Ottoman UA with raging barbs - how's it supposed to work

eastwind

Chieftain
I set up a game to try to get the Barbary Corsairs achievement (as ottomans, convert 10 barb naval units).

I set up an archepelago map, standard size, settler difficulty, quick pace, only one AI opponent and no city states. I checked raging barbarians so there'd be plenty of them to convert.

I wasn't sure exactly how to do the conversions, so I read the Suleiman description in the CivPedia: "All melee naval units have the Prize Ships promotion, allowing them to capture defeated ships."

Seemed straightforward, go capture 10 ships. I built a single trireme and went hunting. I'd move up next to each barb ship, attack it, defeat it usually on the second turn's attack, sail the captured ship home, rinse and repeat. When I got up to 14 trireme's and galleys, never having lost any or built any after the first, I didn't have the achievement.

The achievement_debug.log file shows ESTEAMSTAT_BARBSNAVALCONVERTED = 0.

So I read the forums, where several people say the conversion is supposed to happen as soon as you move adjacent to the unit, before you attack. One person says there's a 50% chance of conversion. Well it's not working for me. I've moved up next to over 20 barb ships now, and not a single one has spontaneously converted.

I'm wondering if the problem is due to having turned on raging barbs? Does that bug the conversion? Or is conversion bugged in G&K completely? I'm on turn 104 now and I guess I can start again without raging barbs, but don't want to bother if its totally broken. Or am I still not getting something? The UA description doesn't really fit with this idea of moving up next to units, since it says you have to defeat them. The prize ships UA is definitely working, so what's this conversion thing?

Any help appreciated

Yeah that achievement was for the base game...it was when you attacked them they automatically had a chance of joining you. Now that they have changed that for Gods and Kings it won't work probably. Play the vanilla game ( gods and kings unchecked) and then go for the achievement.

Thanks, I didn't know there was a checkbox to go back to vanilla, but since you mentioned it I looked for and found it. And the vanilla description of the ottoman UA is different and makes sense with the achievement, so thanks very much.

Somehow I thought they had taken out any achievement that was no longer possible...

Thanks, I didn't know there was a checkbox to go back to vanilla, but since you mentioned it I looked for and found it. And the vanilla description of the ottoman UA is different and makes sense with the achievement, so thanks very much.

Somehow I thought they had taken out any achievement that was no longer possible...

All achievements are still there. case point is circumnavigating the world

Top Bottom