improvement.

Rocoteh

2.1, Germany, Demigod
Week 3, 1941

Another city just got razed by the Japanese, about week 45, 1940: Su-Chou of Communist China. Since it has a wonder I guess it must have been an auto-razing?

Hongkong has been razed earlier, as reported. Otherwise no razing so far.

Otherwise the game is still going along nicely:

- Times for loading and inbetween turns are rather quick: only about 4 minutes on my medium range notebook.

- By week 3, 1941, the Japanese have just conquered Kathmandu in Nepal from the British. They have got Singapore as well, Kuala Lumpur however remains in British hands. Manila is British (!). Communist China has been eliminated about this time. Nationalist China is still holding on to a few cities.

- The Germans, myself, have conquered all of continental Europe except Italy, Tirana, and Barcelona, which is in Italian hands. Italy actually managed to conquer Brest-Litowsk for one turn, before being routed by Russian tank divisions. And Italy still has Addis-Abeba and Mogadishu in Eastern Africa. On the Russian front, I have made peace after taking away just a few border cities, in order to let the Russians catch up on technology. I have conquered Turkey as well, and I am currently contemplating my next move, probably the Middle East.

- Fighting for an extended empire all in all is much tougher, expecially on the Russian front, without many railroads to move about stacks of artillery (I do have a few rail links by now). Good thing, though.

- Scientific progress is slow, but bearable. The Russians seem not to have made any progress so far. The British appear to be the fastest. They have a couple of Lancasters by now, and their bombing campaign is annoying, even though they rarely do any actual damage. However I have to have every major German city protected by fighters.

Keep up the good work!

circumpolar

Please help~~~ I cannot download the "huge" download... (the 134-mb!) WW2-Global folder......

PS coooooooooooooool game~ SUPPORT~! >.<" XD

circumpolar,

"Another city just got razed by the Japanese, about week 45, 1940: Su-Chou of Communist China. Since it has a wonder I guess it must have been an auto-razing?"
circumpolar

Yes, I agree.

"Times for loading and inbetween turns are rather quick: only about 4 minutes on my medium range notebook"
circumpolar

That sounds good!

"- By week 3, 1941, the Japanese have just conquered Kathmandu in Nepal from the British. They have got Singapore as well, Kuala Lumpur however remains in British hands. Manila is British (!). Communist China has been eliminated about this time. Nationalist China is still holding on to a few cities."
circumpolar

Somewhat better for Japan compared to other reports.

"- The Germans, myself, have conquered all of continental Europe except Italy, Tirana, and Barcelona, which is in Italian hands. Italy actually managed to conquer Brest-Litowsk for one turn, before being routed by Russian tank divisions. And Italy still has Addis-Abeba and Mogadishu in Eastern Africa. On the Russian front, I have made peace after taking away just a few border cities, in order to let the Russians catch up on technology. I have conquered Turkey as well, and I am currently contemplating my next move, probably the Middle East."
circumpolar

A good start I think.

"- Fighting for an extended empire all in all is much tougher, expecially on the Russian front, without many railroads to move about stacks of artillery (I do have a few rail links by now). Good thing, though."
circumpolar

Yes that was the intention.

"- Scientific progress is slow, but bearable. The Russians seem not to have made any progress so far. The British appear to be the fastest. They have a couple of Lancasters by now, and their bombing campaign is annoying, even though they rarely do any actual damage. However I have to have every major German city protected by fighters.

Keep up the good work!"
circumpolar

Thank you.
Its good to hear that research is OK although slow.

Thank you for the report and welcome back.

Rocoteh

Top Bottom